Philippians 4:5-6

biblememorization

(Tim Ramey) #1

@Bible_Memorization_Group

Dear David, Kelly, Jason, Michele, Joyce, Keldon, Jennifer, Theja, Chandra, Brittany, Gabriela and Anita

It is necessary that I post this today as I will be out of town for the next few days. The @Bible_Memorization_Group brings up all who are in this group but if someone else would like to join, it’s not too late. We are on verses 5-6 of Philippians 4. Let us know and we’ll include you.

To the rest of you, because Carson so graciously set this up so all of you can be included in one post, I still like to address this with your names.

Joyce jarred me awake again. I have never heard of the possibility that Paul was ever married due to references to the fact that he was not married when a book was written. However, not until Joyce posted her comment that I realized that some scholars think that he was widowed or married later. Joyce based her post on, what all 3 posts called, “true companion” in verse 3. My RSV version as well as the KJV translates it as “true yokefellow.” I really appreciated the RSV here because that is what it literally means - to yoke together - often referring to a spouse.

It’s the only time that that particular word is used. I envisioned a yoke where two oxen work together under the same yoke. Isn’t that a wonderful image? Or Jesus and you are yoked together for life. We are told that our yoke is easy because we are co-yoked with Jesus. If Joyce hadn’t posted that, I would have missed that. I’m not sure that I’d take it as far as Joyce does that Paul was married but it made me sit up and listen. I got so much more out of that word due to her post. Thanks Joyce! It really makes a difference if you post a comment, opinion or question.

For those of you that just joined us when we started Philippians 4, we had been discussing a possible video hangout where we could interact with each other. Do you have any more on that David or Michele? That’d be great! When I post your names, I could “see” you.

Here are this week’s verses - they are familiar ones:

Philippians 4:5 Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near.
Philippians 4:6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. (NIV)

Philippians 4:5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand;
Philippians 4:6 do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. (ESV)

Philippians 4:5 Let your gentleness be known to all men. The Lord is at hand.
Philippians 4:6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; (NKJV)

Again, let us all, really focus this week on letting our gentleness be evident to all as we are anxious for nothing - praying and giving thanks to our Lord!! Praise God! May you have a week of really drawing near to Our Savior.

(joyce yung) #2

A Chinese proverb said when you know you will die, you will know how to live.

Remembering the Lord is near, Jesus is coming back soon. It all will be over soon and I will have to give an account for my life. That is a great motivation for me to live right.

Just think I will share that with you all.

Have a blessed week.

Go Bible memorization team !!!

JY

(David Cieszynski) #3

Thanks Tim, some thought provoking verses for me to pray on this week and some very applicable to. In relation to video communication, Michele is looking into the more practical platform to do it on.

(Tim Ramey) #4

@Bible_Memorization_Group

Joyce, I am forever grateful that you stayed with this group. You always have interesting bits to add. It does remind me of our lives in Jesus. When we die, we know how to really live. Thanks for precious insights!

Michele and David, can I nudge you in the direction of arranging for a video hangout of sorts?

Have more joined the group as this is going out to 18 people. Who’s all out there? Please share yourself with us. I so enjoy memorizing with all of you!