Please I have become a religious pluralist and an unbeliever how can I become a Christ follower again

Please I have become a religious pluralist and an unbeliever how can I become a Christ follower again

7 Likes

Hello again, @Onyedikach!
Apologies for how long it took us to get this question published. I can hear the urgency in your words…

First off, how did you come to conclude that you are a religious pluralist?

Secondly, I think there are some vital things all of us Christ followers do which helps us along on our journey with Jesus. Doing these things does not make us a Christ follower, but we do them because we are Christ followers.

1. read the Bible – it is here that we meet God and we see how He has revealed Himself in ages past…esp. through becoming a human: Jesus. Go meet Jesus in the Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, John), and see what he says.

2. pray – we also meet God in prayer, whether on our own or with others. If you don’t know what to pray, you can pray the Lord’s prayer (‘Our Father’…Matthew 6:9-13) or, my favourite, the prayer of the desperate father (“I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!” Mark 9:24)

Do you have any Christians with whom you could read the Bible and pray? I know you mentioned in another post that you have doubts. Doing the above with other Christians can help, as you can engage with the doubts with others and not just by yourself. Is this an option for you?

9 Likes

Hello Onyedikach,

Please be encouraged that it is never too late to return to Christ. Remember that Christ tells us that he alone is the way, the truth, and the life (John 14:6.) We all can get dragged down by idols; you pray for freedom from them and choose Christ alone, to follow him only no matter what. Without you answering KMac’s questions or elaborating, I cannot say more than that. But I pray you will find joy and peace in the One and Only God very soon.

4 Likes

Hello @Onyedikach

Thank you for your honesty to admit where you at in your faith. I’m so glad you trust us to receive that kind of an update and might offer some help and an answer.

I see in your statement the willingness to be Christ’s follower again. To be a religious pluralist is very difficult. There are some ramifications of it:
1.) The lost of truth
2.) The lost of meaning and purpose of life
3.) The lost of moral absolute

From being a religious pluralist to be a Christ’s follower is a difficult journey, but by the guidance and sustenance of God, He would make a path for you to go back to Him. These are some of encouragements I would like to give you:
1.) Know the uniqueness of Christ among other religious figure
2.) Know the authority of Scripture among other religious manuscripts
3.) Know the fundamental beliefs of Christian faith and how it is fundamentally different to other religious worldview

Ravi Zacharias often give us the standard of comparing religious claim:
1.) Logical Consistency
2.) Empirical Adequacy
3.) Experiential Relevance

And we have to answer four questions of life: Origin, Meaning, Morality, and Destiny

Only in the Christian where you answer these four questions with logical consistent, empirical evidences, and relevant to your life and mine.

Additionally, I would love to recommend you to read the book JESUS AMONG OTHER GODS by Ravi Zacharias.

I hope this helps!

7 Likes

Hi
There have been great answers already given.
I think you need to choose. To be consistent you can’t help but choose.
A religious pluralist as I understand it, is the idea that all religions lead to God or some sense of this. The problem is they may look a little similiar on the surface, they are very different below the surface. A religious pluralist would not accept Jesus’ exclusiveism. Jesus said that He was the way, the truth and the life and the only way to the Father. Only He leads to God and in fact claimed to be God. It is Him OR anything else.
Choose Him. Turn to hear him. Read John especially John 8. See that Jesus is totally unique and nothing else compares to Him. You can’t be a religious pluralist in a true sense and include Jesus because He puts himself out of and above this category. The road to Him starts with a small step. See who He is and you will not turn back. :slight_smile:
Pray for wisdom as you read the Gospels.

6 Likes

@Onyedikach Looking from the outside, I sense that you are very afraid of something. Fear can paralyze us. I have experienced this type of fear myself. Can you tell us what is causing you to be afraid so that we can walk with you through this valley of shadow? You can privately message @KMac or me if you like. I don’t want to embarrass you.

5 Likes

@Onyedikach Have you read the account of Elijah vs the prophets of Baal from I Kings 18? Elijah prays in verse 37 the following: “Hear me, O Lord, hear me, that this people may know that You are the Lord God, and that You have turned their heart back again.” Why don’t you pray this prayer to the Lord who loves you and WANTS YOU back. He will answer and help you. Read the account again and again until you see that God, the Father of our Lord Jesus, is greater than all other gods. And of course, read the book by Ravi Zacharias that was recommended to you. Do not be afraid. God is greater than our doubts. He is looking at your heart that desires Him.

3 Likes

Hi @Onyedikach, thank you for sharing such an honest question. I read it a few days ago and your question has been on my mind since then.

Would you be able to share what led you to agree with religious pluralism? I wondered whether either of the following points resonated with you:

Emotional reason: Is it that it seems unfair for Jesus to declare he was the only way? Some people struggle with the concept that there might only be one way to God, or they don’t understand how it can be so. In those cases, they feel that by opting for religious pluralism, they’re somehow able to avoid the big choice of choosing one or another, feeling that it might be a ‘fairer’ approach by taking the middle road.

Logic and reason: Sometimes when a person is reasoning faith through, they take each option and work it out in their minds with logic. Would you say pluralism is your final conclusion, or just a point along your journey of reasoning? The answers already given provide some good points to reason through with logic. I think that once you start uncovering the historicity of the person of Jesus, the evidence for the cross and resurrection, and the reliability of the Bible text you may find the rest of the Bible very compelling as clear proof that there is only one way to God.

I would be so interested to hear your thoughts on this and other points raised by the other responses :slightly_smiling_face:.

4 Likes