Question : Matthew 8:4 Why does Jesus always tell the people he healed not to disclose that he healed them?

(Yeddu Prasad) #1

Dear All, I want to know why our Lord Jesus always insisted that the person he heald should not tell anyone that he was healed by Jesus.

1. Could it be because many more people will come to be healed and he will not have time to preach the good news which was his primary mission?
  2. He wanted to offer mankind a much bigger blessing of Salvation & restoration of mankind to God rather than respite for sickness of body that is perishable.
  3. He did not want the people to know he was the true messiah and hence prevent him from going to the cross? As this would prevent him from fulfilling the path for salvation for the whole world.

Maynot be an important question but I am so encouraged with the insights I have been getting and helps me a lot in understanding the scriptures better.

(SeanO) #2

@yeddu I think John 6 offers a few clues as to why Jesus may have acted in this manner.

After Jesus fed the 5000, the people did two things:

1. Tried to make Him king by force
  2. Followed Him just for the food - not because they really believed in Him

John 6:14-15 - After the people saw the sign Jesus performed, they began to say, “Surely this is the Prophet who is to come into the world.” 15 Jesus, knowing that they intended to come and make him king by force, withdrew again to a mountain by himself.

John 6:26-27 - Jesus answered, “Very truly I tell you, you are looking for me, not because you saw the signs I performed but because you ate the loaves and had your fill. 27 Do not work for food that spoils, but for food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. For on him God the Father has placed his seal of approval.”

Jesus’ mission was to give His life as a ransom for many and to teach the Truth - not to become a magnet for crowds that were only interested in using Jesus for their own good or to overthrow the Roman empire.

I am not sure of the exact reasons Jesus wanted people not to tell, but I think if we look at Scripture it has to do with His purpose in coming to earth and the fact that He knew the hearts of all men.

Jesus grant you wisdom :slight_smile:

(Yeddu Prasad) #3

Thank you Sean. Your inputs help a lot.

(SeanO) #4

@yeddu Good to hear - this is a very intriguing question.

(C Rhodes) #5

Morning! I think Sean O gave a wonderful explanation. Just as JESUS proceeded with such caution in His day, He continues to do so with us today. It is why we can posture for others but GOD deals with us where our insufficiency lies. I am glad the work of the cross continues in my heart. I am glad that grace embraces me and calls me every day to higher ground and deeper depths. The Lord knows my heart and therefore my needs.

Your question also reminded me that even with His request for secrecy after the healings, the acts performed by JESUS far exceeded our scriptural references. John 21:25 KJV. I imagine the other acts referenced by John were not only beyond the world’s written capacity to house, but our ability to lean and depend upon GOD as well. The need for faith in GOD remains the pinnacle of our deliverance. No doubt why it is impossible to please the Lord without it. Hebrews 11:6 KJV. The miraculous is part of the blessing of loving GOD, not the reason.

(Jimmy Sellers) #6

I tend to be in the camp of those that see the true gospel as the announcement of the Kingdom of God as revealed in Isaiah. If you look at the verse and understand that Jesus was telling the leper to go to the priests (read Lev 14 on cleansing of skin disease quite a lengthy process) and do as Moses commanded this was not exacting not tell anyone. This sign and every work that Jesus did would be signs of the coming Kingdom, a Kingdom that had not been inaugurated yet, thus the admonition not to tell the Priests because a cleansed leper was big news. The inauguration of the King and his coronation was at the cross.

4 And Jesus said to him, “See that you tell no one, but go, show yourself to the priest and offer the gift that Moses commanded, for a testimony to them. (Matt 8:4 LEB)

For a much better treatment of this see

My thoughts.

(Yeddu Prasad) #7

Was reading Mark 5:18-20 and noticed that Jesus made an exception in this case.

And when he was come into the ship, he that had been possessed with the devil prayed him that he might be with him.Howbeit Jesus suffered him not, but saith unto him, Go home to thy friends, and tell them how great things the Lord hath done for thee, and hath had compassion on thee.And he departed, and began to publish in Decapolis how great things Jesus had done for him: and all men did marvel.

(SeanO) #8

@yeddu Yes, Jesus knew what would bring His Kingdom to earth most effectively in each situation. We so often try to reduce God’s actions in the world to patterns or rules, but His ways are above our ways and His thoughts above our thoughts.

(Yeddu Prasad) #9

Very true Sean. Your prompt responses and insigts are very helpful.

(Jimmy Sellers) #10

There is another way to look at this. Jesus was not making an exception he was throwing down the gauntlet against the demons in Gerasenes, gentile territory .

In Mark we see two examples of Jesus confronting demons. In one case in Jewish territory:

Leave us alone⌋, Jesus the Nazarene! Have you come to destroy us? I know who you are—the Holy One of God!” (Mark 1:24 LEB)

In this verse Jesus is addressed as the Holy One of God and it would appear that the demons fear being destroyed, for me this makes sense, Jesus can destroy these demons…

The other case Gentile territory

And crying out with a loud voice he said, “⌊What have I to do with you⌋, Jesus, Son of the Most High God? I implore you by God, do not torment me!”(Mk 5:7 LEB)

What did the legion fear death? No it was torment. How can you torment a demon? From the verse it appears he feared being sent out of the region. Why would this matter, a demon is a demon is a demon?

And he was imploring him many times that he would not send them out of the region. (Mk 5:10 LEB)

Now to the delivered lunatic. Jesus wanted him to tell everyone want Messiah had done for him in what was known as the unholy Bashan territory. The Most High was going to reclaim the world, all of it. This man was to spread the word in the Decapolis area and lets no forget that the incident had already been well reported to town and country side.

14 And their herdsmen fled and reported it* in the town and in the countryside, and they came to see what it was that had happened. (Mk 5:14)

This will be a bit different then how you would normally read these verses. I have shared with you the thoughts of Michael Heiser. This is my understanding of how this verse would be understood by the Jewish reader of the day:

From Reversing Mount Hermon:

“The exorcism of Legion is therefore more than a strange tale of suicidal swine. It’s about theological messaging. Legion recognizes that Jesus is rightful Lord of the country of the Gerasenes—old Bashan now under Gentile occupation.”
Heiser, M. S. (2017). Reversing Hermon: Enoch, The Watchers & The Forgotten Mission of Jesus Christ (p. 101). Bellingham, WA: Lexham Press.

I really would be interested in the communities thoughts on this.

(Tony Hacker ) #11

Gosh that’s a great statement Sean with bible verse-

It kinda goes along with the statement of “putting God in a box”. I like what the late reverend E.V. Hill used to say…"so you think you got God figured out? That ain’t God "

Psalm 131:1 NASB — A Song of Ascents, of David.
O LORD, my heart is not proud, nor my eyes haughty;
Nor do I involve myself in great matters,
Or in things too difficult for me.

Psalm 139:6 NASB — Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;
It is too high, I cannot attain to it.

(Yeddu Prasad) #12

Very true Tony. We can never understand the power and wisdom of our amazing God.

I also think he has put in us the hunger to seek him and try to get to know him very personally and also be in awe of who he is by searching his word, his creation and most importantly letting his holy spirit guide us know him more every day. This is the true meaning of life I feel.

This is how he designed us I feel. After creating Adam he used to come to Eden and spend time with Adam. That is what he wants from us adoration and communion.

What an amazing God we have who not only gave us life but also loves us so much despite our sins that he sent his son to die on the cross to redeem us back to him.

Priase the lord always.