Question on how much Jesus loves us

(Jeff Garland ) #1

I wanted to ask everyone, how would you answer someone if they asked you “how much does Jesus love you?”. I know an obvious answer is Jesus paying the debt He did not owe for me for a debt I could not pay with His sacrifice on the cross. What are some other answers?
Thank you all!

(Melvin Greene) #2

What a great question, @Cavemanz28!

How much does Jesus love you?
He loves you so much that He was willing to create this universe, this planet and you knowing what it will end up costing Him. He loves you so much that He willingly left heaven and all His glory to become one of us, His creation. It is unimaginable to think of an infinite, beautiful, glorious and perfect being that set aside all of that to be born of a young, poor woman, not in an opulent luxurious palace, but in a barn laying in a feed trough for animals. He loves you so much that He was willing to grow up in a flawed body made of flesh and bone and suffered all the frailties that are prone to these limited human bodies. He loves you so much that He was willing to laughed at, mocked, ridiculed and persecuted by the very people He created and came to save. He loves you so much that, yes He died for our sins, but it goes oh so much more beyond that! He was beaten nearly beyond recognition and then nailed to a cross, which took 6 agonizing hours of excruciating pain! Ah, but it goes much farther than that! For as He was hanging on that cruel instrument of torture, all the sin of all the people that ever existed was heaped upon Him! And with that came all the fury and wrath of a holy, righteous God! Jesus loves you so much, that we was willing to be forsaken by His holy Father, which is literally hell!

That, my friend, is how much Jesus loves you!

(Jeff Garland ) #3

Thank you for your thoughtful answer Melvin

(SeanO) #4

@Cavemanz28 The only other approach you might be able to take is to discuss how God shows love both to the believer and the unbeliever. God has, of course, given His Son in the hope that all would find life and life in the full!

Romans 5:8 - God proves His own love for us in this, while we were still sinners Christ died for us.

For the Believer

This list could be very long, so I am going to list only a few points - I am sure you could think of many more.

• the gift of the Holy Spirit (Luke 11:13 / Romans 8)
  • Jesus intercedes for us in Heaven (Hebrews 7:25)
  • we can come to God as our Abba Father (Romans 8 / Matthew 6:9-13)

For the Unbeliever

• God sustains creation
  • God restrains sin through civil authority (Romans 13)
  • the gift of conscience and conviction - the law is written on the heart (Romans 2:14-15)

Matthew 5:45 - He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.

James 1:17 - Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.

(Jeff Garland ) #5

SeanO thank you for your answer. I think General Revelation is a great talking point to an unbeliever. God bless you

(Kathleen) #6

Such an intriguing question, @Cavemanz28! When I was thinking over how I would/could respond, really I just wanted to ask a question back: How does one even begin to quantify love? :slight_smile: Is love even quantifiable? Sure, I suppose we could measure a degree of commitment one may have to another or a community, but loyalty, though part of love, is not all of love. Though Jesus did say,

Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends. – Jn. 15:13

(Russell Mashburn) #7

Love is the greatest gift we have received in his image.

Saying that it can hurt us so so so much. Our free will was given to us because of love. No one wants to be controlled and told what to do. Love hurts our Lord when idolatry happens. When people used to put up symbols of Baal (I think it was) in the old testament, God said hey what are you doing? A mild breeze can knock that over. You made it out of wood. Why? I am the one true God.

Love is what he wants from us. I love the Lord. I’m a sinner and I’m not worthy of his love. He sends his only son to be crucified to make us right in him. I cling to him because he first loved us. He’s everything.

(Jeff Garland ) #8

You are so right. How do we truly measure God’s love? I think our minds can’t fathom the trueness and complete fulfillment of God’s love. His love overflows our cup constantly. I think we have to sit back and try to understand how God views us. Who are we to God? He didn’t need us but His love is so overflowing He created us to share in that beauty.

Thank you!! Romans 8:17

(Jeff Garland ) #9

Thank you for responding Russell. I agree that love is the image He gave us to share that bond with Him. We experience God’s love when we try to love God with our heart, soul, and mind. Then as we love others we witness a glimpse of God’s love for us. When we view others how God views them can make us think more about His true love

(Russell Mashburn) #10

Thanks for the great reply Jeff!

Everytime I look at my 3 year old Ellie I feel blessed. It gives us perspective. She depends on me to feed and protect her. She can trip and start to cry then I hold her and she is comforted. It’s all because of love.

When we show love to our enemies like Jesus taught… something interesting happens to us. It’s divine knowledge. We can’t do what most people do which is hold onto hate. We forgive our enemies (which can be challenging) and love everyone.

We will never understand God’s ways. His ways are higher than ours. We can know he loves us. We can’t use our strength to make him closer to us, but we can direct our strength to prayers for more faith. I pray that he’ll use me for his will. I feel like this conversation is part of him answering that prayer.

(Jeff Garland ) #11

Russell, I can relate to that completely. I have a 3 year old little boy. Honestly, he just cried for me to come to his room because he heard something outside. I checked and assured him everything is ok because daddy is here. Isn’t that how we are/should be with our Heavenly Father? We should run to Him with arms wide open for everything because His love will always comfort and protect us.

(Russell Mashburn) #12

That’s awesome! Yes always. He knows our heart and he knows our human condition. We fall short without him. Remember when you were young? We felt our parents were super heroes. We grow older to see that their only human and have struggles just like we do. God is all powerful and loves us. We do the best we can as their earthly father and point them to their heavenly father.

(Claire N Streb) #13

(Lynne) #14

Jeff,
I would say that ALL people are of value in God’s eyes. He loves me enough to not only celebrate with me in the good times but to walk with me through the bad times; through the times of grief, depression, sadness. He lives in me as the comforter, the Holy Spirit. What a safe feeling to know that God is in me and on my side always. He makes me enough.
Lynne

(Jeff Garland ) #15

I love that statement, He makes me enough.

Thank you Lynne!

(Marie Flores) #16

Hi! I must say that the love of Jesus for me is immeasurable. I am a widow with no kids but I get to feel that I am a mother with my nephews and the kids at sunday school (grateful sunday school teacher here :smiley:! ). These are just few of the reasons why I know that Jesus loves me He filled the void in my heart, through Him I always feel the comfort. It was not an overnight thing to appreciate His love for me it is because I asked Him to reveal Himself to me and open my heart to know Him and sure Jesus did hear my prayers. Sometimes the love He showed me makes me cry for joy, a love for me that will never be taken.
:smiley:

(Jeff Garland ) #17

Thank you for sharing! I know those children have to be thankful for a Sunday school teacher that loves them and the Lord the way you do! Continue to be a great blessing that you are.