Philippians 4:9-10

biblememorization

(Tim Ramey) #1

@Bible_Memorization_Group

Dearest Group

If anyone, not signed up to join us, reads this, please do not see us as some exclusive group. We are only brothers and sisters who see the value in memorizing where we learn 2 verses/week. You don’t have to be “good at it.” Anyone can learn two sentences in a week. It is more problematic retaining it but you need to personally come up with a routine of learning and retaining.

Prior to this post, my wife and I were discussing the importance of being quiet before the Lord. She is created in a way where she took a day - no music,no phone,no technology, no people - nothing all day long but her and Jesus. For me, my mind is always churning and that exercise would be exhausting. I’ve tried it and it is literally exhausting for me to remind myself to be quiet. So for me to be still and know that He is Lord is to have a focus that is not my design. Memorization takes my complete focus on what I am memorizing. They are not my own thoughts but I am concentrating on the Word that I seek to memorize. That is my being still before God. No thoughts of mine but thinking about what I am memorizing because it is impossible to memorize unless you concentrate on what the words are reciting.

It is another example how the Lord made us individually unique. Do determine how you can be still before Jesus and learn of Him. I find Him to be so quiet and I long for Him to be more talkative with me. I am finding that the learned chapters keep popping up and speak His Life to me. How I desire to grow closer to Him. Even the Pharisees knew the scriptures, but it did not penetrate their hearts. As we memorize, seek Jesus as how we can live out His Word - being doers and not hearers only. Here are the words to live by:

Philippians 4:9 Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.
Philippians 4:10 I rejoiced greatly in the Lord that at last you renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you were concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. (NIV)

Philippians 4: 9 What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.
Philippians 4:10 I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at length you have revived your concern for me. You were indeed concerned for me, but you had no opportunity. (ESV)

Philippians 4:9 The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you.
Philippians 4:10 But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at last your care for me has flourished again; though you surely did care, but you lacked opportunity. (NKJV)

I notice words that are repeated and this week it is that word “rejoice” again. What is He trying to tell us individually about that word in our lives?

We are about halfway through Philippians 4. What is the next chapter that we memorize together?

(David Cieszynski) #2

Thanks Tim,

These verses have been on my heart for a few weeks now.

Regards

David Cieszynski

(chandra kishore sardar) #3

Thank you again Tim for leading us and taking the time to do it.
As for me and my church here, the Lord has been speaking about rest. Rest in a sense, rejoicing in Him and locking up eyes with Him letting Him minister to our hearts which i believe in my own personal life i have mistaken for prayer( though its a part of it) or whatever that were just to-dos on my checklist. I echo your words from the last post.
I dont know if i hoping around but i would really suggest John 15 as our next chapter for memorization.
Regards,

(joyce yung) #4

I like when Paul telling others to follow his footsteps.

Like it or not, children follows their parents or some adults footsteps. Young Christians follow church elders’s lead.

This is a great motivation for us as an adult and old timer in Christ to live right with the Lord. In addition to be like Paul. Not be ashamed to tell others to follows us.

Eli didn’t correct his sons. He knew he was wrong because when God told him what he will do with his sons, he was ok with it. How would you like to have a dad like Eli? I wouldn’t!!! Just saying.

Merry Christmas to all of you.

JY