Phillip Bell

Hello all! Greetings from Battle Ground, Indiana. I started listening to RZIM podcasts way back in grad school in upstate New York, and found it to be a help at the time in engaging with my atheist and skeptical friends. Ravi’s guidance to engage in open discussion with curiosity, respect, and a mind to represent Christ stood in contrast to the withdrawn, suspicious approach I had passively learned from a lifetime of church attendance. Since then I have been very pleased to discover the new, outstanding podcasts from RZIM staff, and I listen often. Two of my three children are now pursuing undergraduate degrees at nearby Purdue, and I have several times found myself citing your work over the Sunday dinner table - often when I didn’t even know I remembered the material! So, I’m pleased to venture into this new “connect” avenue, give it a whirl, and look for more direct ways to engage!

3 Likes

Hello, Phillip, and welcome to Connect! It is wonderful to hear how RZIM has influenced your walk with the Lord over the years and how you have been inspired to share Christ’s light with others. I look forward to learning more from you here. Are there any podcast episodes that have stood out to you?

3 Likes

Hello @muttpuppy, very inspiring introduction, welcome! You have a gift with words. I was intrigued and can identify with this:

I also found it very endearing how you describe Sunday dinner, especially “at the dinner table” with your children. It was a blessing to read your intro. Enjoy browsing here. I am looking forward to your insight :pray:t3:

2 Likes

Hello Phillip, the RZIM podcasts also helped me a lot. They make you think and give good hints for conversations with atheists. And as you say, even when we talk to our children about God, the material can be useful. Connect is an ideal place to deepen different topics in direct exchange with others.

2 Likes

The two podcasts I listen to most are Ask Away and Vital Signs, although recently I was impressed with an answer by John Lennox in Just Thinking. (I do a lot of driving). Working backwards, John was answering a question about the age of the universe, which is a favorite personal topic that I’ve never fully resolved to my own satisfaction. His brief talk made me want to go back into Genesis and have another look (I haven’t yet). Cameron McAllister’s podcast is just plain fun, with how it ties to the headlines and hot topics in the culture. The other day I was on an errand with my youngest daughter and his current series on authority automatically started, and although we only listened to about 5 minutes, it ended up kicking off a good conversation about homosexuality and the presence that lifestyle has at her high school. Ask Away is the one I listen to most - probably because of all the laughter! The podcast about burnout was timely for a conversation with my Mom. And … wow. That little question really got me rolling! I did mention that I thought the podcasts were outstanding!

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing how the podcasts have been helpful in your day-to-day walk with Christ, @muttpuppy. It’s wonderful you were able to talk with your daughter about Christ.

1 Like