Poll: Which book should we read next? Cast your vote

(SeanO) #1

Greetings fellow bookies - what book should we study together next? Please select the one that you would be most interested in. Even if you have not read along with us previously, please do vote and join in!

May Jesus bless us as we seek Him and use the knowledge we gain to bless others :slight_smile:

• ‘Knowing God’ by J. I. Packer
  • ‘Decision Making and the Will of God’ by Garry Friesen
  • ‘Determined to Believe?’ by John Lennox
  • ‘Misreading Scripture with Western Eyes’ by E. Randolph Richards
  • ‘How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth’ by Gordon Fee

0 voters

12 Likes
(Lindsay Brandt) #2

Honestly, any of these sound great! There were two or three that I wanted to vote for!

3 Likes
(Linda Nikitin) #3

Tuesday, April 2, 2019
Dear Friends Who Love To Read,
I vote for “Determined To Believe” by John Lennox.
Blessings
Linnie

4 Likes
(SeanO) #4

@psalm151ls Yes, I like all of the ones I have read from that list a lot. Excited for the journey :slight_smile: Looks likes Lennox’s book is in the lead for now. I’ll probably call it at the end of the week and then we can dive in.

5 Likes
(Rose Amer) #5

I agree with Lindsay they all sound good. I was tempted to click J. I Packer’s Knowing God. He is someone I’ve been wanting to read more but I voted for Misreading Scripture with Western Eyes- interesting & true title. Now the only issue is I have to get that book.:grinning:

4 Likes
(Linda Nikitin) #6

Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Hullo Sean,
This will be my first time.
Please let me know if there is anything I need to know for this group.
For Example, Is everyone reading at his or her own pace, etc.

Respectfully,
Linnie

3 Likes
(Mitzi Witt) #7

I would love to be a fellow bookie!!! I very much learn from John Lennox. E.Randloph Richards book sounds very interesting also. Looking forward to it!

4 Likes
(SeanO) #8

@roze4jesus Yes - they are all great titles. We’ll see which one we’re doing at the end of the week. I’m a book worm - so always enjoy new books :slight_smile:

3 Likes
(SeanO) #9

@Linnie I’ll let you guys know when we select a book (end of the week) on this thread and then I’ll create a new thread for the 1st chapter. We will probably do 1 chapter per week so everyone has time to keep up.

2 Likes
(SeanO) #10

@mitwit Glad you are joining us :slight_smile:

3 Likes
(Linda Nikitin) #11

Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Thanks Sean!
Blessings
Linnie

2 Likes
(Kelly) #12

Looking forward to being a part of a book group! Will help me stay on track and gleam information from other’s perspectives. :slight_smile:

3 Likes
(SeanO) #13

@kelelek Excited you are coming along :slight_smile:

1 Like
(Isaiah J. Armstrong) #14

I was wondering if we could go off the board a bit but if not, I’m totally fine with the options. The two books that intrigue me are these here:

Obviously the first one would be a lot more philosophical, but I’m sure it would be an interesting read. The second one is written by a Christian making the case (apologia) for not making a case for Christianity (or at least doing it differently).

I voted for John Lennox’s book because I found D.A Carson’s review on The Gospel Coalition a strong critique.

1 Like
(SeanO) #15

@O_wretched_man Those are some great book suggestions :slight_smile: For now, we’re going to stick to the list because we only have a limited amount of time, but I do hope you’ll share what you learn from reading those books with all of us on Daily Evangelism, that we might benefit from them and share in what you are experiencing.

I’m actually going to purposefully avoid reading any reviews until I read Lennox’s book firsthand. I think one of the huge benefits of what we are doing in these book studies is that we can learn to think critically together as a community and to avoid predetermined judgments (see what I did there? :slight_smile: )

5 Likes
(Isaiah J. Armstrong) #16

Yes I see what you did there, @SeanO :stuck_out_tongue:

I also see why the reasoning behind your decision to avoid reading a review beforehand.

Anyway, I think I will refrain from reading my book suggestions for now because I’d like to focus on the book we decide on here.

3 Likes
(Scott Dockins) #17

I voted for John Lennox’s Determined to Believe. I am looking forward to reading whatever title wins the race. I’m pretty excited to have a group of brother’s and sisters to read along together. I love reading but I do not have any close friends who share my enthusiasm. Currently, I am on the fourth book of Augustine’s City of God.

4 Likes
(SeanO) #18

@O_wretched_man Excited to get going! Focus is definitely helpful when taking a deep dive into a book.

3 Likes
(SeanO) #19

@scottdockins27 Glad to have you along brother! City of God is definitely a classic work of apologetics.

3 Likes
(Linda Nikitin) #20

Thursday, April 4, 2019

Hullo Scott
Thanks SO MUCH for sharing, especially about The City of God by Augustine.
I think I read parts of it for a Christian College class 30+ years ago.
I remember being SO UPLIFTED by it. Do you know if it is available as an ebook?
I am thinking about reading it in the future.

Blessings
Linnie

2 Likes