Poll: Which book should we read next? Cast your vote

Can’t wait @SeanO

5 Likes

@SeanO,

I certainly agree with you that Augustine’s knowledge of the contemporary ideas of his time was most impressive. I find this to be true even when considering he grew up enmeshed within the Roman culture he was addressing.

A “character” of Augustine’s rhetoric that impresses me is how he navigated exposing the farces of pagan beliefs while appealing to the logic and cultural pride of his audience to examine the evidence for themselves, especially in the midst of national defeat, and (I assume) emotional demagogues blaming the Church for Romes downfall.

2 Likes

I’m joining in as well. I bought the Kindle version because my paper copy has been borrowed by someone else. :slight_smile:

I’ve often wondered also where confirmation bias fits into all of this; that is, my tendency to go looking for information that confirms my pre-suppositions. Anyway, it might be a bit early to talk about all the various types of bias. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

@matthew.western That is a great point. It is easy on issues such as this one to unknowingly start with your mind already made up and go looking for evidence to support your position. It will be great to unpack those tendencies together.

4 Likes

I guess we know which book you voted on by your profile pic :wink: that’s recent right?
I hope I get to meet him someday :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Woohoo! I could listen to Lennox all day! I’ll have my book in two days!

4 Likes

@psalm151ls Sounds great! I posted the intro - we will not do chapter 1 until next weekend, so plenty of time to jump in :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hahaha yes! I have learnt so much from him. I’m from cape Town, South Africa, and last year I got to attend a talk he gave at the festival of thought.
That’s when I took the picture. Really special moment for me.

I hope one day you get to meet him too!

5 Likes

@SeanO Ok, so I’m new at some of this, and should maybe know this, but… you mentioned that you posted the intro. How do we know when something new has been posted? I searched and found your intro, but only knew it was there because of your comment in this thread. Sorry, some of us are more technically challenged than others… :blush:

3 Likes

Here’s the intro, @kelelek! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

@kelelek Great point.

@CarsonWeitnauer Can we create a group ‘Interested_in_Book_Studies’ or one for each book study so folks can join it and get notifications?

2 Likes

Awww! Well hello from the opposite side of the continent :slight_smile:
Nice to meet you Christopher. Will see you around in the discussions then!

3 Likes

If you’d like notifications for posts about new chapters, join the group here:
https://connect.rzim.org/g/Interested_in_book_studies

Alternatively, you can set your notifications for the #book-studies Category to “watching” or “watching first post” - whichever is easier for you!

4 Likes

Thanks @CarsonWeitnauer! That should help you out @kelelek :slight_smile:

1 Like

none of these book available in Indonesia… :confused:

1 Like

@fortunatuskenzo Oh no - you should be able to get an eBook at least??? - we are studying John Lennox’s book ‘Determined to Believe’. Would love for you to jump in!

1 Like

This intrigues me as I love to read and discuss. This post is dated April 2nd. What is the timeline and have I already missed the beginning? John Lennox is superb.

1 Like

@plantaseed We are on chapter 6 at the moment. We read one chapter per week. Still plenty of time to jump in :slight_smile:

still searching for the e book :smiley:

1 Like

@fortunatuskenzo Here are a few links :slight_smile: :

https://www.christianbook.com/determined-believe-sovereignty-freedom-responsibility-ebook/john-lennox/9780310589815/pd/94928EB

https://www.ebooks.com/en-us/95899003/determined-to-believe/lennox-john-c/?src=feed&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuLqCtP-p4gIVSiSGCh1YbQUfEAQYAiABEgJb8_D_BwE