Preaching on Worldview

Connect community,

I am preaching on the third Sunday of September at my home church. I have decided to teach/preach on apologetics. I am naturally a teacher so am considering how to incorporate constructivism into my sermon by asking the congregation to answer questions on: origin, meaning, morality and destiny. My understanding of preaching is that it is encouraging the church to action.

I would very much appreciate advice on how I can make this sermon very impactful. Any advice for a starting out apologist?

5 Likes

Hi Brian,

I don’t have any advice to give, but I do have a question.

What is Constructivism and how does it tie in with Origin, Meaning, Morality and Destiny?

My prayer for you is that your “message and preaching… [will be] with a demonstration of the Spirit’s power.”

Thank you and I look forward to your reply.

Grace and peace,
Mary Beth

4 Likes

Same question :slight_smile:

1 Like

@MaryBeth1 @Keith_Moore constructivism is perhaps the most important theory in education. It was introduced by Lev Vegotsky ages ago. It involves determining a students current level of understanding then moving her to a new level of understanding through a term called scaffolding. A student can only really learn in their zone of proximal development. Vygotsky also believed that learning is a social experience.

My plan is to move away from a speaking at people model to a more constructivist approach as I develop as a preacher. At the start of the 4 main sections I will pose a question. For example, for meaning, what is the meaning of life? The church will socially construct meaning in small groups before I bring them to the scripture.

I know this sounds very ‘‘man made’’ but I will and have been praying and soaking over this sermon for a long time now asking Holy Spirit for help.

The preaching then is to encourage the congregation to ask these four questions to people and to learn to listen. I will share excerpts from 7 interviews I did with people of different beliefs, asking the four questions.

Origin - Where do you think we came from?
Meaning - What is the meaning of life?
Morality - How do you know right from wrong?
Destiny - What will happen after you die?

I am also planning an altar call (eye closed hand raised) after I share on destiny.

1 Like

Interactive engagement helps participants learn but is hard in large groups.

How big is your audience?

1 Like

About 100.

1 Like

How long do you have? How will you attain the pace you hope to keep? May make sense to have some facilitators in your groups pre-determined that know what you’re doing and where you’re going to help with organization and pace. If you’re not going to have facilitators, then it may make sense to cut your material 10%-20% to ensure you don’t run out of time.

As you’ve thought through time management, how do you expect to keep it moving?

3 Likes

Hi Brian,
A very brief and insightful explanation about the Constructivism . Also I enjoyed those 4 question during my core module and interview. It helped me a lot to preach differently in my church. But when you ask the questions to the audience how you are going to control the time and enough answers to the connective questions the audience might ask? From my experience, instead of throwing the question, you can prepare questions and answers and preach from that ground. Also you distribute the questionnaire to the people to answer their worldview and collect it and answer their connected questions, or doubts during the consecutive Sundays.

I shall pray for you to get the heavenly insight to deal the situation.

God bless you
Dr. Joe

3 Likes

Hi @Brianlalor,

Given what you’ve shared about educational theory, do you think the talk would be more helpful if you only focused on one of the four questions? It seems that trying to cover all four might push people beyond their zone of proximal development? Whereas, if you only cover part of one question, this might help them really understand and engage with that theme in a deeper way?

4 Likes

@kumquat @drjoekku @CarsonWeitnauer thank you very much for your input. you have given me a lot to consider here. I have a practice of audio recording my sermons to analyze them about 3 times before I preach. I will do this for the first time on Saturday then will have my wife and a mentor provide feedback. I will consider the timing and volume of content carefully :handshake:

2 Likes

Brian,

That level of preparation is awesome. Wow! I expect through the HS leading and power and your preparation, it will go really well.

Maybe some slight tweaks from the comments will be helpful.

When do you preach?

Kevin

1 Like

@kumquat 22nd of Sept. Yes currently I spend about 3 months prepping for a sermon but only 30 mins for a lesson of the same length in school :smile:
I spent 1 hour last night soaking and just listening to Holy Spirit. I completely agree that without him, nothing is possible.
As Ravi said, ‘‘I don’t have a PowerPoint, I rely on Him for the power and I’ll make a point’’. :smile:
I really admire people who can preach week after week. It is an incredible gift.
I am also reading Preach like the Prophets by Carlson.

1 Like

I’ll add this to my prayer list. Please add an update after u preach to let us know how it went.

You honor Him with the quality of your service! Hope u have a good weekend…

Kevin

2 Likes

That’s awesome! God bless you and your preaching.
I also like to incorporate apologetics into sermons. But if I may offer a bit of advice…
There is a big difference between preaching a sermon and teaching apologetics. Perhaps you should use the apologetics sparingly and to enhance the sermon, rather than having it turn into an apologetics lecture.
The most important thing in a sermon is the Gospel. Make sure to end with a clear presentation of the Gospel and invite people to respond to the Gospel.
No matter what passage you choose to preach from, the end result should be the Gospel.
So if the solution is the Gospel, the question becomes “what is the problem?”
What can you find in the passage that is difficult for us to do? What exposes our weakness as humans? That is the itch. And develop that. Run with it a bit. Be real about the struggles we face. Then provide the scratch: the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
I also think it is important to pull out every bit of detail you can from your passage. Answer what the original author was trying to say to his original audience. Provide some context before jumping to what it means for us today.
There are tons of tid bits of advise I could offer, but I think that might be enough. Just keep at it and you will get better. And one of the most important things is be yourself. God made you the way you are with unique gifts and insight for a reason. So dont try to mimick someone else, just be yourself and be sincere. Share what you yourself have learned as you studied the passage.
I hope that helps.

2 Likes

Still preaching Sunday? Will be praying for you, brother!

Kevin

Yes sir tomorrow! Thank you very much for your support @kumquat
I have had a very difficult week, which I see as a good sign :smile:

1 Like

I agree - a good sign. The good news and efforts of His servants will always be resisted. I will pray it goes well, brother!

Kevin

2 Likes

The sermon went very well. I believe that after about two years of trying I have successfully made the transition from teacher to preacher :grinning:
I am very releived that it went so well :handshake:
Thank you very much for praying.

2 Likes

Hi Brian,

I was just getting ready to ask how it went and then I saw your post. I am thankful it went well!

Grace and peace,
Mary Beth

2 Likes

Thank you @MaryBeth1 at the end of the sermon a number of people came up to ask me questions and I was struck by the importance of listening to the questioner above the question. It was a great learning experience.

1 Like