Philippians 4:17-18

biblememorization

(Tim Ramey) #1

@Bible_Memorization_Group

Dear biblememorization tag team!
No, you have not overslept or are not hallucinating. I am extremely early in my Bible verse post this week. We are still visiting our daughter in California, we head to Minneapolis on Friday and on up to a friend’s funeral on Saturday. Thus, I am forced to post this coming week’s verses early again. I’d rather that you had it too early than too late.

Any feedback as to how the memorization is going would really be appreciated. It’s just like Our Lord to give me something weekly that makes direct application to the verses. I’ll be curious to see how these play out.

As I have gone back over what you have commented about what chapter we take on next, I have found these recommendations: John 15, all 4 chapters of Colossians and Romans 5. The reason I bring this up already is so that we are prepared to move forward when we have completed Philippians 4. In three weeks, we will be wrapping the chapter up. I don’t want to lose anyone but want us to decide together what we do next. Please determine to stay with us. You can do it. I’m not a cheerleader but am only urging you in eternal Words of Life.

With so many new brothers and sisters that have joined us, how can I say this any more gently but directly as to urge you to please memorize and retain these verses. It is not true that you cannot memorize them. Bite-sized amounts of 2 verses/week is manageable to the extent that if you slip up and don’t have things down pat, you can easily pick yourself up and move on. Just don’t let go of what you’ve already learned!!!

The verses that normally are posted on my Saturday are:

Philippians 4:17 Not that I desire your gifts; what I desire is that more be credited to your account.
Philippians 4:18 I have received full payment and have more than enough. I am amply supplied, now that I have received from Epaphroditus the gifts you sent. They are a fragrant offering, an acceptable sacrifice, pleasing to God. (NIV)

Philippians 4:17 Not that I seek the gift, but I seek the fruit that increases to your credit
Philippians 4:18 I have received full payment, and more. I am well supplied, having received from Epaphroditus the gifts you sent, a fragrant offering, a sacrifice acceptable and pleasing to God. (ESV)

Philippians 4:17 Not that I seek the gift, but I seek the fruit that abounds to your account.
Philippians 4:18 Indeed I have all and abound. I am full, having received from Epaphroditus the things sent from you, a sweet-smelling aroma, an acceptable sacrifice, well pleasing to God.(NKJV)

Regardless of the translation that you memorize, please read all three posted to grasp more insightfully what Paul is saying. If you have another translation that you memorize, let me know and I’ll add it. I care for you all!

(joyce yung) #2

Thank you Tim.

JY

(Tim Ramey) #3

@Bible_Memorization_Group @Lauri

Hey Gang, I have a couple of comments and questions.

First off , I want to welcome Christina, who is our latest fellowshipper on the memorization team. I’m sorry that I was remiss in welcoming some of you new ones that hopped in as I was out of town. Along those lines, Lauri wants to join. Could one of you let her know how you joined? (Lauri, I will be in touch with you soon about those articles that you sent.)

I also want to encourage your feedback on the next chapter that we should memorize together. In post 1, I listed what I’m aware of as possibilities.

The verses from this and last week also evoked a comment from me and that is that, though we can do everything because we are strengthened in Jesus, Paul was still so touched and appreciative that the Lord used the Philippians in the work of the Gospel. Jesus does it but He sometimes uses us to accomplish His work.

Finally, I have a question. In Philippians 4:17, it says “Not that I seek the gift, but I seek the fruit that increases to your credit.” Paul receives financial backing from this church but what is the fruit that comes from the gift? The fruit increases to the Philippians credit. Any thoughts?

Jesus cannot be closer to you than He is right now. However, we aren’t aware of that until we let Him show us that He is right there - in every beat of our hearts.

(Tim Ramey) #4

@Bible_Memorization_Group
I’m sorry as it seems I keep writing to myself. (I have 3 of the 4 posts!) However, I had to add something.

it dawned on me that if you don’t proceed in memorizing, not only isn’t more being added to the Word within, but you eventually lose most of what you did memorize.

I want to use myself as an example. I have learned many chapters and as I continue my routine, had them all down while learning 2 new verses every week. However, I have been gone for 3 weeks and out of my routine and as I was biking today, I was amazed at how chopped up my chapters had become - already I’d forget a verse here or there in the more newly learned chapters.

So there are two things I’d like to emphasize not as a pro but a brother and that is to keep going learning new passages. Your mind doesn’t explode because there is too much in it. If it is not scripture, your mind will be full of other things which are probably not up to par with God’s Word.

Secondly, keep reviewing. The small amount of time needed to review is a whole lot less than starting over again.

Thanks!

(Christina lampidaki) #5

Hello everyone, thank you Tim for welcoming me. Looking forward to share the Lord’s word with you all.

(Tim Ramey) #6

There are famous verses and our current chapter has a number of them. Yet, memorizing with this group, I’m just bubbling over with insights and the basis for my opening comment is the reason for two such remarks.

I’ve known “Php 4:13 I can do all things in him who strengthens me” and used it so often in my journey. But I saw it in a new light as it has been memorized in context of the chapter.

The verse means just what it says but as it is lays between Php 4:10-17, I believe Paul is saying that he can do anything in Jesus but there are times that He strengthens us through each other. Your gifts to me were indispensable - it was the way Jesus provided for me - but as important as your gifts were, the fruit of those gifts was even more mightily used for Jesus to strengthen me than the money itself.

Secondly, that verse showed me that often I single out a verse and if it had not been for this group resolving to learn ALL of chapter 4, I would have missed the value of these so-called lesser verses. Learning the whole chapter gives me such a holistic interpretation.

It’s so good to memorize a verse because it is the next one and then, there are treasures in those verses. I’m not discerning what are the “good” verses but ones I’d never consider stand out.

(joyce yung) #7

Welcome Christina. My sister’s name is also Christina. Therefore I will be able to remember you. Have a blessed week.

(Tim Ramey) #8

One question that I have about Connect is, with all of the new members signing up, why they are not deluged with posts. Though they are not long, that is why I so appreciate @joyce_yung - Joyce your posts are concise (I have a lot to learn from you!) and you are involved. No one signed into this tag ever needs to feel any obligation. But I would think it normal to get a flow of remarks, questions, etc. Don’t hesitate as I’d personally love to hear from you - even where you are from. I even envision a world map where I would post your name near where you are from for I do pray for this team. A few of us did that once but could you just mention where you are from so we would all know? I’m from Grand Marais, MN - way north on Lake Superior near Canada.

(Jason Walker) #9

It could be the fact that the concept of this app is very radical and the new members could possibly be observing how everything works. I am Jason a Jamaican :jamaica: born & raised living in Florida by way of Atlanta

(Lauri Jones) #10

Thank you @Tim for tagging me in your post. You are correct in your assumptions @Jason, where I am concerned anyway. I have been monitoring this post and also trying to learn how to navigate RZIM.

I am in Alliance Alabama, an area West of Birmingham.

Concerning Php 4:17-18, I wonder if Epaphroditus could be the same person as Epaphras in Col 1:7.

(Tim Ramey) #11

Jason & Lauri - thanks for your information. Could you give me the city where you live as I am pinning a Google map with everyone on it? I put you in Jamaica for now Jason. I hope it works as I am a bit inept. If I pull it off, I’ll post it for all of you.

Lauri, I’ll post you separate about your info that you sent earlier but you bring up a great insight. I would never had associated Epaphras with Epaphroditus but I looked into and many feel that they are the same individual. Thant’s what I mean by remarking because you know or see something that the rest of us don’t.

Lauri, contact @CarsonWeitnauer to join us.

(chandra kishore sardar) #12

I am from Nepal. :blush:

(Brittany Bowman) #13

Hello, Tim! I noticed your concern in being the only one speaking here… I love reading what you say, so please keep sharing! It’s an encouragement, and I appreciate your practicality in finding a niche here in Connect to spur us all on to love Christ more. I’ve been quiet because I got behind in memorization with joining this thread during my finals week. However, I want to say I do love reading your thoughts each week. Thanks!

I go to school in Oklahoma but consider my family’s small farm outside of Washington, D.C., home. :smiley:

(chandra kishore sardar) #14

I echo @Brittany_Bowman1 . I do really appreciate what you do and totally understand that i can feel a bit unrewarding at times but we never know how it can speak to someone in daily life. Just want to encourage you from Galatians 6 : 9 . God bless !!

(Tim Ramey) #15

Brittany & Chandra, thank you for your kind words. I just don’t want to appear to dominate as I am only part of the team.

This group is about memorization and I’m not trying to make it more than it is, but I do feel a burden to pray for you as well. I know that Kelly, Joyce, David and Jason also see the importance of prayer and have posted on the following thread called “Prayer & Updates” or could post it here as well.

Also, keep letting us know where you are from as I am making a map with everyone on it. If you are from a larger country like the USA, could you give the city as well?

I so much appreciate the close group that we have. How I pray that Jesus is using His Word to speak to each of us.

(Jason Walker) #16

Jamaica :jamaica: is fine, it is where I was born and raised, where I have a house and most of my family. In Florida it is with my wife and children.

(Lilibeth Aviles-Chakrabarty) #17

Hi! I’m from Puerto Rico, currently living in Saint Augustine, Florida. So happy to be here with you all! Would love to get engaged in the prayer part of the team as well, as I have been reading about Intercession and am very moved by it. God bless!

(Tim Ramey) #18

@LAviles @Bible_Memorization_Group @Lauri
Lilibeth, thanks for your address. I wanted to include this link about intercessory prayer. It is called, “The Role of Prayer in Spiritual Awakening” by J Edwin Orr and is about 26 minutes. I’ve really appreciated it. In fact, Lauri and the rest, please watch it if you are interested in intercessory prayer. Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW9Bb5tkOO4

Lauri, please sign up if you want to join the memorization team so I don’t have to tag you on but you’d just be listed under the team. Thanks!

(Jason Walker) #19

Welcome @LAviles GOD bless you

(David Cieszynski) #20

Hi Tim I’m with @Brittany_Bowman1 in that I get alot from your posts and the posts other people put up. In some cases I mean to reply and as with my life at the moment time runs away.

I have an analogy for the frequent posters, think of a house, people like me who dip in and out of posts are like bricks, with the frequent posters being the mortar that keeps us together and strong.