Philippians 3:21

biblememorization

(Tim Ramey) #1

@David_Cieszynski @kelelek @Keldon_Scott @joyce_yung @Jennifer_Wilkinson @JasonWalker @Michele_Schuman @Aradhana_Priya_Mehta

You did it! This week we only have one verse to sew up the chapter. Here’s something that I should have asked you last week but next week should we move on to the next chapter or do you prefer a week off in between chapters? Please let me know. The squeaky wheel will get the grease.

I hope that you would all agree but it seems like Philippians 4 was the favored chapter to next memorize. Would all agree? Thanks for those of you that gave input. As we memorize chapter 4, look over chapter 1 as some have thought that it’d be great to memorize the whole book. Forgive me if I’m getting ahead of myself.

Also, Michele, have you any more thoughts about the video gathering? David has offered some input but it seemed as if you had leads that could be more orderly. What do you think as this whole idea is totally foreign to me? I think it’d be a huge blessing if we could pull it off. I don’t intend to tell you what to do but could you look into it and give us some feedback? Sorry to come off presumptuous but I’d sure love chatting with all of you.

Philippians 3 in its entirety is concluded with this verse. I don’t mean to be flattering but just think - you have another total chapter that you’ve memorized. I find it difficult to discover anyone who has memorized chapters. You are such a blessing but so will you be blessed as God’s precious Word is stored in your heart. I cannot believe the number of times that it is there when I need it. I’m so encouraged to be among those who love Jesus and His Word! Here it is:

Philippians 3:21 who, by the power that enables him to bring everything under his control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body. (NIV)

Philippians 3:21 who will transform our lowly body to be like his glorious body, by the power that enables him even to subject all things to himself. (ESV)

Philippians 3:21 who will transform our lowly body that it may be conformed to His glorious body, according to the working by which He is able even to subdue all things to Himself. (NKJV)

Please remember to let me know if you are for or against a week interlude between chapters. And if we could keep our chat session moving would be wonderful!

(Tim Ramey) #2

Dear ALL in CONNECT
There is a group of 9 of us who have been memorizing chapters of the Bible. We are finishing up Philippians 3 and will be doing Philippians 4 next. It’d be a good time for you to jump aboard as we are NOT an exclusive group but would love to have you join us. Please consider it. I literally don’t ever wear socks and it is probably because memorization has blessed my socks off! If this speaks to you, go for it. We memorize two verses/week. It is very doable. We post the verses on Saturday and have the week to memorize the verses and retain the memorized verses. Try it. You will not regret it.

And one more thing - I always hear “I’m not the type who can learn chapters”. If I can do it - you can. I’m an old 68 year old man who was paralyzed when chimney collapsed on me. I was not meant to live but if, by some miracle I did, I was certain to be brain-dead. Even before my accident, I didn’t have the propensity for memorization. You just need a routine where you will give it the time and attention to do it. When something is important, you make time for it. It’s not a judgement to say that some would never think of missing their favorite football team play. God’s Word is eternal - football games are fun but temporal. I’m not guilting you into it. The Holy Spirit will guide each of you! Please respond if He’s tapping at the door to your heart!

(David Cieszynski) #3

Hi Tim,

I propose no break and we do 4 verse per week which will take us to Christmas. Just an idea

(Tim Ramey) #4

@David_Cieszynski @Aradhana_Priya_Mehta @Keldon_Scott @kelelek @Jennifer_Wilkinson @joyce_yung @Michele_Schuman @JasonWalker

Dear Friends, please respond to David’s ideas. David, as to keeping going, it makes no difference to me whether we break or not but I would not suggest 4 verses/week. Two verses/week is slow but sure. I can keep up with that much but I think 4 would do me in.

What do you all think?

(Theja Tseikha) #5

I’m in!! By the way is it ok if I join now, when the book is almost over? And also do you follow any pattern or model of memorization?
Thanks. :slight_smile:

(Tim Ramey) #6

@Theja

Dear Theja

My name is Tim Ramey and I am not the boss or leader, only the coordinator. I got it started by a post that I entitled “A Dare” where I wrote a challenge for others to join me in memorizing chapters of the Bible. I have an excerpt of it at the end of this post.

We are THRILLED to have you join us. I will post the verses to be memorized for the week ahead on Saturday. This week was only one verse as it was the last one in Philippians 3. I’ve asked the others if they want a reprieve before we do our 2 verses/week Philippians 4 verses but so far only David voted to keep going. If I don’t hear from others that we need a break, that is what we will do.

So, when we do Philippians 4, we will do consecutive verses. Thus, if we continue without a break, next Saturday I will post verses 1&2 of Philippians 4. The following Saturday verses 3&4 and will continue that way until we have finished the chapter. This team is just concluding Philippians 3. Prior to that, we did Philippians 2 and prior to that we did Romans 8.

You certainly can join now. We are only doing verse 21 as it concludes the chapter. If you wanted to take on a few verses prior to that, go for it.

Theja, is there a preference that you have for a your Bible version? I’ve posted it in ESV, NIV and NKJV because, I believe, that covers everyone’s version but mine. I’ve memorized in the RSV so I am sticking to that. But I will be happy to post the version you use if it is one other than the 3 that I listed.

Please feel free to raise questions or make comments, even if they pertain to verses that are past. It’s always so good to hear from others. The interaction is my heart’s desire. It always challenges me.

Theja, I am so encouraged that you’ve joined us. This group is made up of such precious believers. Thanks for coming along. Below is a lengthy excerpt of that post. Sorry for how long it is and I edited it too!!!

"I will warn you that this post will be long, but please read it and seek the Lord regarding it.

To have the Word of God in my heart has changed me. Think about it - when the Truth is in your heart, it manifests itself in times of prayer, trials, guidance etc. The Holy Spirit so creatively uses it. Often, if I awake during the night, I don’t have to find my Bible but I can just recite the various chapters that I’ve learned. So often, though I’ve quoted a chapter hundreds of times, as I am reciting it, something new jumps out and causes a sense of worship. It interesting that I’m currently reading the book about the Burnhams who were captured by terrorists in the Philippines in 2000 and held captive for over a year. They were without a Bible all of that time and they tried recalling the verses that they knew. They recalled many verses. I thought that they probably had wished that they had memorized more of the Bible. We probably will never be in that situation but we never know when we will need it. At all times, you are armed with the Sword of the Spirit. I think a chapter is so much more complete as thoughts are contextual as they flow from verse to verse. Often what verses become precious to us are not always the ones that we would have hung on our refrigerators.

What I often hear is “I am not good at memorizing scripture.” Believe me, it is not true because I am not proficient at it so if I can do it, anyone can. It’s planning how to go about it that is absolutely essential. How one does it will be different for everyone but I legalistically memorize two verses per week. As the verses add up, I learn the new ones and then go back to the beginning of the chapter and memorize it to date. That way I retain what I’ve learned while adding new verses. When the chapter is complete, I start a new one that I’ve felt led to memorize. As I proceed the same way as the chapter before, I then also include quoting the previous chapter in addition to the new one in order to retain what I’ve memorized. After awhile, you have quoted one chapter so often that it is really down so then I interchange what I’ve learned while moving forward with a new chapter. At times, when I’ve completed a chapter and feel not confident in retaining it all, I take a week off and use that week to review all of the chapters that I’ve previously learned.

Again, the plan on how to do it that fits for you is critical. There is no “one plan that fits all.” I am paralyzed so I handcycle. I memorize new verses but then, as my legs go straight out when I bike, I have the new verse as well as a few previous verses on a notecard that is clipped to my shoe! It is a blessed time where I bike and memorize and it leads to prayer for other as well. Obviously, you won’t do it that way but maybe you commute and are on the road a half hour each way to work. Put a card with verses on your dashboard and go over the verses as you drive. It redeems that time as you not only learn scripture but it leads to prayer as well. I also carry the verses in my pocket so when I am waiting for someone or just alone for a bit, I slip it out and review the verses in a matter of minutes. Everyone is different with various circumstances but the key to memorizing is devising a plan as to when you’ll do it. Good intentions will not work. You have to devise a plan on when and how it will work for you and stick with it. It may cause some tweaking. It doesn’t need to involve carving out more time in your day but be creative as to how to incorporate it into how you function already during your day. You will never regret it when you have chapters of God’s Word hidden in your heart.

No one can suggest a plan that fits all. It has to be important enough for you to devise a plan that works for you and stay with it. At times, quote the chapter to your spouse or friend, not to show off, but to pronounce the blessing of the passages to others while enabling for you to retain what you’ve learned. So often my wife will ask, while driving to recite, say, chapter one of Ephesians. Also, when praying with others, you’ll be amazed at how portions of a chapter pop out and dovetail with prayer.

Time does not allow me to go into how valuable memorization of God’s Word is but please, please consider joining me in this adventure. What I would propose is that I’d post two verses of a chapter each Saturday that would be memorized that week. The following Saturday, the next two verses of the chapter would be posted and so on. Obviously, they really need not be posted as the next two verses are just that -the next two verses until we reach the end of the chapter. Yet, I will still post the verses which will serve as a reminder as to where we are. As the verses are posted, determine what version you want to memorize from. Carson posted from the ESV but I have always memorized from the RSV so I stick to memorizing in that version. Choose the version that suits you even though the posts may be from a different version. The verses of the chapter is what is important and not necessarily following the version that is posted.

Who am I to do this? It is humbling for me but why I took up the challenge is the realization that it isn’t about my idea, but rather, incorporating God’s Word into the very fiber of our being. It is all about the Sword of the Spirit - the only offensive weapon that we have in fighting the enemy in the Name and for the glory of Jesus."

(Theja Tseikha) #7

Hello Tim,
Thanks a lot for your informative and encouraging reply. God bless this effort that has been started. Encouraged to see the genuine love for the Word of God in this group.
I’m excited and ready to do this along with you all. And yeah, the ESV version is good for me. Thanks again. :slight_smile:

(Kelly) #8

I’m a little behind on Chapter 3, but good to begin Chapter 4. I’ll catch up! Agree that two verses a week is good as that is an effort for me when considering other studies.

(chandra kishore sardar) #9

I would love to join the group and memorize verses. I personally have experienced the joys and help that comes along memorizing the verses early from my childhood. I am pretty late and would like to join with you all. And i prefer NIV one of the choices offered.
Thanks !

(Brittany Bowman) #10

Hello, Mr. Ramey. I’d love to jump in for the next chapter. It’s been encouraging to se you lead this. Thanks.

(Gabriela Calderon) #11

Hello!!

I am in for this challenge!! :grinning:

(Kelly) #12

Also, just throwing this out for down the road… Would anyone be interested in Hebrews 11? or for that matter, any chapter in Hebrews!

(Anita Mary Delores) #13

Hello Tim,
Thanks so much for your inititive in this memorising study! I wish to join… ESV is great for me too.
Kind regards… in Jesus
Anita Cornege

(joyce yung) #14

Thank you Tim.

JY

(Tim Ramey) #15

@David_Cieszynski @kelelek @joyce_yung @Jennifer_Wilkinson @Michele_Schuman @Theja @chandrakishore @Brittany_Bowman1 @GabiC @Anita

I am not going to heaven because I’m already in heaven! I am so blessed to have Theja, Chandra, Brittany, Gabriela and Anita join us. I am in heaven because they joined “my” group? Definitely not. Rather, it touches me that so many are so serious about our relationships with Jesus that we will not only read His Word but memorize it where the food of Life impacts our lives more than healthy eating ever could. I so long to be part of a fellowship of believers who realize the importance of having His Word in our hearts. I pray that you will be changed as the scripture penetrates deep into your hearts.

My lengthy post #6 above gives all the procedure we take to memorize the chapter. If you’d have any questions, please refer to that or post the question.

Kelly, I’m for Hebrews 11 down the road. I have memorized Hebrews 12 and it is a super chapter too.

Thanks for your little encouragements Joyce!

(Tim Ramey) #16

@Bible_Memorization_Group
Dear All
In concluding chapter 3 of Philippians, I think of the earlier part where Paul warns the church to look out or the dogs. Now, in verse 21 he speaks of those who live as enemies of the cross. Is he referring to the same opposition in both instances or are the second group fallen away believers as he speaks of them with tears? I do appreciate that it is a reminder to us to be on guard lest we fall away regardless of who he is addressing.

Who are the “dogs and evil workers” that we face today?