Proof of objective morality?

(Theja Tseikha) #1

http://www1.cbn.com/churchandministry/what-makes-the-christian-message-unique

This is a follow question, from the above link posted in another topic, regarding the moral law positing a moral law giver and ultimately God; how can we say there exist an objective moral law when the very person comitting the act of evil considers it to be ‘good’?(Example- a suicide bomber killing in the name of religion). Not everyone considers the same act or thing as evil or good.
So in short if the moral law really is objective, what could be some proofs of the objectivity of it? Or how do we communicate to someone the objectivity of the Moral law?
Thanks

(Omar Rushlive Lozada Arellano) #2

This is a good question @Theja. The answer it seems to me, based on this question is that the question misunderstands what it means for there to be an objective moral law. Moral disagreements or different perception of facts does not negate the existence of objective moral values and duties.

An example I could think of for different perception of facts not negating the existence of objective moral values and duties is from the book, I Don’t Have Enough Faith to be an Atheist. The example given there is that on one hand, Indians believe that cows may possess souls of deceased human beings. And that’s the reason they don’t eat cows. On the other hand, Americans does not believe that the souls of their relatives may be in a cow, so they eat cows. So they still both agree that it’s wrong to eat Grandma, even if they may have different perception of facts.

Moral disagreements as well does not negate objective morality. People usually impose their beliefs on others by justifying it on what they consider as absolute. Even people who say that everything is relative impose that view to everyone as if it was absolutely true. Even disagreements on the interpretation of the constitution does not mean that there is no constitution. Scripture testifies that wicked people suppress the truth by their wickedness. This is true as we look at the world today.

Here is a good example of how to communicate the objectivity of the moral law: