Quae Tempus

““I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God, “who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.””
‭‭Revelation‬ ‭1:8‬ ‭NASB‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬

What is time? Time is a principle of organization, it is a system of measure, a facet of history and the ultimate method of restraint. A unit by which we can calculate any number of equations or scientific hypotheses. However as it regards the creation of the universe and the overarching cosmological and practical themes of time, one should have a basic understanding of the space time continuum’s and how they are interconnected not only with each other but with scripture. This understanding of time is very important to the deepening of our understanding of our relationship with God, our purpose and destiny.

C.S. Lewis penned, “Humans are amphibians, half spirit and half animal. As spirits they belong to the eternal world, but as animals they inhabit time.”

In Summa Theologica, Thomas Aquinas examines and accepts space time continuums with which we can conceptualize our proximity to God in time. God exists in His own ultimate timeless reality, “infinity”. The second continuum that exists below infinity is a created time frame wherein creation is contained, sustained and exists that is finite space time or, “finity.” The third and most interesting of all is the personal time we exist within and consume as humans called “humanity.” Humanity exists of every lifetime lived before us and living now. Infinity, Finity, and Humanity when examined are inexorably related thus making up reality.

Imagine yourself at a lonely railroad depot all alone in the desert, tumbleweeds for miles. You sit, waiting for your train to arrive in an infinite amount of time which unfortunately means you’ll wait an infinite amount of time for it to arrive. Imagine again you approach the same railroad depot when your train is boarding, the train will be present and boarding for an infinite amount of time which means you’ll terribly have to wait an infinite amount of time to depart on a train that took an infinite amount of time to arrive, and if you likewise arrive after the train has departed… you get the picture.

As we compare Revelation 1:8, ‘Who is’ refers to Christ’s presence or waiting patiently with us for eternity present, notice this is His first self descriptive given. ‘Who was’ refers to eternity past, His infinitely compassionate nature. And, ‘Who is to come’ refers to eternity future and the omnipotent and ever moving God who we will meet at death and is returning soon.

While understanding of time is not essential for us to understand God, today focus on the God Who is. The reason Christ first describes Himself as present? His presence is the only way to make the past understandable and the future bearable.

Heavenly Father, thank you for being present with us. Thank you for giving us the gift of time to devote to communing with you. Put someone in my path today who needs to feel your presence, and bestow upon me the words that you would have me say, in Jesus name…

2 Likes