Preserving one's culture

For the sake of preserving one’s culture .
Is it OK for the Christian to practice dances and songs practice by non-beliver/ forefathers.?

2 Likes

Ah, this is always a tricky question, @Gwe! Thanks for bringing it to the community. :slight_smile: Can I ask what the dances and songs of your culture mean? That is, what are you communicating to your community when you do participate as opposed to when you don’t participate?

2 Likes

Thanks for responding to my question Kathleen. [quote=“KMac, post:2, topic:20785”]
community. :slight_smile: Can I ask what the dances and songs of your culture mean?
[/quote]

M sorry that I won’t be able to tell you what they actually means. But must be to please their gods and spirit I suppose, because that was practice by people before they know Christ.
And that now in my community for the sake of preserving our culture and identity people are so much into those things which makes me confused sometimes.

1 Like

Imho, whether a Christian can/should participate is a multi-level question:

1- what is the significance of the dance? Is it religious in nature, similar to praying, or a sacriment? If yes…

2- is it being performed in a religious setting or with religious intent? If not, I cannot see the harm/risk. Lighting a candle in your home for light is not a religious act. Lighting a menorah is. Dancing in a club is not a religious act. Dancing as part of a religious ceremony is. Yoga, performed in certain circumstances is a religious act. But there is obviously ‘secular’ yoga. Wearing a hat is not religious, but wearing a yamulke is. If the answer is yes, the activity has a religious intent, then…

3- Is the Christian participating? There is nothing wrong with viewing other religions at work. Their poetry, dance, art and other contributions can carry beauty like any other human creation. But participation changes things.

We must, of course also temper these concerns with the very real fact that doing these things has no power. In the face of actions designed to worship a false God, all the participants are doing is a waste of time.

However, the Christian should ask, “what would a non-Christian think if they saw me doing this thing? Would they see me participating in a social activity, or in a religious act”? We must be examples of Christ’s way, for our own good and the good of those who see us. So appearances matter. That said, the safe answer is, if #1, above, is ‘yes,’ then it might be best to avoid the activity so no one can question your intentions. That said, of 2 and 3 are no, you may miss the opportunity to speak to those that need saving.

2 Likes

Thanks @EvoFaith For your response. [quote=“EvoFaith, post:4, topic:20785”]
2- is it being performed in a religious setting or with religious intent?
[/quote]

Yes it is performed by non Christian on their festivals.
Thank you for making your point clear.
It does really help.
God bless you.

2 Likes

I hope so. To be clear, I’m as full of questions as you, so take my ideas with a grain of salt. My wife and I happened to have had a long conversation about this topic recently, as a bunch of her friends are into yoga, and we were considering Andy Stanley’s statements on it. The framework, above, was what we finally came up with, and we think it to be sufficient to evaluate these kinds of things. You may find otherwise.

1 Like