Poor Countries Vs Rich Countries

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering how could we answer someone who is questioning the fairness or even the xistance of God who created poor countries and rich strong countries.

6 Likes

That’s a great question. Do you think this falls under the ‘Meaning’ category we learnt about in the Core module, or the ‘Morality’ category? Seems to be a little of both.

Meaning: What is the purpose of human life?
Morality: How do you determine good and bad?

Seems that the person’s premise of their argument or question might fall under the meaning category, and then they are questioning God’s morality (fairness);

Do you think this person’s assumption of the meaning of life is just all about self, and getting more stuff. Could you open up the conversation by just asking them what their view of ‘What the purpose of human life is for?’

if we assume that God exists to give us a good time, make us rich or whatever; then this might be where the question of fairness comes in; why isn’t God making everyone equally financially equivalent.

It could lead to a deep conversation; you could ask the question of ‘Why did God allow me to be born into situation x, and not situation y’; but I think this just gets into endless ‘what if’ discussions and we need to ask questions about the real world as it is; not asking why God did not do possible scenario x.

If a person is questioning God’s existence; you could then move back to the ‘Origin’ category.

it’s a great question to ponder - and I’m looking forward to others thoughts too.

are you in the process of discussions with a friend?

4 Likes

Hey Matthew,

Thanks for your response, I think you are correct it might fall between Meaning & Morality.

This a group of youth at my church who started asking these questions recently.
They believe in the existence of God for sure, so I don’t think they are questioning the existence of God
Why did God create people living in extremely poor undeveloped countries vs others lives in developed good countries.
Since I heard this questions a lot form them, thinking of opening this discussion with them.

2 Likes

It is a really good question; teenagers are often the most thoughtful, and this really is a difficult question.

I think we could separate out their possible train of thought into two questions. God technically does not ‘create people directly into poor situations’; the poor situations of the world (hunger, need, poor living conditions) are a result of the fall of man in Genesis 3, when sin entered into the world. But yes he does allow and place individuals into these various situations.

I think we could ask a good followup question for the teenagers/youth group to think about;
‘What would the world look like if everyone lived by Jesus’ teachings?’ ; ie always followed ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself’.

Another question for teens after that might be; ‘Is it even possible for everyone to live by the high standards outlined in the Sermon on the Mount?’; then this might link into a conversation about what happens in our own hearts; the evil within. What do we do with that? It’s clear no-one can sort out themselves by just ‘doing better’, we all need a new heart which happens when we place our faith in Jesus. This is the hope for a better world.

I do think that there is an excessive burden placed on teens nowadays at the state of the world, and it can become a source of anxiety because they think they have to sort out the mess the world is in. We all need to be reminded that actually God is Sovereign, and He has world history under His control. We can and should do our little part in our corner of the world, but trying to worry about the whole lot for teenagers (and anybody) is too much of a burden in my opinion.

All the best as you reach the next generation; I’m also interested in helping younger people in our church.

3 Likes

Would I be out of line if instead of using the word create we might use the word allowed? Not to be contentious but when I hear the word create as it is applied to a nation or people group it almost sounds like they have no choice in the matter. From a Biblical POV even the Hebrews could reject Yahweh and live like they wanted to.
I think the idea of fairness is an interesting concept and I am going to stick my neck out and say that it is something that people are able to recognize that is wrong and needs a remedy from a very early age. I am sure that someone is shouting “that’s not fair” on a playground somewhere in the world even as I type. Even without knowing rules of a game or rules of behavior we recognize unfairness. I believe that it is part of being human and it is the first awakening or realization that something is wrong and this is by God’s design. C.S. Lewis calls this a type of longing that all people share.

This does not answer the youth group but I do believe that if they reflect on their question they will find that the answer is much deeper that economic parody.

Just some thoughts.

1 Like