Raising the dead now and Judgement

The Bible teaches that it is appointed unto man to die once and after that judgment. And in another place, teaches that we should go and raise up the dead as we preach the gospel.

Q. Since it is appointed unto man to die once and after that judgment then why is the resurrection of the dead important.
Q. Why not allow the dead stay dead. Will raising the dead not distort ones judgement.

I was asked this same question today but am not satisfy with the answer I gave… Please I need some insight.
Thank you.

2 Likes

Hi John Michael,

In seeking to understand your questions better, I have some questions that I hope will better enable me to understand what you are asking.

My first question is: Do you know the specific Bible reference to the second verse you mentioned? “That we should go and raise up the dead as we preach the gospel.”

My second question has to do with the quote, “Why not allow the dead to stay dead? Will raising the dead not distort one’s judgement?” If you happen to know the location of this passage I am interested in reading it.

I look forward to hearing from you and continuing our dialogue.

Grace and peace,
Mary Beth

3 Likes

Alright @MaryBeth1

As I understood my questioner, I think he was referring to Matthew 10:7,8 (concerning the raising of the dead)

Why not just allow the dead stay dead? Will raising the dead not distort ones judgment… Are his own question and not that he was referring to a particular Bible references. He was quite confused and needed some clarification.

Thank you.

1 Like

Hi John Michael,

The Bible speaks of two different kinds of death. Physical death and spiritual death. Matthew 10.28 addresses this. “Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both body and soul in hell.”

For the person who has trusted in Jesus as their personal Savior to forgive their sins and give them eternal life the Bible promises:

2 Corinthians 5.8 To be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord.

Isaiah 57.2 Those who walk uprightly (trust in Christ) enter into peace; they find rest as they lie in death.

1 Thessalonians 4.14 “…God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in Him.”

First Corinthians 15.12-17 is perhaps the more direct answer to the question, “Why is the resurrection of the dead important?”

“But if it is preached that Christ has been raised from the dead, how can some of you say that there is no resurrection of the dead? If there is no resurrection of the dead, then not even Christ has been raised. And if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is worthless, and so is your faith. In that case, we are exposed as false witnesses about God. For we have testified about God that He raised Christ from the dead, but He did not raise Him if in fact the dead are not raised. For if the dead are not raised, then not even Christ has been raised. And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins.”

So the purpose of our resurrection is to prove the supremacy and superiority of Christ and ultimately to point always to the One who “has the power to lay down His own life and to take it up again.” John 10.18.

The other purpose, as stated in your earlier post, is to give an account for the decision we have made regarding where we have chosen to spend our eternity and also how we lived the life He gave us. Like Job in the Old Testament, we will not be doing the questioning. God will. We will know that His judgements are based on full knowledge, justice, truth and love.

I hope this has been helpful and will help your friend as well. Please let me know if something I have posted is unclear and needs further elaboration.

Grace and peace,
Mary Beth

3 Likes

@WorshipGod From the reference in Matthew that you gave Jesus is specifically talking to the 12 disciples. He was giving them authority to perform miracles for the ministry he set them up on. This was part of their discipleship and evidence to show that the gospel they were preaching was true.

Now in that context them raising the dead doesn’t interfere with judgement after death because everyone they raised died again. God ultimately is in control of this because no one can raise the dead on their own but solely through the power of the Holy Spirit anyway. This means God is raising the dead not the disciples themselves, God is just working through them using them as a vessel. So really if someone is raised from the dead whether it be 2000 yrs ago or 2 hours ago its God’s plan and nothing has interfered with it.

God Bless :blush:

2 Likes

Hello, my brother. So nice to continue our conversations in this forum.
I was going to ask the same questions as Mary @MaryBeth1 for clarification. In God’s wisdom, I was reading Luke 10 today, especially vs 20. Matthew 10 and Luke 10 are talking about the same subject: Jesus sending out the disciples on “internship training”, so to speak. Matthew 10 talks about Jesus giving the disciples authority to do the very same things He had been doing such as healing the sick, casting out demons, cleansing leprosy, and raising the dead. However, when Jesus raised the dead while He was on earth, it wasn’t for judgment purposes. It was that people might believe --if not in Him, then the miracles (or works) He did (John 10: 38). (However, if they ultimately rejected Him when they died, they would be judged later.)
In Luke 10:17-18, the disciples came back excited that they had been able to do what Christ gave them the authority to do. But Jesus tells them not to be so impressed by that as by the fact that their names are written in heaven. In the previous verses, Jesus is pronouncing judgment on the towns and people who would reject the message the disciples were bringing. Sodom never had the gospel preached to them, but these towns would. So, these people and towns, by rejecting the gospel, were bringing judgment on themselves later. Your friend’s referring to Matthew 10: 8 was really taking it out of context and without understanding. (That’s why he needs your witness).
There will be two final judgments in the end times. One will be the Judgment Seat of Christ (2 Cor. 5: 10) when the saints who have been resurrected or caught up to heaven (1 Thes. 4:13-17) will be judged by the works they have done and be rewarded crowns accordingly. It is not a judgment of condemnation to eternal death in the Lake of Fire (Rev. 12: 4, 14, 27). However, there will be a resurrection of all unbelievers after the Great Tribulation (Rev. 20:11-15). These will be judged for not believing and rejecting the gospel. These are the ones who will spend eternity, as Revelation 12 states, in the Lake of Fire. This is the meaning of the Scripture that says, "It is appointed unto men once to die (spiritual and physical death), and then the judgment. (Hebrews 9:27). [email protected] explained that very well.
I hope this helps you with your friend.

1 Like

What an encouragement @MaryBeth1, @Luna and @sgewehr.

I am glad you all placed a responds. I resonate with all your answers. I will be meeting with him soon and hoping to share these answers with him.

Many Blessings

I don’t believe we are given the ability to ‘raise the dead’ or at least not the physically dead. My belief is that our Lord is telling us to raise the Spiritually dead (as was mentioned in another post). The great commission is to Go and make disciples, which means to me that we are to help bring others to a saving knowledge of the Truth. Bringing the Spiritually dead in Christ to Him for Salvation and eternal Life

1 Like

There is a Christian group in Africa that has a requirement that a person seeking to be a minister must raise a dead person - and yes they do - The bible makes it clear that Christians other than the Disciples did in fact heal and raise the dead - In the present time we have Christians who have took the commission of healing seriously and do have a proven history of healing and in some cases of raising the dead. A good book on the subject is" Divine Healing Made Easy" by the Praying Medic.
Basically all True Christians have not only the Authority but the duty to heal - it’s part of being a Christian in True Faith.

1 Like