Question of the Day (Friday): Top takeaways from yesterday!

Hey @GlobalApologeticsConference!

We’re off to a great start! As we gear up for another day of amazing content, we want to hear: what were your top takeaways yesterday?

I was particularly struck by Michael Ramsden’s closing illustration: “The reason we have Moses is because of one unnamed person…Pharaoh’s daughter.” She wasn’t concerned with fame. She just did what was right in the moment.

It’s a poignant challenge for our generation. “We’re so often interested in making a name for ourselves that we forget to have an impact.”

That perspective, and Michael’s thoughts on God’s justice, were deeply compelling. If you missed that session, definitely check it out here.

I’m sure some of you are great note takers. Let’s hear your top takeaways!

14 Likes

I really enjoyed Michael Ramsden’s answer to the question “If babies go to heaven, why does God allow some people grow up and choose wrong and be eternally separated”. I don’t remember the whole answer but one thing that really stuck with me is “God is fair”. He’s not going to allow anything unfair to happen to us. I’ve heard this answer before to similar but it’s really nice to be reminded that God will judge fairly.

8 Likes

It’s been a very thought provoking conference this far. It surely stimulates one’s appetite for more, especially in the discussion of Peruvian cuisine!

Who’s hungry?!!

3 Likes

The answer to the age old question, “what does it mean to be human” cannot be provided in any number of words. The answer to the question is a person, Jesus. In him we find humanity as it was intended, with all the love, sinlessness, and relationship with God that we all seek. It is against that standard that we measure ourselves (believer or otherwise).

Philosophers, psychologists and innumerable neighbors of ours spend an awful amount of time trying, however, and the challenge is to live in such a way that some small manner of Jesus’ example shines through us in the world, and others can come to know Him as a result of seeing that.

And a second one: Too many of us in the COVID crisis are far too worried about dying early and not living long enough that we forget how important it is to make sure we live WELL enough.

5 Likes

The devotion from Dr.Amy, where she said that, “For God so loved…should characterize our ministry, who we are in the intimacy with the Father and what we do”. Connecting this fact to part of Michael Ramsden’s talk that speaks about Pharaoh’s daughter whose name we do not know, but had it not been for her compassion, we wouldn’t have had a Moses.

To love “as” Jesus did may get me in “trouble” with some people as with Jesus, but to love “as” he did, as she did, may also not give me a name at all…That is fine because my whole life should be in pursuit of living out the “as” he loved, “so” did I, knowing full well that I may impact someone who may become known or not. Either way it’s to generously love even to those who are hostile. As he was sent, so is he sending me. I love it. It puts my mind at ease to diligently love and obey him. That’s my take away.

4 Likes

The Q&A is ALWAYS my favorite!:raised_hands:t2: I am always pointed to Christ by the responses from the RZIM team, and I am encouraged by the way each of the speakers handle sensitive and important questions with such wisdom and care.:heart:

2 Likes

I really enjoy the session yesterday. I have been listening many resources from RZIM, but this is my 1st time participate GAC. I pay attention on all details the team put in. It’s amazing and also make me move.

It kicks off by saying a prayer, rather rushing into the program. The devotion time also help myself to prepare my heart and shift my focus from acquiring knowledge to absorb wisdom and use it to love God and people. Thank you!

2 Likes

I agree with @Amy_Muller, the Q&A is my favorite part :). I really appreciate the investment of thought and concern the team puts into answering each question posited, and I know having it virtual like this is not ideal, but it does make it more available for people spread wide and abroad to benefit from the conference! Thank you for providing this opportunity!

One of the major points that stood out to me just happened to be the last question of the night last night (yes, I did watch more than the last 5 minutes of the session :joy:) about the problem of suffering and how to respond to atheists who struggle with the reality of evil and suffering in the world.

I felt that Dr. Sharon unveiled a critical layer to my personal understanding. She helped to point out that it is not as much of a philosophical struggle as it is more the emotional and experiential struggle that people have problems with when they don’t know God. And if God did not exist, the question would probably not even bother them. In her answer, she touched on the fact that it is not necessarily an academic conclusion that can be redirected and resolved with a good philosophical script. But it is possibly one of the greatest questions that reveals the subconscious human recognition of God in everyday life.

After pondering this thought, it is interesting to consider that the question of pain and suffering many times is a direct opportunity to share the experiential reality of a loving God Who enters into this world with us, and wants to call us back into the way, the truth and the life that He originally created us to live.

I know this question has been addressed from numerous angles and very thoroughly spoken on by the RZIM team, but I felt the way she worded her answer turned the lightbulb on in my comprehension, providing the freedom of confidence I had been looking for to engaging with a heart struggling with that question.

5 Likes

I have enjoyed all the speakers who spoke on Day 1. I love how Rachel Mutesi from Kampala, Uganda shared how to reach out to those who are afflicted. Often as Christians, we are “stumped” on how to share the gospel when we meet people who are in dire needs, especially basic needs because we live in comfort. My church has this motto " Spreading God’s fame, by reaching out in love", that is how we share the Gospel. Dr. Michael Ramden’s points out how God’s love causes Him to hate sin and angers Him when He sees wrongdoing. I have especially enjoyed Dr. Maher Samuel, Senior Apologist of RZIM, Middle East. I had to listen to him twice to make sure that I get all of the points on my notes. Thank you for refreshing my faith and reminding me of God’s love and what it means to be human.

5 Likes

I was touched by Michael Ramsden’s comments about the cross. I find it interesting that people used to tell him the cross was an overreaction to the problem of sin and now, if anything, they think the cross isn’t enough. Our culture is finally getting a picture of the enormity of sin. Any answer that falls short of the cross won’t be enough. I want to get better at pointing people to the cross as the only answer to our cry for justice and hunger for love.

4 Likes

I have been so blessed by the conference so far, I am truly grateful for the opportunity to attend online.

I especially appreciated how Dr. Maher Samuel beautifully wove the gospel into answering the question, “what does it mean to be human?” I think that identity is a key issue in most if not all of the various issues and questions we face as human beings. So for me, being able to see that skeletal outline of what God intended human beings to be in the person of Jesus is incredible. Even more compelling is understanding that the fulfillment of the longings of my heart and search for identity is only possible through unity with Jesus, crucified. I understand now why Paul said in Philippians 3:10 that he had chosen to loose everything else in order to know Christ, the power of His resurrection, the fellowship of His sufferings, and to be united with Him in His death.
I am left saying, “Jesus, You are so beautiful!!!” I want to “behold the man,” to enjoy my savior and to be made like Him, more and more every day.

2 Likes

I really appreciated Micheal’s message. The part where he explained about the difference between intrinsically oriented mindset and extrinsically oriented mindset. These points helps us to better understand what’s going on in our cultures and nations. When we are given opportunity to share the message of the cross we have better handle of where person’s view may be coming from.

It opens the door for us to respond with grace and gentleness.

Blessings looking forward to tonight’s messages.

1 Like

@Kasey_Leander My take away was about anger and how we can be rightfully angry and hold on to righteous anger that in turn crosses a line that take us to the an ungodly side. This was shocking and new to me. Also learning how to deal with anger was key. The topic prompted some serious introspection.

The other was understand why the bible says “God hardened pharaoh’s heart”. When reading the old testament, especially Genesis and the first books, a lot of it is hard to digest and accept. The amount of chaos, sin, wrath and a lack of appreciation is upsetting and unnerving. However after hearing a fuller picture of Pharaoh’s role I realized how narrow my lens is. It challenged me to start thinking outside of my tunnel of understanding and experience and building a blueprint of who God is; what kind of God he is and how humans can be so self absorbed is starting to shape how I read the bible.

2 Likes

Took away so much! But a big one was, “Stepping into the light was not intended to humiliate us”

Also Im looking forward to reading the recommended book. A War Of Loves by David Bennett.

2 Likes

Michael was my favorite speaker! His ability to bring logical and insightful explanations of the Holy Word was inspiring and reminded me a little of Ravi. He lacks showing any emotions but was funny and brilliant in his own way! :wink:

I’m gonna go with Polycarp, early church martyr. Fascinating dude. From a different time and different culture. Burned at the stake. But he wouldn’t burn so they stabbed him!! Plus he has an awesome name.

2 Likes

Polycarp … coming soon to “trending baby names” catalogues near you. #StartTheMovement

4 Likes

Divinely given inflammability seems like an amazing spiritual gift as well. What an awesome story.

1 Like

I tried to suggest naming one of my sons Polycarp. My wife didn’t go for it.

4 Likes