Question about the concept of marriage with God...

So. My sisters and I have been having some amazing conversations about the end times, Heaven, and the glorious life thereafter😁

We finally came to the topic of whether we as the church would actually be the Bride in marriage with God🤔 The Bible has many passages that address the Bride (as well as a few phrases in regards to “a wife”), but my question is, will we actually get married to God? For me, this sounds sketchy and I don’t quite know how to think it through, without feeling like it is leading down an iffy road—is actually marrying God. It almost sounds like a pagan idea, because it seems like it would lead to what marriage is (two becoming one). Are there Biblical passages that support this topic in particular?

4 Likes

You girls always come up with the most intriguing questions, @ChristinaLinzey! What fun to engage with them!

The marriage relationship is meant to give us a model of what Christ’s relationship to His church will be like - Ephesians 5:31-32. The rapture of a man and wife is the closest thing this world has to the rapture Christ and His Church will someday have together. And the Bible frequently refers to the Church as the Bride of Christ (Ephesians 5:22-27) in a similar way that it speaks of Israel as having entered a marriage covenant at Sinai (Jeremiah 31:32).

And the Bible says that we will co-reign with Him over all creation (Romans 8:17; II Timothy 2:12; Revelation 3:21) as a queen does beside her king.

But I must admit that it is hard to imagine all of this as being meant literally. I tend to think of all of these similes as parabolic. A queen is just as human as her husband king, but the saints will never be as deified as our heavenly Groom. And so the best I can say is that this imagery is the closest thing our world can show to the relationship we’ll have with Christ in eternity.

But having said that, I also think that what our true relationship will be will out-dazzle even the wildest imaginations of those who would read this literally. That is, a more literal view than I have expressed would fall infinitely short of doing justice to what the reality will prove to be.

May you and your sisters have wonderful conversations as you ponder the fantastic possibilities!

5 Likes

Hey Brother @jlyons!

Lol :joy: Our conversations are definitely quite the convos sometimes :smile: It is rather exciting to explore the deep waters together…and sometimes complexly confusing :face_with_monocle: :sweat_smile: So, thank you for being willing to embark on this specific zone of the sea!

“This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.” Ephesians 5:32 KJV

Your response helped me to comprehend even more of the forever amazing mystery of the real life in Christ; that is if the words comprehend and mystery could belong in the same sentence😄

The way you brought out…

…makes sense. This is a rather convicting topic, especially in light of the wife’s role to her husband, which is supposed to be an accurate picture of the real thing: submission, obedience, love, reverence, loyalty, faithfulness.

The truth that will be unveiled upon arrival in glory will be out of this world, maybe that is why I can’t comprehend it fully in this world. :thinking: Life with Him in glory sounds pretty awesome, that’s one thing I do know!

Thanks👍

4 Likes