Philippians 4:3&4

biblememorization

(Tim Ramey) #1

@Bible_Memorization_Group

Dear Memorizers

I lied. I said that I could not add members but I see where I could so I added your names Michele, Keldon and Jason because you specifically said that you wanted to do Philippians 4. If you have changed your mind, delete yourselves so I don’t keep bugging you.

Just a thought before I post the verses; Joyce made a great observation about the women in conflict in verse 2. I so appreciate your perspectives. Her comment led me to dwell on the verse. I’d like your feedback but as I considered Paul’s directive, I don’t think you can force someone to agree. In the body of Christ, we’ll always have disagreements. We have had that happen in this group and this observation could lead to another one! But I sense what Paul was saying to Euodia and Syntyche was to have different ideas all you want but do not let it get in the way of the fact that you both agree that Jesus is Lord. The verse this week even discusses their involvement with the gospel.

Different perspectives are healthy and they round us out but the reason for church splits is because they forget that the church is there because it is focusing on Jesus. Let’s disagree but may it never lead us to lose the foundation of why we are together - because we love our Lord. Comments?

Especially to those who just joined us, I post the verses in the NIV, ESV and NKJV because it covers the versions that everyone is memorizing from. If there is another version that you use, let me know and I’ll include it. I realize that you memorize, most likely, from your Bible and don’t “need” this post but my intention is to see the wording what all are memorizing. The post, in general, serves as a reminder that it is time to memorize the next two verses. Please do not be discouraged if you get behind because with only two verses/week, you can easily catch up as some weeks will be easier to memorize than others. Just don’t give up. You’ll be so grateful that you kept going when learned the chapter.

Here are the Words of the Lord for us this week:

Philippians 4:3 Yes, and I ask you, my true companion, help these women since they have contended at my side in the cause of the gospel, along with Clement and the rest of my co-workers, whose names are in the book of life.
Philippians 4:4 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! (NIV)

Philippians 4: 3 Yes, I ask you also, true companion, help these women, who have labored side by side with me in the gospel together with Clement and the rest of my fellow workers, whose names are in the book of life.
Philippians 4:4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice. (ESV)

Philippians 4:3 And I urge you also, true companion, help these women who labored with me in the gospel, with Clement also, and the rest of my fellow workers, whose names are in the Book of Life.
Philippians 4:4 Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice!

This week, let’s really live verse 4. The word “always” is the clincher!

(Keldon Scott) #2

Thank you Tim. Have a great weekend. Rejoice I say rejoice

(joyce yung) #3

I always thought /or taught Paul didn’t have a wife by his side. Or he has one before his conversion.

Some commentary said this loyal companion was Paul’s wife.

Now, I know Paul had a Christian wife by his side. Nice.

JY

(chandra kishore sardar) #4

Its alright. Thank you for pressing on and helping each of us to be serious about memorizing verses. I really feel the need to memorize and it clearly reminds me of the psalm where it says i have kept your words in my heart that i may not sin against you.
I personally believe conflicts in the way we process ideas is inevitable but what really matters is acknowledging that we know in part but the we see Him face to face everything will be clear as crystal.

(Tim Ramey) #5

@Bible_Memorization_Group

Chandra, it’s so good to hear your thoughts! It’s a great perspective that you have on conflicts. Thanks for taking the time, not only to memorize but to share your ideas.

Joyce, I’m curious where you came to the conclusion that Paul was married? Could you let me know as I’d like to look into it further. I did search briefly for it and this is what I found. https://www.gotquestions.org/apostle-Paul-married.html Could you give me your response to this?

I so appreciate Paul’s compassion for the disagreeable women in verse 3. Again, I’ve seen where he puts flesh on to his admonitions by practicing what he preaches…

(joyce yung) #6

https://www.biblestudytools.com/commentaries/matthew-henry-complete/philippians/4.html

Some think Epaphroditus, who is supposed to have been one of the pastors of the church of the Philippians. Others think it was some eminently good woman, perhaps Paul’s wife, because he exhorts his yoke-fellow to help the women who laboured with him. Whoever was the yoke-fellow with the apostle must be a yoke-fellow too with his friends. It seems, there were

JY

Proper Use of External Links