Question about sin in heaven

Hello Guys,

Someone on Twitter wrote, “If Lucifer was able to incite rebellion in Heaven, that means jealousy, envy, deception, and violence can exist there despite the promise of a perfect paradise.”

How would you respond to that claim?

Thank you for reading.

2 Likes

@andrew92 Great question :slight_smile: In this argument, the conclusion does not follow from the premise - whether or not the satan was once an angel and fell (and this point is debatable), it does not automatically follow that evil intentions exist in God’s New Creation for the following reasons.

• redeemed humans are not the same thing as angels, therefore it is invalid to compare the state of angels at the time of the fall of the satan to the state of redeemed humanity. The fact that the two types of beings could be at the same location (Heaven) at different points in time does not mean that they would experience the same emotions / temptations (more on his/her misunderstanding of Heaven next).
  • the final destination of the Christian is not Heaven per se, but rather the New Creation - a new Heaven and earth in which the righteousness of God will dwell and no evil thing, so it turns out that the there in this argument is not the same for the satan and resurrected Christians
  • the premise itself may not be true - there are Christians who do not believe the satan is a fallen angel and that we do not actually know where this being came from (I among them)

Turning from this specific argument to the more general question of whether or not we can sin in Heaven, the Bible says that we will be like Christ when we see Him as He is…which means we will be free not only from sin’s penalty and power, but also from its very presence. Some more threads included below :slight_smile:

I John 3:2 - Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when Christ appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is .

Digging deeper, there are two parts to this:

• the power of the New Covenant in Christ and indwelling of God’s Spirit
  • freedom from our sinful nature - freedom from the evil desires of the flesh - a redeemed body
2 Likes

@andrew92 thanks for raising that question, it’s certainly something I’ve wondered about before and I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t know how to answer if someone put it to me. @SeanO I really like some of the points you’ve responded with but have to be honest I never knew there was an alternative theory to Satan being a fallen angel. I’m sorry if this is sidetracking the original question, but is there a link you can send so I can read more about your perspective on this? It might be helpful to understand more about when addressing the question raised from Andrew.

2 Likes

@artownsend Good question :slight_smile: To be clear, I think we know that the satan is some form of heavenly being, but I do not think that Isaiah 14 or Ezekiel 28 give us any extra information about this being. I certainly do not have the answer on this one…there are a lot of questions about which I am uncertain. We know from Jesus and Revelation that at some point this being was cast from heaven (Luke 10:18 / Revelation 12:7), but I tend to think this happened when Jesus came to earth to establish His Kingdom. A whole lot I could dive into here, but I think the following resources are enough to start pondering some of these issues.

The danger I see on this topic is that people try to take a few verses scattered throughout the Bible out of context to weave together a narrative. And I just don’t think that when we take those verses in context they provide us as clear of a narrative as we would like… Some people appeal to the way ancient cultures understood the heavenly realm to try to shed light on these things, but I am not convinced that we can trust that their understanding of the heavenly realm was any more accurate than their understanding of the physical realm. I think there are more questions than answers on some topics and I am okay with that…

2 Likes

@SeanO thank you. I’m going to look at those and then think about the question from @andrew92 again in the light of this perspective.

2 Likes