Pray for our daughter

Please pray for my daughter who is living a sinful lifestyle in addition to pushing away from the Lord. She rarely talks to us anymore. She knows we love her but she wants us to except her lifestyle and we won’t. Thank you .

10 Likes

Leslie, I am praying for you as well this week. Could you also post this in the Colossians 2:17-18 Prayer thread where you responded to my prayer requests? It consolidates the prayer requests for many of us. Also, I think all 82 in the group will see it and potentially pray for you. I know that some definitely will. By the way, I’m so happy to see you there!

5 Likes

@Leslie_Harris May the Lord Jesus give you great wisdom to love her well and to speak truth at the right time. Praying that the Lord would build bridges no one else could build and open her heart both to you guys and to His love :slight_smile:

Some resources you may already be aware of, but I thought they could be helpful:

6 Likes

I am praying now @Leslie_Harris

5 Likes

How do I do that?

2 Likes

Lift her up daily since I saw your first post :pray:

3 Likes

@Bible_Memorization_Group
Leslie, you responded to my post in Colossians 2:17-18 Prayer. You post there your prayer request.

1 Like

Leslie, your request opens the door tothe door to a discussion on another common practice among Western Hemisphere Christians in regards to cohabitation rather than marriage. Such is the case with our son who says he’s a Christian yet is now living with yet another woman. I find this just as disturbing as the transgender issue and so common that it is rarely discussed. Homosexuality and transgender issues are hashed out constantly. Why isn’t this issue as discussed since it is so prevalent among those who profess to be Christians? How can I broach the subject in love and in truth with my son and his girlfriend as well as with others who see no problem with cohabitation? (Leslie my heart goes out to you and I am praying for you!)

2 Likes

Thank you. My daughter’s sinful lifestyle is her living w another girl now “married”. I never in my weirdest dreams would have thought our daughter would end up this way. She claims to be bisexual. Makes me sad and sick. Im ready to explain things in a loving way to her but she wont have it. My hubs (her dad) says we should invite both of them to family stuff. I said sure but w restrictions. No showing affection to show respect to the rest of us that love her but dont agree w her live choices.

4 Likes

Yea though… lots of people claiming to be Christians living together before marriage. No one talks abt that.

2 Likes

Leslie, I am part of a prayer group for “prodigals” through Moms in Prayer. Many of these moms have homosexual or bisexual children or, like us, have a child who professes to be a Christian but is living with a girlfriend or boyfriend. The very best thing I feel I can do is not become angry at him but pray. When I do set limits (sleeping arrangements during visits) I pray before opening my mouth that I will show an attitude of tenderness and will explain with hugs (and perhaps tears if I feel sadness) that I wish it could be otherwise with the explanation that we will never stop loving our son no matter what. I also express love for the other person and pray for her each day. I fight spiritual battles on my knees rather than with our son. I pray for conversations about Scripture if the opportunity comes when we two are alone together but try to wait on what is a God-given moment. Otherwise, I’ll just meet with resistance and resentment. Having been down this road several times, I know that the Holy Spirit must bring conviction even as I gently hold my ground within our household. Blessings as you continue this journey.

3 Likes

Thank you so much! I really felt like I was the only mom who chose to stand her ground and not give in to a child’s demands like this. I only mention my daughter’s issues w trusted people who I know will not condemn me for not accepting her lifestyle.

Im comforted to know Im not the only one. Ive been wanting to find likeminded parents but never ran into them.

I pray for my daughter’s friend sometimes. Not as much as my own daughter. I feel bitterness towards them both at times. Anger that my daughter has chosen this KNOWING it’s wrong. My dream of a son in law, a wedding, grand kids just shattered for now. I feel like I dont even have a daughter. We have no relationship at all. I miss her so much. We homeschooled her so we were together all the time. Doing all kinds of things. Then… nothing. It’s painful to even think abt her great childhood bcuz I feel it was a waste! Ya know? I know that’s not true but it feels true righr now.

4 Likes

Scripture has helped me to stay grounded. Here’s one of my favorites:
“Our battle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.” (Eph. 6:12) Remember, we are fighting a spiritual battle and must use spiritual weapons such as Paul describes, especially the Word and prayer. I combine the use of those two as I pray.

I try to keep my spiritual eyes on the spiritual rather than the earthly realm. We must press on with our own faith and not allow Satan to cause us to lose our self-control, our attitude of forgiveness and mercy, or our faith in the incredible power of prayer. He surely wants to distract us and cripple our witness. We can’t allow that.

As I examine Jesus’ honesty and attitude toward sinners (such as me), I am amazed at how patient, loving, and approachable He was. He never excused the sin but he still found a way to relate in a loving way. That has been my goal: To model Jesus’ attitude of servanthood, grace, and forgiveness.

I regret my response the first time our son moved in with a girl. I wouldn’t speak to him or write to him. I didn’t acknowledge his birthday. I just cut him off. What did that accomplish? Nothing. We just grew farther apart. He needed a heart change. I can’t force that. If he stops sinning to please me, how will that improve his relationship with Jesus? My prayer is for a change that will be lasting.

I often pray Paul’s prayers for the Ephesian church found in Ephesians 1:17-21 and Ephesians 3:14-21. I encourage you to consider praying in that manner. It’s really helped me and has built my faith. I believe it’s only a matter of time until our son comes to acknowledge the futility of his lifestyle and the emptiness of it. I firmly believe that once someone has “tasted” of the Lord, he or she will find satisfaction in nothing else. Let’s pray our children will hunger and thirst for Him!

Much love to you, sister. This is a test. Keep pressing on in prayer and faith. Our God is able…

3 Likes

Thats’s a great verse! The Lord has drawn me closer to Him thru this. I love the Bible more. I love listening to sermons and reading Christian living and theology books. Some days, some moments, I will get down about things. I remember verses and what’s true abt God. I get thru. Of course Im still saddened abt my daughter’s choices, wondering if she was really saved as a child. Only God knows. Thanks for the verses.

2 Likes

The Ephesians verses I had marked in my phone Bible app. Great verses to pray!

2 Likes

And our prayers are enhanced through praying with others, especially by fasting and prayer. All those enslaved through sexual sin urgently need our prayers. Satan has bound them and blinded them. The more I pray, the more mercy I feel tow ards all LGBT and those enslaved to open and illicit sex. Those addictions speak to the emptiness of our culture and our inability to relate to one another in non-sexual ways. True relational health begins with a daily close relationship with our Heavenly Father. When that connection diminishes, other empty, meaningless obsessions creep in. So we all can ignore the Spirit and find ourselves on dangerous ground. The roaring lion stalks!

3 Likes

Well said!

2 Likes

You can count on my ongoing prayers!

4 Likes

I will pray. I am dealing with this with my wife

1 Like