Questions about Jewish thought

Hi all,
I am wondering what Jews really believe about original sin, hell, and the messiah. Didn’t their own law foretell a messiah that would sacrifice his life? How do they think concerning Adam and Eve and their sin which is recorded in the Torah. About all I know for certain is that they DO not believe Jesus was the messiah. BUT DO THEY EXPECT ONE TO COME AND BE A SACRIFICE???

THANK YOU IF YOU CAN HELP ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS!

2 Likes

Hi Ruth Marie,

I was looking through some older post and found yours.

I live in an area of town with a very high Jewish population and have many Jewish friends. Would you like for me to ask some of my friends these questions? It may be week’s end or even next week before I can find someone who has the time to respond. This would give me an opportunity to delve deeper in my relationships and also hopefully get to know my friends a little better.

Do you have many Jewish friends or any opportunities to talk or share, if so?

Thank you for your post and I will reply as soon as I am able.

Grace and peace,
Mary Beth

4 Likes

There is no where in the scriptures that God requires a human sacrifice. It is abhorrent to a Jew or any prophet or scholar of Jewish tradition that God would require human blood. There are volumes of writings I don’t have access to while relaxing in Colorado. Will drop some resources in later.

2 Likes

Interesting! So then, the Messiah prophesied in the old Testament isn’t supposed to sacrifice his life for sins?? I thought that was In Jewish texts but they just didn’t believe Jesus was their Messiah as prophesied; and that they are still waiting for him to show up to fulfill their scriptures.

1 Like

Thank you Mary Beth, I would appreciate that. And no I have no Jewish friends.

1 Like

Hi @Mromero8,

That is a wonderful line of thought, in essence, why hasn’t the original chosen nation, the Israelites, received Jesus as the messiah, what more proofs do they need? It is quite vexing from a Christian view point. But the Jews indeed have their own interpretation and justification for not acknowledging Jesus as messiah.

Just a heads up, even in my times in Canada, I never encountered and engage in any spiritual conversation with a Jew before. But about 10 years ago, when I was still in my previous church, we were visited by a pastor who is a Jew converted to Christianity. I can’t recall his name, I’m sorry.

But here’s what I remember roughly:

There is a Messianic Jews or Messianic Judaism movement.

• The slang was Completed Jews. Basically they are Jewish from Judaism, who accepted Jesus as the Messiah. It was even considered a sect of Judaism.

The Messiah according to Old Testament.

1. The Messiah has to be a King from the Davidic lineage
  2. In order for that to take place, Israel need to be a sovereign nation again. Remember the major Prophets like Isaiah and Ezekiel was prophesying during the exile. So it was a hope of the Jews to return to their former glories. (modern Israel was founded on 1948 btw) So the Messianic King is to gather the exiles.
  3. The King will rebuilt the temple, literally.
  • Some believed Cyrus, the ruler of Persia, was a shadow of what the real messiah will do (rebuild the temple). Isaiah 45:1 says "Thus says the LORD to Cyrus His anointed (Hebrew: mashiach, Strong’s #4899)
  • The temple rebuilt in Cyrus time, before Jesus time, is called the Second Temple period, but was destroyed by the Romans during the Jewish rebellion in 70 AD. So their messiah is supposed to rebuild it again.
  • Jesus didn’t qualify according to them, because He lived during the 2nd Temple when the temple doesn’t need rebuilding.
  1. The Jews do not believed in duality or trinity. Referring to the Shema Yisrael in Deut 6:4 that God is One. In fact their talmud Ta’anit 2:1 states “if a man claims to be God, he is a liar.” refering to Jesus.
  2. God is not corporeal, and has no physical attributes, according to their 13 Articles of Faith. A Yigdal prayer based on those creeds has a line that says “He has no semblance of a body nor is He corporeal.”
  3. The messiah is supposed to compel everyone to observe the Laws or Torah, not fulfill them and absolve the laws.
  4. He is supposed to lead them to fight wars of God.
  5. Then lastly, He is not supposed to die before achieving all the above.
  • They believe Jesus died, but refute His resurrection
  • Maimonides’ Hilchos Melachim 11:4-5 states that “But if he did not succeed in all this or was killed, he is definitely not the Moshiach promised in the Torah… and God only appointed him in order to test the masses.”

Source:

I had to refresh my notes by checking back with wikipedia, it has been so long. Anyway, hope that helps. It’s probably deeper than I presented, but that’s the rough gist of it. And maybe the Christians’ homework when evangelizing to the Jews.

Blessings in Christ,
Roy

3 Likes

This will not be an easy answer as my studies have shown me that the answers will vary depending on when in Jewish history you ask. A lot like asking questions of the Christian church but with a much longer history and a lot more text and literature to read and consult. I will try to answer an easy one and see how this flies. Just FYI I am not claiming any expertise on the subject but I am very interested because Christianity was considered a subset of Judaism for a long time and if I understand the Bible we will be introduced as brothers and sisters of the King, King Jesus.

While taking for granted humankind’s sinful nature, the Hebrew Bible shows little interest in sin’s origin. Of course the story of the Garden of Eden depicts the sin of Adam and Eve as central in explaining the nature of all later human existence: why people die, why they must labor, etc. But at its heart, the story only assumes, and does not explain, the human propensity to violate rules. Thus Scripture’s depiction of Adam and Eve’s quick surrender to the serpent’s subtle logic and to the desirability of the fruit reveals the willingness to sin, perhaps the ease with which people can be drawn into sin, but not sin’s intellectual or moral source. Only in Christian thinking, with its notion that the snake represents Satan, who constantly incites humans to sin, does Gen. 3 become significant as an explanation of the ultimate cause of sinfulness. But, by contrast to this approach, in which the story of the “fall” becomes foundational to all thinking about human nature, the episode is not even referred to elsewhere in the Hebrew Bible. This is a clear indication that the story of the Garden of Eden was hardly at the heart of Israel’s overall thinking about sin.
Indeed, rather than explaining sin through reference to the actions of Adam and Eve, other passages in the Hebrew Scriptures usually associate the predilection to sin simply with human nature.

Neusner, J., Avery-Peck, A. J., & Green, W. S. (Eds.). (2000). In The encyclopedia of Judaism (Vol. 3, p. 1321). Leiden; Boston; Köln: Brill.

Think about it, Adam is not mentioned outside of Genesis again until he pops up in a genealogy list in 2 Chron 1:1-4 and then again in Hosea

7 But like Adam, they transgressed the covenant; (Ho 6:7)

I just don’t see a lot of concern as to the origin of sin just an acknowledgement that man is sinful.

Hope this helps.

3 Likes

What we miss in a Protestant/Catholic faith and the Bible is an actual cycle of Bible reading year after year of the Spiritual foundation of God and man. The cycle reminds the listeners and readers of Genesis though Numbers. The Adam story is not forgotten at all.

3 Likes

Hi Ruth Marie,

I have tried on several occasions to email the Chabad center down the street and stopped by a couple of times to ask for an interview, to no avail. I plan on asking some of my neighbors who are involved in their synagogue for an interview. If I am able to speak with anyone I will let you know.

Thank you!
Mary Beth

3 Likes

Thank you Mary Beth for your efforts!

The Chabad organization has a very open web site with very good insight on their perspectives of Jewish thought and practice. However, on a local congregational cell level I have witnessed there is a guarded response to outsiders. There are strange rationales from my daughter and son-in-law who have converted into a Chabad group and I would suggest some careful prayer and guarded relationship due to excellent anti-dogma of Christian theology. They are very convincing in their Jewish apologetics and could cause confusion unless you firmly strong n Christian apologetics.

1 Like

Brian,

I agree that we are sometimes met with suspicion and caution. Upon observation, I have wondered if it is due to an unfortunate rise in anti-Semitism, but also, and maybe more so, our history as Christians towards the people of God. Certainly not all Christians have behaved badly towards the Jews, but we still have a lot of ground to make up.

My next door neighbor once told me she thought that if you were a Gentile that meant you were automatically a Christian. We see how easy it is for assumptions to lead to misunderstandings and these misunderstandings lead to divisions and, left unchecked and unverified, hatred.

Another neighbor told me that growing up she was accused of being a Christ-killer. Her question to me, “How did I kill Him? I couldn’t say His name in my house.”

We know that as Gentiles we are the recipients of spiritual blessings from the Jews (Romans 15.27) and that blessing is Salvation (John 4.22). May God help us to live in such a way that causes His people to become jealous of our inheritance in Christ (Romans 11.14) so that they may transition, by grace, from ‘people’ to sons and daughters of Yeshua HaMashiach.

Grace and peace,
Mary Beth

2 Likes

(I have no idea why this reply posted in this thread!)
@roslynfarmer781, I must point out a common misunderstanding of the vision Peter had with the unclean animals. Peter explicitly gives the interpretation which has nothing to do with eating unclean animals.
Please read the whole scripture story again of Peter called to dine with Gentiles with the understanding that Jews would never eat with Gentiles and have rare exchanges with pagans.
Cornelius was a Roman centurion, label: Pagan.
Cornelius was upright, God-fearer, a man highly regarded by the whole Jewish nation. Still unclean by Jewish standards.

The Spirit told Peter:
““And while Peter was pondering the vision, the Spirit said to him, “Behold, three men are looking for you. Rise and go down and accompany them without hesitation, for I have sent them.””
‭‭Acts‬ ‭10:19-20‬ ‭ESV‬‬

Sheet comes down 3 times. 3 men.
‭‭
He repeats the interpretation in Acts 11:1-18. This is the opening of the door of the Jewish believers of the Messiah that God has enabled the Gentiles to everlasting life.
“When they heard these things they fell silent. And they glorified God, saying, “Then to the Gentiles also God has granted repentance that leads to life.””
‭‭Acts‬ ‭11:18‬ ‭ESV‬‬
https://www.bible.com/59/act.11.18.esv

This vision of unclean animals has nothing to do with dietary laws.
It has everything to do with you and I becoming acceptable not to God, but to the Jewish fathers of faith who recognized the Messiah and lived in Him.