Philippians 3: 9-10

biblememorization

(Tim Ramey) #1

@Jennifer_Wilkinson @JasonWalker @kelelek @Keldon_Scott @Jimmy_Sellers @CarsonWeitnauer @joyce_yung @Michele_Schuman @David_Cieszynski @Aradhana_Priya_Mehta

Dear Brothers & Sisters
Are you ready for some of the most profound verses in the Bible?!?! That comment could be interpreted as slightly over the top. However, prior to my paralysis, the Lord laid verses 10 and 11 on my heart and they have become some of my life verses. “I want to know Christ” never loses its punch - we can get to know Him more and more until we see Him face-to-face. I trust that Philippians 3 is unfolding so much about who Jesus is to you as it is to me.

I want to thank you for praying for me during my surgery. Jennifer, Carson, Joyce, Kelly, Jason and Jimmy, thank you ever so much for taking the time to send such a loving greeting. I am so humbled by the love showered on me by the Body of Christ. Thank you. I have to admit, I thought i’d be cruising after my surgery as it was two weeks ago today but I’m still a bit flat.

I don’t want to confuse threads, but I have not been diligent in relaying and pulling together those who had prayer concerns. I’m sorry. I’m a bit behind but I will still do so. Just to consider within this memorization group the very desperate needs is sobering. Please forgive my evaporation act as I want so much to ask as well as make comments on our verses. Again, please share questions or insights with us all as I think it encourages us so much. One comment that I’ll just throw in is how, I don’t think we realize how Paul had it made. It was as if a celebrity or a president of a nation gave it up for Jesus and saw the coveted position as garbage! Paul had it all but saw it as nothing because it didn’t include Jesus. I’m so grateful that we have that attitude. Because of Jesus, we have it all and no one can take it from us.

Here are this week’s verses. It is interesting that the NKJV has it but in the text, it means that the word “it” is italicized. Maybe it will turn that way when it posts but I had never seen that before. Also, verses 9 and 10 pick up and end in mid-sentence.

Philippians 3:9 and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God on the basis of faith.
Philippians 3:10 I want to know Christ—yes, to know the power of his resurrection and participation in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, (NIV)

Philippians 3:9 and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God that depends on faith—
Philippians 3:10 that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, (ESV)

Philippians 3: 9 and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith;
Philippians 3: 10 that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death (NKJV)

Also, an unwelcomed reminder: Please keep in mind what you are desiring to memorize after Philippians 3. Can you believe that we are almost half way through memorizing the chapter already? Way to go Team! I sure appreciate each of you. Thanks. I cannot adequately convey how memorizing with you gives me such a deep bond with you.

(joyce yung) #2

Tim

I pray that you will completely recovery soon.

You can stop praying for me for now as I need to take a break. Too much going on in my life right now and I really don’t do well in memorizing the verses. Nothing bad happens to me just very busy in life. Learning how to take care of two 14 years old has been quite a challenge.

Thank you for all that you do. Keep up the good work.

I will keep you posted on what is happening in my life.

JY

(Winston Jones) #3

Sorry to enter a conversation that seems to be on-going and I do not know what has been said before, but Philippians 3:9 has a special meaning to me.
There is some difference of opinion on how to translate the verse. The old KJV
says “through the faith of Christ”; the NKJV says “through faith in Christ”.
Briefly, the difference is this:
Do I rely on my faith in Jesus which is up one day and down the next, strong through one crisis and cowardly through the next, (think about Elijah in 1Kings ch. 18&19) or do I rely on Jesus’ faith that brought Him to earth as a human being, saw Him through `growing up without sin, then through His ministry, arrest, crucifixion, death, and resurrection, all while relying totally on the Father?
Personally, I trust Jesus’ faith, not my own. I hope this is as helpful to you as it was to me when I was made aware of it.

(Tim Ramey) #4

@WinstonJones
Don’t ever apologize for jumping in as that is what Connect is all about.

Thanks for your mention of the different translations and clarifying those differences. I have heard of your position before as it has been applied to Ephesians 2:20 as well. My reply is that I think it is not as pronounced a difference as you say but is more in keeping with Ephesians 2::8 For by grace you have been saved through faith; and this is not your own doing, it is the gift of God–
Eph 2:9 not because of works, lest any man should boast.

It is saying that we are to never trust in our own efforts but it is a gift given through grace. Faith is still a response to the Holy Spirit that tells us to take hold of the gift that is given to us. It is as if you were to give me a million dollars if I would simply stand up and walk forward and take it from your hand. I would never say that it was my faith that gave me the money. That would never enter my mind. But I would say that it was out of your generous heart that I received the gift.

I’m not taking issue to your response Winston as it was a good point. I’m only coming at it from a different angle that in life, we owe it all to Jesus.