Pouring Out Our Care and Anxiety to God in Uncertain Times

RZIM President Michael Ramsden explores the ancient rites of the Christian calendar to capture timeless truths for our modern moments.

Jesus steps into this world when we feel we’re in danger of being paralyzed by fear and takes us out of harm’s way. In that sense we need not fear…

Maybe we need to start by pouring out whatever our care and concern and anxiety is to him and then ask him to be at work in us.

Let us know:

• How is Jesus taking away your fear?
  • What helps you bring your anxiety to God?
3 Likes

Jesus takes away my fear when I remember just who He is, and to trust in Jesus’ words gives me peace.

“Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?" Matthew 6:25-26

To go through life always worried and afraid about certain things is just miserable, and that horrible feeling makes me go to God to find relief and to be at peace. I also don’t want to be a bad example to my children or anyone else around me by being fearful and that also drives me to bring my anxieties to our Lord.

3 Likes

I can see that you are copying and pasting quotes from this video, but where are you finding the text to highlight and copy?

1 Like

I can’t deny that at certain times I felt so worried and startled by what’s happening around me, I was neglecting and almost refusing his voice when he tried to calm me down! eventually I thought that things are far better when left to him, I threw all my anxiety and fears into his presence and asked for peace…
He is good and honest and keeps his promises in giving us the superior peace. yes I know nothing has changed around me but I have him and he has got my back :smiley:
I pray we can all start talking to God and bring all our thoughts to his presence and ask his guidance and companionship. many of our fearful thoughts are mere lies from the devil which can drift us away from our purpose.

2 Likes

What does the quote there is nothing to fear but fear itself mean?

So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is… fear itself — nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance. have nothing to fear but fear itself

Franklin D. Roosevelt famous words.
Wikipedia source

Two common fears
A fear of the unknown.
A fear of death.
My faith insights are, that the greatest unknown, known, to man is God and my fear of not wanting to know Him was overcome when I met Him because I understood who He was not who I thought He was. God was embodied in Jesus and to know Jesus is to know God.

Be safe and take care.
Mike

1 Like

HI @jlyons, sometimes I just type it out while listening. You can also find the auto-generated transcript in the YouTube options. Click on the “…” and then “Open transcript.” A great feature!

1 Like

“People are told that they need not fear what is in this world if we can have a peace which actually comes from outside of it” – Michael Ramsden.

“Even when we look at someone like Stephen, the very first martyr who died for their faith, even though the circumstances were against them, and there was so much uncertainty, in the midst of it they found a peace. Not because their circumstances were pleasant, but rather they had found a peace with God, which was able to transcend even the terror of the situation they find themselves in” – Michael Ramsden.

The world thinks Christians just close their eyes to reality and trust God despite their circumstances or despite the evidence that they refuse to see. But in fact, we absolutely trust God because of the circumstances, because of the evidence that we can see. Hebrews 11:13 says the Old Testament heroes all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off.

Later on, verse 27 says Moses endured by faith as seeing him who is invisible.

So Christians don’t believe things they cannot see – rather, they believe things the world cannot see! A man who isn’t born again cannot see the kingdom of God.

The wind blows where it will, and the world hears the sound of it but can’t tell whence it comes or whither it goes – but those born of the Spirit can!

So we don’t believe God despite the circumstances – we just see a whole other set of circumstances that the world is clueless about!

Stephen saw the mob picking up the stones, but he also heaven opened and Christ standing up for him beside the throne of God!

Remember how Gehazi feared the encircling Syrians until Elisha asked God to open his eyes? Then Gehazi saw chariots of fire riding above, and suddenly his earthly situation was no problem at all. He just needed the rest of the evidence!

So what evidence do we have that the promises of God are believable?

Well, did He change your life when you came to Him? Would that be good evidence that His promises are trustworthy?

Have you seen Him working providentially in your life ever since?

Has He ever answered prayers on your behalf?

Has He ever worked through you to make an eternal difference in the lives of those around you?

Has He blessed you financially as your sacrificial giving has proven Him?

Our trust in God really is based on evidence. We just have a whole body of evidence that’s unavailable to the world!

But while we don’t believe despite the circumstances or the evidence that we see, we do believe despite the obstacles. We see the obstacles that have Gehazi so worried. But we also see that there are more that be with us than with them!

We also see that greater is He that’s in us than in the world!

We also see that if God be for us, who can be against us!

Abraham saw the obstacles. He knew how old Sarah was – how old he was. He knew their human time limits.

But he also knew that there’s no time limit on the promises of God!

And a sinner may look at all the obstacles in his life – all the bondages that he cannot free himself from – all the relationships that he’s ruined – all the sins that have scarred his soul. And if all he focuses on is what he sees down here below, then yeah, he’s a pretty hopeless case.

But if He’ll look to the Savior Who bore his scars and sorrows, then he can find a whole new dimension of reality that he never saw before. And his life can be radically transformed!

1 Like

This is a great video to put fear in perspective.
I love the fact that he addresses the negative consequences of either acting or being paralice by fear.
Put it in a simple statement “fear is never a good adviser or motivator”. If fear is our state, then we need go come out from that state to start moving, but moving in the right direction.

Now, to answer the specific questions:
I find that Romans 8 is a good word to be reminded of how Jesus can take away our fear. Why? Because in this passage Paul addresses our hope, both future and present.
He first explains that nothing of this world compares to the glory to come, which is promised and guarantied in Jesus Christ.
Then, He explains that, while we await for that glory, God is still with us and He can turn every situation into something positive for us. I like to put it this way “God has the power to turn every tragedy into a poetry”.
So, how is Jesus taking away my fear? To me, by meditating in both the present and future hope that I have in Him.

Now, about anxiety, that’s a little more tricky. When we are dealing with concerns about our family’s well being and future, it is natural to fill anxious in times like these.
That is a feeling with which I struggle a little more. What has helped me, and still does, is renouncing control to the Lord. This means, realizing that there are many things that I can’t control or change, but He can, I just need to let Him take over and trust that He knows better.

1 Like