Philippians 4:19-20

biblememorization

(Tim Ramey) #1

@Bible_Memorization_Group
Due to your gracious remarks, I do feel the freedom to post more often. Please keep in mind, we all need challenging in our thinking. The freedom that we have in Jesus is that we don’t have to agree on everything but as I had said another time, as Euodia and Syntyche were to agree or have the same mind, it is the truths that focus on Jesus that we must be of one mind on. Some things that strike you or you see a new way, may not only be something we didn’t see but something we disagree on. It’s great to be challenged so don’t hesitate to post an opinion, question, remark etc.It’s dull if we all think the same way. Why post because we already think that way? Rather, it’s great to have His world shed new light because one of you mentioned something that I would have never thought of or maybe do not see that way.

The chapter will be coming to a close soon. What’s next? I mentioned what input I recall. What do you all thin? It really matters. Also, be open minded to memorizing a passage that would not have been at the top of your list because often the ones that we least expected, the Lord grabs us in a way we never would have expected.

Even those of you who sent me where you are from months ago, could you do so again so we all know where we are from? I’m putting together a master pin map that will have where we all live. If I could hear from everyone, I will finish it and send it to you all. I find it a great tool for prayer for each other. Do pray that the Holy Spirit will enlighten our eyes to see what He has for each one of us. We have 29 of us together. May Jesus keep us caring and praying for one another.

I so appreciated verse 17 that emphasizes not the gift but the fruit that the gift bears to the giver!

The verses this week don’t vary much with each translation. They are good verses to have if we need to catch up at all as they are pretty straightforward:

Philippians 4:19 And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:20 To our God and Father be glory for ever and ever. Amen. (NIV)

Philippians 4:19 And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:20 To our God and Father be glory forever and ever. Amen. (ESV)

Philippians 4:19 And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus
Philippians 4:20 Now to our God and Father be glory forever and ever. Amen. (NKJV)

These verses are my prayer for you!

(David Cieszynski) #2

Hi Tim,

I live in Bolton, United Kingdom

(Tim Ramey) #3

Thanks David and to the rest - keep the addresses coming as I have about a fourth of them now.

Verse 19 makes a promise of God supplying our needs. Some of us have children that are not walking with Jesus. I really need them to be listening to the Holy Spirit. Under this promise, is this my need or would it be their need? I’m not trying to do a mind twister here but what do you think?

(Tony Hacker ) #4

Hello Tim.
I believe it depends. Are they adult children or younger children? Just curious because I believe there’s a different dynamic from grown children out of the house verses children still under your roof.
With that being said I have a couple verses that come to mind for those different dynamic situations

1. Proverbs 22:6 NASB — Train up a child in the way he should go,
    Even when he is old he will not depart from it.
  2. Psalm 49:7-8 NASB — No man can by any means redeem his brother
    Or give to God a ransom for him— For the redemption of his soul is costly,
    And he should cease trying forever—

On one hand it’s your need and on another it’s there’s. Hope that adds a watt to the ever increasing light. God bless.

Ps. Im from Illinois in the United States

(Tim Ramey) #5

Tony, thanks heaps for your input. In some ways, I should extend my question beyond my children to say that I have staff that I love and want them to know Jesus. Is that considered a “need” of mine? Also, Tony, where do you live in Illinois. I have a Google pin map so am zeroing you right where you live.

Please give me your feedback about the next chapter to memorize all. Again, what has been suggested is: John 15, all of Colossians, Romans 5 and Philippians 1. Anyone feel strongly about these or others.

Also, I hate to be a bother but I’d love to get you on my map. I only have a few of you so far.

Paul uses the word rejoice three times in this chapter. “Rejoice in the Lord always and again I will say rejoice” is sandwiched between the clashing women and remarking that he is content with much or nothing. I want to be able to genuinely rejoice in all circumstances like he does. He’s learned a secret.

(Lauri Jones) #6

Pray for them, it’s their need for salvation;
JOHN 6:44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him:

It’s your need to keep the faith;
1 JOHN 5:14 And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us:

Live your life as an example, we never know how God may use us;
JOHN 12:24 …еxcept a grain of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit.

I vote for the book of Colossians. And I would love to know Paul’s secret also.

(Tony Hacker ) #7

If you think of “need” as something very important then yes, but it is not a necessity as an essential for your salvation like our “need” for forgiveness or an essential “need” for survival like food and water.
God does say in Philippians 4:18-19 NASB — But I have received everything in full and have an abundance; I am amply supplied, having received from Epaphroditus what you have sent, a fragrant aroma, an acceptable sacrifice, well-pleasing to God. And my God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus.
One thing you notice here is that God supplies us for what He has called us collectively and individually to do (calling/leadings).
Another thing you noticed is how when we are used by God to supply others needs, He is faithful to bring others to us to supply our needs.
But when it comes to salvation, Philippians 2:12 NASB — So then, my beloved, just as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out YOUR (emphasis mine) salvation with fear and trembling;
Sorry, some of this may be semantics, but I hope some of this helps bring added color to this topic. If God got His way just because of His love/need , the whole world would be saved (John 3:16) but even God doesn’t get all His desires no matter how Godly or promising they are.

2 Peter 3:9 NASB — The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance.

1 Timothy 2:4 NASB — who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.
Though unless your a universalist we know that this verse will not play out to our Lords wishes.

My brother from another mother but the same Heavenly Father!

I reside in Moline Illinois

(Tim Ramey) #8

@Lauri @SpiritfilledBerean
Lauri, that was a great, concise wrap up of my question. Tony, you and Lauri had some insightful thoughts that were all based on scripture and that’s what it is all about! Thank you both for taking time to respond and again, it wasn’t your ideas but you used God’s Word to make your points. Thanks.

Lauri, sometime could I get where in Alabama you are from. Tony, thanks for letting me know where in Illinois you live.

I would urge all of you to continue to give us your preference of what we would memorize next. It’s hard because I don’t want to lose anyone because they don’t prefer what we memorize. I know that you have more going on than this thread but could all of you who have not said where your from and what your memorization preference please let me know? Maybe you could give your top three choices and go from there? Any better ideas?

(Jennifer Wilkinson) #9

Sorry I’ve been scarce on here lately. A couple months ago my sisters and I had the opportunity to start and lead a ladies Bible study at our church, and that’s taking a fair amount of my study time. I’m still with you on memorization, though.

I’d be happy to memorize any of the chapters mentioned. I’ve found the second half of Romans 5 rather challenging to memorize in the past. If that’s what we choose, I’ll do my best, but we should be realistic about what we’re diving into. If anyone has great hints on how to remember the end of Romans 5, I’ll take them. I’ve struggled through that passage twice already, and it didn’t stick well.

@Tim_Ramey, do you have me on your map? I’m in Eau Claire, Wisconsin.

(Lauri Jones) #10

I’m in Alliance Alabama @Tim_Ramey

(Tim Ramey) #11

Yes Jennifer, I remember you most well. My wife and I wanted to make one of your concerts as you are on the way to our daughter in Illinois. We also have a dear friend who is a staff of ours in Eau Claire as well. I’m sure we’ll meet you someday. I so look forward to meeting many who have conversed online.

Thanks for the feedback on Romans 5. I doubt if we’ll do that one. Do you think most would want to spend a year on Colossians? What do you think of breaking it up with another book or do you think it’d be smart to do it all?

I’m so glad that you wrote as I missed your input. I’m glad you are still with us. Have you found it as good as I have talked it up? Jennifer, the Lord has given me such a heart and love for this team. I’d miss you if you dropped out. Please stay on!

(Kelly) #12

I’m doing a study on Colossians, so am all on board with it as the next focus. However, I also would like to throw out Hebrews for some later date maybe. There are lots of great verses and thought provoking verses!

(Jason Walker) #13

Thank you for this prayer @Tim_Ramey. I pray the same for you

(Jason Walker) #14

My wife and oldest children need salvation. I need direction to be the priest, provider and protector of my family as GOD wishes. @Tim_Ramey @Bible_Memorization_Group

(chandra kishore sardar) #15

Since most have opted for Colossians, i am good with that.
I am from Nepal.

(Darlene Medford) #16

I am Darlene - I live in Raleigh, NC. Colossians sounds like a good idea to me also.

Darlene

(Tim Ramey) #17

I’m eccentric but thank you Darlene, Lauri, Chandra and Jennifer for updating me regarding your residency. The map is filling out.

Anyone led to pray, which has been one outcome of Bible memorization for me - please keep Jason in prayer. If you go to the thread “Prayer & Updates” it has some past posts from Jason giving particulars. I will be praying Jason.

In regards to Colossians, I am for it but just asking if you are willing to put the next year into it? I calculated the number of verses and we would be at it for close to a year. Does that sound good? Would you want to take another chapter from somewhere else after completing Colossians 1 or would you want to keep at it as to maintain the contextual aspect of it?

Anyone who has signed up, we are honored and privileged to have you join us. However, when it comes to deciding what chapter to memorize, the ones who speak the loudest to me are the ones that will actually do it because when we decide, I’m committed, Yet, one of you was hoping for John 15 and Kelly would love to do something in Hebrews. (I’ve done Hebrews 12 a while back and I love it! Hebrews 11 does intrigue me too,) Anyway, do you get what I’m saying. I’m in so I want to do whatever we decide with those who intend to truly do it.

The remaining verses after this week’s is a almost what Paul is saying as he heads out the door. I see this weeks verses as the summation of the total book of Philippians. They are incredibly powerful verses. Our God sure is a great God! He’s so mighty but is all love.

(David Cieszynski) #18

Hi Tim, if we go down the Collossians route I think it would be good to do the entire book, at least then in the year God will have grounded us a entire book.

(David Cieszynski) #19

Hi Jason, it’s hard to say and easier to give advice when you’re not in the situation. I would say “true love is the freedom to love” (Ravi Zacharias - Beyond Opinion), so try not to go ‘overboard’ on your witnessing but be yourself live your life as Jesus wants you to.

(Tim Ramey) #20

Thanks for your input, David. I plead with anyone else who has an opinion to state it while we have time. Please speak your mind.

Hey Gang, in Philippians 4:12, Paul learned the secret of being content in all circumstances. What is the “secret”?