Preaching on Good Friday

easter
preaching

(Mitch) #1

Making final prep for tomorrow evenings preach. We are expecting quite a few not-yet-christians to attend… (being a Northern Ireland context there will be few if any who do not have some knowledge of the bible and the story of Jesus. )

From experience what have you found as the best approach?

1, Using a more apologetic style…evidences for death and resurrection of Jesus (Habarmas, Licona etc)
2, apologetics that focus in on the suffering of Jesus (strobe, Dr Davis etc)

3, Staying with a biblical passage/s such as ‘the saying of Jesus from the cross’.

From experience what have you found connects best with people?

I have around 25 mins

Any advice appreciated,

Blessings

Mitch

(Omar Rushlive Lozada Arellano) #2

Hi @Mitch. I pray that God’s Holy Spirit will guide you in the best approach on what you will preach for tomorrow.

If you ask me, it seems that what is best is staying with the biblical passages. Like if we talk about the death and resurrection of Jesus, we can talk about passages that shows the early church’s belief about it (1 Cor. 15 for example). I don’t think the apologetics should dominate it, but just enough for the person to want to learn more about it, enough to establish that it’s reasonable for a rational person to accept. And fundamentally or primarily, we need to make sure that the gospel is preached in the sermon.

I hope this helps. :slight_smile:

(SeanO) #3

I agree with @omnarchy. My opinion is that in preaching we are trying to clear the way for people to have an encounter with the living God through Jesus Christ - we are making a clear path for them to reach out to Jesus.

Regarding which route to take with including apologetics in the sermon, I would ask what the audience struggles with most - believing that the Gospels are real history? Believing that the Gospel can really change their life personally? Trusting the Bible is true? And in include apologetics in such a way that while the Gospel remains the focus, that key question is addressed.

Since you are in Northern Ireland and there is a deep Christian history - you may be able to focus on something very application oriented - like “How the Cross Changes our Relationships” or “The Gospel in Modern Society” or “Forgiveness and the Cross” and then just briefly touch on an apologetic concern or to you feel is important.

Hope those thoughts helped you brainstorm a bit. I would be curious to hear what you decided and how it goes.

May the Lord bless your time richly and open the eyes and hearts of those who hear!

(Natasha Morton) #4

I agree with all said, and as SeanO mentioned, a touch of apologetics is a great thing as well. I remember when I was just first starting to follow Christ, understanding things from an apologetics side actually helped me in some ways more, because sometimes things doesn’t really click if the person listening isn’t sure the Bible is accurate. But being able to add anything to help solidify may be an asset to someone on the fence, so to speak - in both understanding the Bible’s inerrancy and how awesome God is.

Good luck with the sermon! I’d love to know how it goes and what God led you to do! I’ll pray for you for the right words be spoken and for hearts to be open to listen and know God.

(Carson Weitnauer) #5

Hi Mitch,

Great question!! I think you want to give them enough to make a decision that evening, but you don’t want to give the impression you’ve given them everything. If it fits your capacity, I think it’d be fantastic to invite them to respond to the sermon by committing to an investigative/exploratory process to consider the evidence more thoroughly and rigorously. Something along the lines of:

“You’ve heard some clues tonight, some of you’ve have even heard enough to decide given what you already know, but some of you are now curious. You want to investigate. You want to look into Jesus more. We’re going to have an investigation group starting next Tuesday, why not sign up tonight?”

(Valerie Schuetze) #6

Hello. I find that people in our modern world wonder “why” God would choose crucifixion as payment for sin. They feel that the method seems very strange and harsh. Explaining why the shedding of blood was necessary and why the cross was necessary in order to save mankind is an important foundation, along with, of course, the separation from God that sin brings. Billy Graham always did an excellent job presenting the cross. May the Holy Spirit narrow down the right approach to you as you seek God for answers for that particular audience. Blessings!

(Mitch) #7

Thanks Everyone!
Very Helpful.
ill post a little update after the weekend…I’ve a busy few days of street outreach ahead.

(David Cieszynski) #8

Might have to borrow some of wording in the future. Happy Easter