Philippians 3: 3-4

biblememorization

(Tim Ramey) #1

@Michele_Schuman @David_Cieszynski @kelelek @Keldon_Scott @Jennifer_Wilkinson @JasonWalker @joyce_yung @Aradhana_Priya_Mehta

Dear Brothers and Sisters who have God’s Word hidden in their hearts,

How is it been going for all of you? Could you still whip off Philippians 2 if someone wanted you to recite it? How about Romans 8? Please don’t perceive me as someone who is simply trying to promote discussion for discussion sake but I think all of us would love to hear of the variety of ways that He is using scripture in your life.

A number of years ago, prior to my memorizing chapters, I would memorize random verses. Philippians 4:8 was one that I learned and it says, “Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is gracious, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.” I used this as a litmus test to determine if my thoughts fit these criteria, which really helped. But now, as I go through life, considering the truths in the chapters that I’ve learned, I realized how much time my mind wasted in such a variety of ways. it’s so good to lie awake at night and think on whatever is true. It has really changed me.

Here are the verses of the week:

Philippians 3: 3 For it is we who are the circumcision, we who serve God by his Spirit, who boast in Christ Jesus, and who put no confidence in the flesh—
Philippians 3: 4 though I myself have reasons for such confidence. If someone else thinks they have reasons to put confidence in the flesh, I have more: (NIV)

Philippians 3: 3 For we are the circumcision, who worship by the Spirit of God and glory in Christ Jesus and put no confidence in the flesh—
Philippians 3:4 though I myself have reason for confidence in the flesh also. If anyone else thinks he has reason for confidence in the flesh, I have more: (ESV)

Philippians 3: 3 For it is we who are the circumcision, who worship in the Spirit of God and boast in Christ Jesus and have no confidence in the flesh—
Philippians 3: 4 even though I, too, have reason for confidence in the flesh. If anyone else has reason to be confident in the flesh, I have more: (NRSV)

It’ll be interesting to see how the Lord will use these verses in our lives. It’s a reason why I like to learn a chapter - because you memorize verses that you’d most likely never learn otherwise. Think of the verses that you see on refrigerators. It’s not a put-down at all but it is exciting when the Lord can speak to us in verses that we would have never chosen before and yet they are so rich. Jennifer, I’m with you regarding those chapters in Chronicles though.

Hope the week is special for each of you!

(joyce yung) #2

Thank you

JY