Question: Christianity vs Judaism

(Megan) #1

Hello!
I am from Canada.
Spiritual growth brought me here.
I hope to contribute by sharing my story and possibly inspiring others!

I have a question. I was hoping to learn to read and speak Hebrew in order to eventually read the old Hebrew bible. But when I look up versions of the Hebrew bible all I get is a Torah, and apparently that’s related to Judaism? What’s the difference between Christianity and Judaism and is it bad for me to want to read a Torah? Or how do I go about reading an old Hebrew bible?

(SeanO) #2

@meganfriesen That is a great question - thank you for sharing. What motivated you to learn Hebrew?

The word Torah refers to the first five books of the Bible - Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy, also known as the Pentateuch. These books are included in both the Jewish and Christian Scriptures. In Jesus’ day, the Old Testament, or first 39 books of a Christian Bible, were considered Scripture by the Jewish people. So all that you have to do to read the Hebrew Scriptures is pick up your Bible at home and read the Old Testament - Genesis to Malachi.

It is great to want to study the Old Testament! Jesus did not come to do away with the Old Testament or Jewish Scriptures, but to fulfill them. The Old Testament points to Jesus and it is wonderful that you want to study it more.

I would start by checking out “The Bible Project” - it has some great videos to help you understand the Bible. The following thread also has some great resources for studying the Bible.

(C Rhodes) #3

For functional skills you may want to look into Duolingo. Duolingo is a language site that provides teaching instructions free of charge. I am not sure they offer Hebrew but it is worth looking.