Prayers for Conversion, etc

(Vili) #1

Hi all
Recently my friend and I had a really deep conversation about evolution, and he managed to beat me (:sweat_smile:heh heh) so I still have some learning to do.

But one of the things he mentioned to me (and we were really getting deep and personal here) was that he wasn’t willing to believe that there is a God, because he was afraid of the chance of this being a dead end to life. He valued the fact that I wanted him to know about God, but he needed something from God, something to show that he’s there, in order to start following.

I asked him if he ever prayed, and he replied that he did, but it was mainly things that he desperately wanted, like a a social life, friends, a good family, etc.

And I told him what I felt when I pray to God, I pray to Him for Him, because when I find out who he is, I find that I want to know more and more, and that in itself sustains me.

So I told him if he ever has the time, read the Gospel of John and pray for God, not for what you want out of Him, but that you want to know who He is, and if He’s there.

Sorry if this is a long story, but I wanted to give the full context as much as possible.

Here’s my prayer request:

Please pray that my friend actually comes to the Gospel, and that when he reads and prays, that God may reveal Himself to him.

Please pray that I may be able to receive the skills to do Apologetics, because I feel called to become an Apologist, and I feel this thirst for knowledge in order to defend my faith and Love God with all my mind, and wish to enjoy being with Him more and more and more and more and more.

And please pray for me to remain patient in this time. Maybe my friend never comes to the faith, maybe he does , but I don’t want to give up on this guy and never say that I didn’t try.

Pray that God gives me the strength to go through the humiliation if my friend was just there to mock me in the first place, and that in some way, whether my friend comes to the faith or not, that God may use this time to shape me into His image.

Please pray that I never lose my faith for the Father, and that He will help me in my doubts and seasons of suffering.

Please pray
All I can give is his first name:
Cameron

9 Likes
(Matt Western) #2

:slight_smile: well done for reaching out to your friend and having the conversation. it doesn’t matter that we win or lose a conversation so to speak - the fact that you are able to share is a win. I always re-think a conversation after the fact and wish I had done it differently, but have to stop that train of thought and just remember I did my best at the time and let God take care of the results of the conversation. The Holy Spirit is the one that convicts.

just rest in the verses in 1 Corinthians 3, where the Apostle Paul said he planted seeds, Apollos watered but God gave the increase. your friends life might be at the planting of seeds stage.

This really resonated with me, and I think he’s touched on the most basic of human needs: to know and to be known deeply. This is not a superficial longing for stuff that most people chase after (money, fame etc) because they are trying to fill that deeper need with what culture tells us we need.

He mentioned that he’s afraid that if he considers the fact that God exists, it will end up being a dead end. God is the source of life itself, and created mankind in his image (thus defining our value) - and we were made for relationship. In the Garden, Sin separated us from relationship with God, and broke all our relationships with each other. Without God, there is a big dead end - to everything.

… and God is showing your friend something: through your witness for Him. :slight_smile:

At some stage, a discussion maybe could be had about leading towards the ‘Meaning’ category of Ravi’s 4 questions of a world view (below: i keep them on my phone to remind myself of them).

If Richard Dawkins is correct, the statement is about the blackest hole a person can look into who is searching for meaning…

The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Have prayed through all your points you shared just now, and just really want to encourage you. Thinking of you both… A verse comes to mind also from the Apostle John:

"And this is what God has testified: He has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. So whoever has God’s Son has life; whoever does not have his Son does not have life. I write this to you who believe in the Son of God, so that you may know you have eternal life 1 John 5:11-13

(4 worldview questions)
Origin:
How do you think the universe came into existence?
How do you think human life began?

Meaning:
What is the purpose of human life?

Morality:
How do you determine good and bad?

Destiny:
What will happen at the end (at death)?

5 Likes
(SeanO) #3

@AlphaOmega Praying that the Lord Jesus would fill you with a spirit of wisdom and revelation in knowledge of Him and that He would open the eyes / heart of those you share with to see the glory of God in the Gospel of Jesus Christ :slight_smile: Also praying for wisdom to know when to speak and what to say and an identity that is so firmly rooted in Jesus that you can take any mockery or suffering for the sake of His beautiful name! This world will soon pass away, but those who do the will of the Lord will be with Him in His Kingdom forever! May Jesus use us that many others may experience His saving grace.

5 Likes
(Sieglinde) #4

In agreement with @SeanO prayer! :pray:t3:

2 Likes
(Mark Gilliam) #5

Thanks for sharing.

I will pray for you and your friend.

Paragraph 2 is very interesting especially when examined in light of Paragraph 3. It sounds like you are saying your friend would have to give up something that he is holding onto if God exists. Of course that is irrational in itself because not “willing to believe that there is a God, because …. of this being a dead end to life” has zero impact on whether God exists in reality. It sounds like your friend desperately wants relationships and activities that he perceives may not be compatible with Christian life. Is it possible that your friend is struggling with some inner demons and the desire for relationships that are inappropriate compared to what your friend knows about Christianity? Does this make any sense? Am I reading too much into what you wrote?

It can be very difficult to begin a new life that is different from what you think you want. Nevertheless, the Hound of Heaven, when on the scent, can change perceptions and your reality.