Practical politics?

The word politics has such broad meaning now. When attaching it to dysfunctional experiences phrases like “office politics” or “church politics” may come into a discussion. These terms seem to be confirmed with the definition that Jo cited from Merriam Webster: the total complex of relations between people living in society.

I thought it interesting that Vince mentions the etymology of the word “political/politics” has evolved over hundreds of years. My Barnhart Concise Dictionary of Etymology agrees with his observation. In 1436 it was cited as “prudent, judicious” which brings in our innate sense of justice and desire for good judgement and wisdom.

I would combine those definitions for my personal application so that I purposefully operate with a clear conscience and be willing to go the distance for Truth without sacrificing love and mercy. The wise and judicious relations between people living in society.

I cannot control how others operate in society, but I can manage my responses and my character.

Look, I’m sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as serpents and as harmless as doves. Matthew 10:16

What are some fresh ideas or thoughts you gained from this week’s Ask Away podcast discussion?

2 Likes