Philippians 4:23

biblememorization

(Tim Ramey) #1

@Bible_Memorization_Group

Dear 33 Saints

This is the last week in Philippians which only has one remaining verse. I figured the easier week would allow us to catch up and be ready to begin Colossians 1 next Saturday (my time).

Because I wanted to give you a short summary on Colossians, I will not write anything else as the post will get too long. Do please keep sending your names and addresses - please! Also, post any comments or questions. I enjoy other opinions and perspectives.

First is a bit on Colossians in preparing for next week.

Colossae was a celebrated city of Phrygia, in Asia Minor. It was in the southern part of that province, nearly directly east of Ephesus. In the latter part of the reign of Nero, and not long after this Epistle was written, Colossae, Laodicea, and Hierapolis, were at the same time overwhelmed by an earthquake. Colossae recovered. The gospel was first preached in Phrygia by Paul and Silas, accompanied also by Timothy, though it has been doubted whether Paul ever made it to Colossae.

Epaphras, who most believe was also referred to as Epaphroditus, had preached the Gospel to the Colossians and gave Paul an account of how they had heard and received the Gospel; of their faith in Christ and their love of the saints. He also declared to him in what danger they were in through some false teachers among them who were for introducing the philosophy of the Gentiles, the ceremonies of the law of Moses, and some pernicious tenets of the Gnostics. Paul then writes this epistle to them, to confirm them in the faith of the Gospel Epaphras had preached to them and to warn them against these evil workers and their principles. It was written by the Paul while in prison in Rome. It was written about the year 60, in the second of the apostle’s imprisonment, and in the sixth of Nero’s reign.

Below is the final verse of Philippians 4:

Philippians 4:23 The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit. Amen. (NIV)

Philippians 4:23 The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit. (ESV)

Philippians 4: 23 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen. (NKJV)

The end of a good book!

(David Cieszynski) #2

Thanks Tim

(Tim Ramey) #3

@Bible_Memorization_Group @Andrea @Anita
David, your 9 letters may not seem like much but it is encouraging. Sometimes I question whether my posts are helpful at all. Should we share posting with someone different doing it each week? I’m game to do it but I don’t know if you tire of hearing from me.

Also, I am getting more proactive about finding about each other. Since a post can only contain a few names on it, Carson set up the Bible Memorization group to take on more. So I’m wondering about posting two names each week. So this week, going in alphabetical order, I chose Andrea and Anita. Could you tell us your full name, where you live and a line or two about you? If I post your name and you do not want to do what I asked, please respond and let me know that you do not want to be added to the map. I thought it’d be encouraging to see a world map with pins where we are all from. I also find it more personal knowing a few things about each other. Would you mind? Thanks and just let me know if you decline. Thanks again.

(David Cieszynski) #4

Hi Tim, nice idea about taking turns on posting. I cannot commit to that until June when my Lay Reader training ends :grinning: you would need to lay some ‘ground rules’ beforehand so we know what we’re agreeing to. But it would be a safe area and for those who are not use to do something like this to give it a try. Would this posting be in addition to the your Bible memorisation posts?

(Tim Ramey) #5

Good to hear from you again. I was wondering if people were tired of my posts so does it make sense to have others post the memory verses? Again, I don’t mind and like to see it through but wonder if I wear anyone out?

Andrea and Anita, the pest with a capital “P” is hounding you for the response to the post.

Dear Believers, I care for you but give me any candid opinions.

(Darlene Medford) #6

I truly enjoy reading your post. Makes me think of Paul writing to the churches, being connected as brothers and sisters in Christ. It is heart warming having another connection with fellow believers who find the word of God precious.

From gathering our addresses - is there a map that is visible on sight for us all to see? Just curious.

Thank you for posting,

Darlene

(Tim Ramey) #7

Far from thinking that I’m a Paul, but in writing to all of you I have that feel of a close fellowship.

Great idea about the map. I was holding on to it until I got all of the blanks filled in but maybe this would be an incentive to send me your info. (To those who haven’t yet.)

The map is a Google Map with pins. If you hold the mouse over a pin, it gives the name and town of that individual. You can take and revolve te world to see where everyone in our memorization group lives. Here’s the link:

https://www.google.com/maps/@20.6667175,-82.5790186,4z/data=!4m2!6m1!1s12npP11ry5AlTxn9N64Ips16g1HG2Ph8Y

The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit!!!

(Ogah) #8

Good day @Tim_Ramey I recently joined so the only verse I have seen is the last post concluding Philippians. I’d like to participate more in the group, so maybe like @David_Cieszynski said some ground rules and what is expected of us would be helpful. Regards

(Ogah) #9

As for the map, it keeps saying “you don’t have permission to view the map” It’d be fun to see it, so if you can check it out maybe the location settings or something like that. If there’s someone who’s able to view it outside the US kindly let me know so I will have to check my settings too. Have a blessed day

(David Cieszynski) #10

Your posts are often very apt and timely. You need to remember Tim, with posts people can read them when it suits them so I doubt your ‘bothering’ or ‘tiring’ anyone.

Don’t underestimate what you are doing in our lives and walk with God.

(David Cieszynski) #11

Access denied to map.

(Tim Ramey) #12

David, Samuel and Darlene
Thanks for your input. I’m not trying to be sour grapes but I often wonder if anyone even reads these posts. Thanks for recommending sending out Darlene and muchos graticious to you David and Samuel as the map works for me because it is my creation so I would not have known how to get this to you. My son said that I need to share, so all of you in Connect, go to the link below and you should be able to see what I do. Please let me know either way - if you can or can’t get it up. If it works, save the link as I think as I update, you will get the updates.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=12npP11ry5AlTxn9N64Ips16g1HG2Ph8Y&usp=sharing

(David Cieszynski) #13

Thanks Tim.

(Tim Ramey) #14

Dear Fellow Believers Whom I so Care For!
Regarding my Google map that shows where we all live if you send me the info, you will need to go to the link in the post above (#12?) Once there, it sends me an email asking if I want to share it with you, which I do. So far Carson, David, Samuel and Darlene have asked for and been granted permission.

Am I the only one that is impacted visually? In other words, it blesses me so much to see dots all over the world where you live. Then, when you come to mind, to pray is so much easier for me where I can “see” where you live. Odd guy, aren’t I?

Just a thought: Verse 23 says, “The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit.” Paul doesn’t use small talk - superficial greetings, etc. Why does he close with that verse? Isn’t Jesus’ grace with us when He comes into our lives? Is he encouraging us not to close the door on His grace to us?

(David Cieszynski) #15

I find it interesting to see that the majority of us are in the Northern Hemisphere, and no-one in Antarctica. I think to see where people are in the world will make us more sensitive to the different cultures we are in

(Tim Ramey) #16

@David_Cieszynski @samuelogah44
Good observation. I wonder if anyone in our group may be from Australia or South America? Samuel just makes it north of the equator.

Samuel, I’d recommend that you go back to the initial post that started the memorization group called, “A Dare”. In it, I discussed how I suggested proceeding. What is actually the most helpful is your interaction. If something strikes you or you have a question, even if it was regarding some of the verses that were weeks ago, your perspective is so valuable. As you memorize new verses and then keep reviewing past verses and chapters, fresh outlooks frequently come. Your input is invaluable!

(Ogah) #17

Thanks @Tim_Ramey am checking right now. Your posts are impactful, be strengthened!

(Ogah) #18

Sorry to be a bother, i can’t seem to find it. It only allows me scroll up to the point where i joined the group and no further. If someone can copy and paste or share I would be grateful. Regards!

(Tim Ramey) #19

@samuelogah44
Far from being a bother Samuel, I’m encouraged when you express interest in the subject. I’ll warn you that this post is long as I copied and pasted “A Dare”. Hope it helps. Please give me any input after reading it. Thanks Brother!

" A Dare

Members Lounge

daily_evangelism romansmemory

Tim_RameyAcademy Alum

Oct '17

Dear Connect Family

I will warn you that this post will be long, but please read it and seek the Lord regarding it.

Bible memorization has been instrumental in my walk with Jesus. I was so excited when Carson began a weekly memorization offer for anyone interested. Initially, many responded but as time went on, very few remained. I contacted Carson and as we discussed it, I commented that it was more difficult for me to retain the verses from different books of the Bible as opposed to learning two verses per week from a chosen chapter and to memorize the whole chapter. The verses are more connected, if that makes sense. The thoughts conveyed in the verses have a sense of continuity. I have memorized many chapters and I don’t say that with any sense of pride but with a sense of thankfulness. So I asked Carson if we as a group should do that? He said to go for it. My comeback was, if the boss doesn’t have takers, who am I that anyone would be interested. His reply was what would it hurt to try? So here goes…

To have the Word of God in my heart has changed me. Think about it - when the Truth is in your heart, it manifests itself in times of prayer, trials, guidance etc. The Holy Spirit so creatively uses it. Often, if I awake during the night, I don’t have to find my Bible but I can just recite the various chapters that I’ve learned. So often, though I’ve quoted a chapter hundreds of times, as I am reciting it, something new jumps out and causes a sense of worship. It interesting that I’m currently reading the book about the Burnhams who were captured by terrorists in the Philippines in 2000 and held captive for over a year. They were without a Bible all of that time and they tried recalling the verses that they knew. They recalled many verses . I thought, if only they had memorized more of the Bible. We probably will never be in that situation but we never know when we will need it. At all times, you are armed with the Sword of the Spirit. I think a chapter is so much more complete as thoughts are contextual as they flow from verse to verse. Often what verses become precious to us are not always the ones that we would have hung on our refrigerators.

What I often hear is “I am not good at memorizing scripture.” Believe me, it is not true because I am not proficient at it so if I can do it, anyone can. It’s planning how to go about it that is absolutely essential. How one does it will be different for everyone but I legalistically memorize two verses per week. As the verses add up, I learn the new ones and then go back to the beginning of the chapter and memorize it to date. That way I retain what I’ve learned while adding new verses. When the chapter is complete, I start a new one that I’ve felt led to memorize. As I proceed the same way as the chapter before, I then also include quoting the previous chapter in addition to the new one in order to retain what I’ve memorized. After awhile, you have quoted one chapter so often that it is really down so then I interchange what I’ve learned while moving forward with a new chapter. At times, when I’ve completed a chapter and feel not confident in retaining it all, I take a week off and use that week to review all of the chapters that I’ve previously learned.

Again, the plan on how to do it that fits for you is critical. There is no “one plan that fits all.” I am paralyzed so I handcycle. I memorize new verses but then, as my legs go straight out when I bike, I have the new verse as well as a few previous verses on a notecard that is clipped to my shoe! It is a blessed time where I bike and memorize and it leads to prayer for other as well. Obviously, you won’t do it that way but maybe you commute and are on the road a half hour each way to work. Put a card with verses on your dashboard and go over the verses as you drive. It redeems that time as you not only learn scripture but it leads to prayer as well. I also carry the verses in my pocket so when I am waiting for someone or just alone for a bit, I slip it out and review the verses in a matter of minutes. Everyone is different with various circumstances but the key to memorizing is devising a plan as to when you’ll do it. Good intentions will not work. You have to devise a plan on when and how it will work for you and stick with it. It may cause some tweaking. It doesn’t need to involve carving out more time in your day but be creative as to how to incorporate it into how you function already during your day. You will never regret it when you have chapters of God’s Word hidden in your heart.

No one can suggest a plan that fits all. It has to be important enough for you to devise a plan that works for you and stay with it. At times, quote the chapter to your spouse or friend, not to show off, but to pronounce the blessing of the passages to others while enabling for you to retain what you’ve learned. So often my wife will ask, while driving to recite, say, chapter one of Ephesians. Also, when praying with others, you’ll be amazed at how portions of a chapter pop out and dovetail with prayer.

Time does not allow me to go into how valuable memorization of God’s Word is but please, please consider joining me in this adventure. What I would propose is that I’d post two verses of a chapter each Saturday that would be memorized that week. The following Saturday, the next two verses of the chapter would be posted and so on. Obviously, they really need not be posted as the next two verses are just that -the next two verses until we reach the end of the chapter. Yet, I will still post the verses which will serve as a reminder as to where we are. As the verses are posted, determine what version you want to memorize from. Carson posted from the ESV but I have always memorized from the RSV so I stick to memorizing in that version. Choose the version that suits you even though the posts may be from a different version. The verses of the chapter is what is important and not necessarily following the version that is posted.

So what I would recommend as a start would be a long chapter but one that I feel every Christian should know by heart and that is Romans 8. Rather than just knowing that there is no condemnation for those in Christ and that everything works together for good for those that love Him, you’ll discover how rich the whole chapter is. I guarantee that it will speak volumes to you. What I’d propose is that all who read this post and would consider joining together to memorize it, would indicate their commitment to do so and that we would begin, not this Saturday but rather Saturday, October 14th. That way it would give time for everyone to take it to the Lord if this is something that He is leading you to do. If we have takers, we could start then. Admittedly, I have memorized that chapter already but will be in the process of learning a new chapter but be with you as I emphasize those verses personally each week.So please remember to indicate if you would feel led to join together in this adventure.

Who am I to do this? It is humbling for me but why I took up the challenge is the realization that it isn’t about my idea, but rather, incorporating God’s Word into the very fiber of our being. It is all about the Sword of the Spirit - the only offensive weapon that we have in fighting the enemy in the Name and for the glory of Jesus.

(Ogah) #20

Wow wonderful. Am in!
My experience with scripture is that i can usually recall the words of the verse i need per time but i cannot tell where they are gotten from, technology has helped in bridging the gap so far but it would be great to have the complete citation in memory too. The examples of the kidnapped missionaries and your driving recitation make it very necessary.
Thanks for taking the effort to re-post this, and FYI I don’t have a problem reading long posts as long as they’re meaningful. Blessings!