Please place your name here Donna

Hi, I’m Donna. My husband and I (and our 20 year old daughter who is in college) live in Southern California.

During the quarantine, I had the idea to start a Bible study via Zoom with my 2 daughters and soon to be daughter in law, who was raised Catholic. We’re studying a Nancy Guthrie series on Seeing Jesus in the Old Testament, starting with the book of Genesis. Great study! But it brought up questions for my (almost) daughter in law about salvation by grace, and how our works fit into that. She’s been researching and asking a lot of tough questions, which is what brought me to this site. Looking for answers that are biblically sound on some tough subjects.

5 Likes

Hey Donna, how wonderful it is desire to see others grow so inevitably we too need to expand as well. Looking forward to engaging with you. The difference between Protestant and Catholics is something I’ve recently been diving into myself so looking forward to hearing insights. Praying for your family
Abbi

4 Likes

Donna, welcome to Connect! Wow, what a blessing it must be to be able to carry on that bible study with your girls. And we learn so much when faced with tough questions. I hope you are able to find some answers that satisfy yourself and your soon to be daughter in law! God bless you sister! :blush:

3 Likes

Hi Donna and a warm welcome to Connect :slightly_smiling_face:. That is great that you have been able to start a Bible study over the lock-down period, especially with having the family participating. I hope that you enjoy interacting on Connect and that you are able to find answers to your questions.

God bless :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Welcome to connect @Donna1. So good to have you joining. And it was such a great idea for you to do The Bible study. I hope that the questions that get answered are satisfactory. God-bless you and your journey.

1 Like

Thank you all for your warm welcome! What a wonderful community - I’m so thankful to have found this site.

In my study in Genesis with my daughter and daughter in law, we are coming to Genesis 6-9, Noah and the flood. Since we’re already discussing the idea of salvation by God’s grace alone vs. my daughter in law’s Catholic understanding of needing to accomplish good works to be saved, I’m wondering how to deal with the apparent reading of the Scriptures that speak of Noah’s being saved because of his own righteousness.

Gen. 6:8: “But Noah found favor in the eyes of the Lord.”

Gen. 6:9: “These are the generations of Noah. Noah was a righteous man, blameless in his generation. Noah walked with God.”

And a lesser issue but a perplexing question regarding the passage at the beginning of Gen. 6:

Gen. 6:1,2: When man began to multiply on the face of the land and daughters were born to them, the sons of God saw that the daughters of man were attractive. And they took as wives any they chose."

I know this has been a debated passage…sons of God - angels? I don’t want to get distracted with side issues, but I want to be able to answer questions that might arise from this passage.

Thank you so much for your thoughts and input!
Donna

1 Like

Welcome @Donna1

1 Like