Philippians 4:7-8

biblememorization

(Tim Ramey) #1

@Bible_Memorization_Group

Dear Anita, Benjamin, Brittany, Chandra, David, Gabriela, Jason (gsama), Jason Walker, Jennifer, Joyce, Keldon, Kelly, Michele, Michelle, Joshua, Theja, Sujan

I found a way to see the names on the @bible_memorization_group and that is who I wrote to - all 17 names . My name Tim Ramey, was missing and the @bible_Memorization_Group did not come up so i hope that you receive this I will write to Carson after posting this. For those who aren’t sure what we do, if you go back to the Philippians 3:21 post and looked at the 6th entry, I went into detail as to how we proceed. Scripture memorization has revolutionized my walk with Jesus. The verses this week is instrumental of that.I will explain…

This week’s verses are Philippians 4:7-8. They will be familiar to all of you but, as I said, verse 8 changed my life. I memorized that verse and as I went through my day, I used that verse as my checklist to see how my thought life lined up with the command as to what to think about. If my thoughts didn’t line up, I knew it was not of God and I chucked it. I’m oversimplifying the process but the Lord used it to show me how much time that I wasted every day thinking thoughts that were not of him. Try it. If you have a thought that you question is of God, see if it fits the criteria of what verse 8 states that we are to think about. The eight aspects listed are not just some good things to think about - they cover the whole sphere of what our thought life is to be engaged in. When I wondered if I was thinking critically about someone, I measured the thought against the list and I could quickly see if it was right or not. It really changed how I think. The Holy Spirit used it so wonderfully. I need to refer to it less but I still use it if I question something that comes to my mind. If you do it and it is not what Jesus has for you - get rid of it. If it keeps arising, confess it and seek the Lord to help you think about what He has for you.

It thrusted me into using my mind to think about scripture and memorize it. Is that what the Lord wants for everyone? No. We are each a precious creation that the Lord feeds us as to what we each next need. But in my case, this verse led me to learn chapters which the Lord has used to instruct me so often as I go along the way. I cannot believe how much time I wasted being anxious or thinking about “nothings.”

I always apologize about sermonizing. Sorry. But any remark or question that you have the Lord could use to really revolutionize our lives. We NEED the BODY of CHRIST! Thanks for being there for us all. Here are the verses. Again, let me know if you’d like the posts in an additional version.

Philippians 4:7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:8 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.(NIV)

Philippians 4:7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:8 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.(ESV)

Philippians 4: 7 and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4: 8 Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. (NKJV)

To read God’s Word is wonderful - to have it in our hearts is transforming. May Jesus do so to each of us where He sees fit.

(joyce yung) #2

Thank you Tim

JY

(Tim Ramey) #3

@joyce_yung
Joyce, I so appreciate you and the encouragement that you always are. I’m so glad that you stayed in the mix as I get so much out of your insights and input. Bless your dear heart, sister and thank you!
In Jesus
Tim

(Theja Tseikha) #4

Thanks Tim. Was thinking you couldn’t have forgotten to post today as there was no notification. :grin: Found it thankfully! Thanks for your diligence. :slight_smile:

(Tim Ramey) #5

@Bible_Memorization_Group

Dear Team
Do you realize that there are 20 of us on this team - cheering each other on?!?! It started with Romans 8 over a year ago. Of this group, I’ve been blessed to have Michele, Joyce and Keldon join me in memorizing Romans 8, then Philippians 2, then Philippians 3 and now Philippians 4. Our intention is to memorize 2 verses/week as we complete the chapter, while retaining what we memorized previously. It is amazing how those verses have helped with direction in my life. To store God’s Word in our hearts is invaluable.

I just wanted to say a word about Philippians 4:6-7. On the one hand, those verses are great verses that encourage us not to be anxious in anything because as we offer it up to the Lord, He’ll guard our hearts and minds in Him. Yet we get down on ourselves because we keep having to deal with anxiety. But I find that as I beat myself up over not being victorious, I realize that I’M trying to do it and not letting HIM do it. God’s promises can discourage us and put pressure on us to produce but all along, He is only teaching us that His Word is true - we just need to let Him teach us to trust Him.

I’m so grateful that Our Lord has together, immersed in His Word. May He continue to make His Word alive in each of you.

(Brittany Bowman) #6

Thanks for sharing this, as it’s a really neat thought. It is encouraging to hear of your sincere desire to serve him, and also how you welcome his grace to do so.