Quantum mechanics

I just finished reading, Can science explain everything?, by John Lennox, and enjoyed it immensely. I was given this book by a close friend. I had asked my friend if he was aware of any RZIM material directly related to the discussion of quantum mechanics and faith. In his book John made only one cursory reference on page 77 to quantum thought. Can you direct me to any further, more in-depth material regarding this subject? Thanks.

2 Likes

Hello @lshenricks.

Perhaps you would enjoy the following resource:

There are several areas in which I disagree with Polkinghorne, but I found this an interesting and helpful read on this topic.

1 Like

So grateful for the link, Joshua.
This is the exact type of reading material I was hoping to find.
Have already ordered the book!:smiley:

1 Like

I would love to discuss the ideas further as you read through.

1 Like

Hi @lshenricks, with @Joshua_Hansen I also depart from John Polkinghorne on numerous points (most notably his embrace of process theology in some of his writings), however, when I read your question I immediately thought of his book Science and the Trinity!

The book is not exclusively about quantum theory by any means, however he does engage in some theological reflection on quantum-relevant topics. Outstanding to me is his consideration of quantum entanglement as potentially inferring that deep relationality is at the very heart of creation/ reality/the universe!

It is rare to find someone wrestling with the concept of God / theology and quantum theory, but rarer still to find someone thinking about the Christian Trinitarian God in relation to quantum theory. For me, this work has definitely been worth engaging with even if I cannot follow Dr. Polkinghorne in all his commitments; many of his insights hold true even apart from these and are very worthwhile.

2 Likes

Will certainly post my thoughts, definitely more on the practical side as I am a builder by vocation not an academic :laughing:

1 Like

Haha! No problem! I have not studied any science on a college level. It has all be just a passionate avocation for me. You don’t have to be a fancy pants academic to have a love for learning!

As an encouragement, Christopher Langan, a man with one of the highest IQs ever recorded, is a bouncer. He is self taught in many areas of science.

1 Like