Question of the Day (Friday): You can have dinner with one historical figure—who would it be and why?

I would love to have dinner with Maria Woodworth- Etter.

1 Like

To stay in theme with the conference, I would have dinner with Pontius Pilate because, first of all, being a Roman, I know the meal would be awesome! Also, I would ask him why he asked Jesus what is the truth but didn’t wait for an answer. Thank you. Fun questions! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I would love to have dinner with Nabeel Qureshi! I heard him speak once and then followed his vlog before he passed away and was so drawn into his story and teachings. His passion for Christ inspired me! If he doesn’t count, I’d pick CS Lewis. I love the Narnia books!

6 Likes

Yes, totally agree @enatirbofff and @Ashton_South_Africa! the tenBooms are so inspiring. Hmm, Biblically, I’d love to meet Priscilla and Aquila or Lydia and hear their wisdom about building the Church while engaging the culture through their practical vocations.

5 Likes

@Matthew_Mittelberg… It would be Moses. I see my human self in Moses. He was a man who was given a big task that he took reluctantly. His reactions to the mission were very relatable. I would like to hear his side of it and how he truly felt / coped. What he could have done differently or not and how he felt about seeing the promised land but knew he would die without setting foot on it.

1 Like

I was going to choose CS Lewis, but then someone else mentioned him, then I thought about Martin Luther, because his journey and mine have some overlap, but I’m going to go with Augustine of Hippo, because I read a biography (On the Road With Saint Augustine) about him this year that really made me appreciate his story and thus his theological work that much more because of his story.

2 Likes

I would like to have a meal with George MacDonald. He grabs me by the heart in his writings.

3 Likes

I would love to have dinner with Ravi Zacharias and his wife Margaret to drink in their wisdom and passion for people, how they managed life. I have only discovered Ravi’s teaching on YouTube after he passed on and were so struck by the passion and wisdom he spoke, and also adore his wife and children. RZIM is such a legacy that they left that will grow from strength to streng and impact the world. The other person would be Paul from the Bible on how he stayed faithful to the end.

2 Likes

Yes, I would have to say the same, @Ashton_South_Africa! It was Nabeel’s testimony on YouTube that the Lord used to inspire the desire and start this journey in my life of learning the apologetics of the Christian faith. I think another person in history that I would want to interview is Elisabeth Elliot. She has become an encouragement in so many areas of my life, and just her heart of rest in spite of chaos, her strength of character in the beauty of biblical femininity, and her determination to stay moldable in the hand of the Lord in the face of incredible odds would be the impetus of my conversation with her.

5 Likes

Maybe Plato–assuming we’d automatically be speaking the same language. I think every non-Christian philosophy is mostly just commentary on his ideas. I would love to know how he’d respond to the claim and invitation of the gospel.

3 Likes

Yes I think it was Betsie, who stayed with her throughout. Her view of forgiveness for the guards and the people persecuting her was incredible.

2 Likes

I would choose King David to ask the question - How did you qualify to be called “Man after my own heart”

1 Like

Job would be the person I would like to have dinner with. In the midst of all the trials that he had to go through, even when his own family and friends asked/advised him to deny God, he kept his faith.

1 Like

Johann Ludwig Krapf
First missionary to Kenya. I would love to know what the bold step he took for the gospel meant for him

I would love to dine with CS Lewis

Have you read The Question of God? It’s a compilations of essays from Freud and Lewis’ point of view on various topics. I think you might enjoy it.

This is cheating >< I’d like to have dinner with Jesus!

I’d also really like to have dinner with Esther. She was a nobody who became a queen married to an unbeliever who was also the greatest ruler of the time, maintained her faith, and had greatness thrust upon her. I could learn loads from her…

Oh man! There’s just so many to choose from. Aside from the Apostles and Christ Himself, I would want to meet John Bunyan, Jonathan Edwards or C.S. Lewis. But if I were to pick one for now, probably Edwards. There’s something about Jonathan Edwards that would want me to meet him. Many of John Piper’s works that I have read were inspired of him. When dinner comes, I would like to talk to him about his productivity and his resolutions.

I haven’t read “the end for which man is made for” or the “sinners in the hands of an angry God”, so I’d like to talk to him about that through dinner. The reason behind my choice I think lies in his strategic placement in history around 18th century. Those were also the rise of “science” and known skeptics such as Benjamin Franklin. I’d like to see and know how it felt like in his day to be tackle such rising culture but at the same time achieving his purpose through God’s help and will in the great awakening.

1 Like

Mary, Jesus’ mother, would be my pick. I couldn’t choose Adam, because I’d probably ask “why did you disobey God?” and we’d have an uncomfortable meal. If Mary couldn’t make it, I’d choose Abigail, who risked so much, standing for righteousness against both her husband and in confronting the King himself.

I would love to have a conversation with Casper Ten Boom!! That man had wisdom infused with faith, love and strength like no other.