Question of the Day (Friday): You can have dinner with one historical figure—who would it be and why?

Happy Friday everyone! Today’s question of the day is this: you can have dinner with one historical figure—who would it be and why?

Also you can’t pick Jesus, because that’s cheating. :smile:

11 Likes

I just finished reading a biography of Frederick Douglass by David W. Blight. Douglass was daring, intrepid and controversial.I was particularly struck by how he used his deep belief in the justice of God to call out the evils of his day.

He also deeply understood human nature: “No man can put a chain about the ankle of his fellow man without at last finding the other end fastened about his own neck.” Reminds me of Ecclesiastes 4:1 (and of Michael’s talk on God’s justice yesterday!)

Eager to hear your thoughts GAC!

5 Likes

It is SO hard to pick only one! But definitely Corrie Ten Boom. She helped run the underground in Holland during the Holocaust and then spoke about the love of Jesus around the world.

15 Likes

Yes tough to pick one! but I would like to chat with Paul, and ask him some questions about his Journey’s and his letters.

6 Likes

If picking Ravi Zacharias is also cheating, I would have to pick Fanny Crosby. I love to feel her heart, her faith, and her joy. Her songs are inspiring; her testimony, amazing.

11 Likes

I would agree but I would be torn between her and her sister. They were both inspiring women

5 Likes

Definitely Nabeel Qureshi. His book is what started my journey on the course of apologetics

9 Likes

Awee yess I feel that ! Was literally thinking that as I typed out my response lol :joy:

3 Likes

Oof. Always a challenge, because the easy answer is obvious.

But I’m going to CHEAT (I’m an attorney, I’m allowed) and say a dinner with Charles Darwin and CS Lewis. Both of them were by all accounts decent, intelligent men, and both formed foundations for my own life. I got an MS in Evolutionary Biology before I received my JD, so much of my education was predicated on Darwin’s theories; and CS Lewis’ writing played a major role in finding truth in scripture via reason and the world around us. Also, the trajectories of their lives were opposite: Darwin started a believer and lost his faith, while Lewis started (at best) agnostic and was saved.

Being able to sit at a table with a scotch and chat with those two men about theology, Darwin’s original plans for seminary, and how Lewis might be able to overcome his biggest issues with Christianity (the “damnable problem of damnation”) would be a real trip.

4 Likes

Hmm - so not Jesus? Then I too would go with Paul - and have him give me the inside scoop on everything from predestination to eternal security to speaking in tongues to infant baptism to Six Day Creation to the giants in Genesis 6 to…well, all the hot topics that are out there!

Oh, but wait - then when I came back, who would believe me?

9 Likes

Dietrich Bonhoeffer. (Lutheran pastor, theologian, anti-Nazi dissident, and key founding member of the Confessing Church - that arose in opposition to government-sponsored efforts to unify all Protestant churches into a single pro-Nazi Protestant R eich Church)
He was arrested and imprisoned for being associated with the plot to assassinate Hitler, and hung in a concentration camp.
(that or my ancestor who was on the Mayflower 400yrs ago!)

6 Likes

Just out of curiosity, which of Corrie’s sisters did you mean? I’m assuming you mean Betsie, but I think Nollie or Tine (her sister-in-law) would also be very interesting. :smile:

1 Like

That’s a really hard question… there are too many people to choose from! I think Mary, the mother of Jesus would be very interesting to spend time with.

3 Likes

Adam, can you imagine talking to the first person God created. You know, what was it like? How did you feel? Why did you pick this name over that when naming the animals? How did you feel when Eve appeared?

What was the garden like and what was it like to walk so closely with God?

What were your thoughts right before, during and after your decision to choose Eve over God in your decision processes?

So many questions. I like Chris Rice’s song “Savin up questions for heaven” cause there’s lots of time once we get there… https://youtu.be/Mo5BAGWoD7g

11 Likes

@EvoFaith - love this answer! The conversation between those two would be fascinating indeed.

3 Likes

I’ve been thinking about Noah lately so I would like a private dinner with him to find out how he persevered for so many years, how he survived those days on the ark, and how he handled the loss of so many friends and extended family members. There must have been a lot of sorrow on the ark and loneliness for many years as they remembered those lost. I pray for a portion of that faith and for more focus on witnessing to my lost family and friends.

9 Likes

just an fyi, there is a space in R eich because this platform doesn’t allow the word! hah!

2 Likes

Paul the Apostle, to learn how he became such a great writer. Or Dietrich Bonhoeffer.

2 Likes

Ravi Zacharius

3 Likes

There are not a lot of wrong answers here and we could go with any of them mentioned but I would suggest Job. A man that was given so much trouble but he stood fast and kept his faith in God. To have just a bit of that faith would be amazing.

2 Likes