Reading the Bible Cover to cover

What is your advise in how to read the Bible cover to cover?

3 Likes

Great question @WDandy! I like to use the YouVersion Bible app on my phone and iPad. There are some wonderful programs that take you through the Bible in a year. You can also find them online at www.bible.com!

3 Likes

Hello Louela,
nice to hear from you :slightly_smiling_face:
I read the bible from cover to cover, in chronological order, last year in just under 6 months. This year I decided to slow it down and did the same again from Jan to end in December.
From Jan 2020, I plan to repeat this exercise but over two-years to allow me read other books - this time with a group of close friends.
A devotional study bible is very helpful. I also noticed that I prefer to read a hard copy and not
e-versions. I also now enjoy making notes. I feel so rich for this experience and the Holy Spirit has left me speechless at times at how he teaches me and opens my eyes to new things. A bible dictionary is helpful too. I also decided to pick out all of God’s names and characteristics as I read through the 2nd time and I have found and listed 70+ so far and I go over the list regularly so I never forget how amazing God is. :blush:
The 2-year plan is great as weekends are free for one to catch up or have a break.
I have learned so much and my enthusiasm for scripture has skyrocketed!! I am excited at the prospect of opening this great timeless book for the next nuggets of wisdom and God’s words each day. It has fuelled my prayer life. Jesus is real to me and even more so each day. Let me stop here as I could go on and on. But I hope this is of some help!

3 Likes

Catherine, thank you for your thoughtful response. Can I join your Bible study 2 year plan? I need a support/buddy to keep me on track with my Bible readings.

3 Likes

Fabulous! It would be amazing to read through the bible with you. This is the link to the plan I hope to follow again.

If anyone else would like to join us, they would be most welcome. Who knows, maybe we can even compare notes or discuss passages/quotes etc.
I so look forward to it!

2 Likes

I can invite my friend and sisters if they would like to join!
Thank you and I am so excited!
Also how do you use this 2 year reading plan?

2 Likes

Thank you for this suggestion Joshua!

2 Likes

Absolutely! The more the merrier :smiley:

We begin the plan on 1 January 2020. Each box contains 5 days worth of reading. For example, the first box starts with Gen 1-3 (Mon),Gen 4-7 (Tues), Gen 8-11 (Wed) Job 1-4 (Thurs) and Job 5-9 (Fri).

On Sat and Sun you can revise or catch up.
Then we continue this way for the rest of the cycle.
Some days have heftier passages than others and it will require discipline and regularity. But it will be a very rewarding experience if you stick to it. I’m in France so it makes me very happy to know that friends across the globe are considering doing this simultaneously.
The plan also alternates between OT and NT (2weeks of OT and 1 week of NT) - this is also why I chose this plan.
Much as I love listening to sermons and messages and reading books, I have made it my mission to be well-grounded in scripture. All the best and God bless you.

2 Likes

I am with you on this. I prefer to read a hard copy. If you like to read and make notes at the same time I have found the Scripture Journals a fantastic resource! Each book of the Bible is its own journal. You have the Scriptures on the left page and a lined journal on the other. I love being about to carry around a single book, it is so much more convenient! It also seems to help me focus on that one book I am reading.

https://www.christianbook.com/esv-scripture-journal-new-testament-19/9781433562440/pd/562440?en=google&event=SHOP&kw=bibles-40-60|562440&p=1179710&dv=c&gclid=Cj0KCQiAno_uBRC1ARIsAB496IXNtFgtLDDd3KAsiHIsrjaSQr07dbY2jwlfjaI0FQTUm3vEfiFmkzoaAs3WEALw_wcB

1 Like

Joshua, I have been looking for a resource like this for a while now!
THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this! I love it!
I can definitely purchase the set before January 1st and then make copies for whoever is joining the Bible study/reading.
Would you like to join us?

1 Like

So glad you’re joining us.
I have so many notebooks for the moment - I didn’t realize such a resource existed. I’m learning something everyday on this forum.
Thanks!!

1 Like

I will certainly consider it! Keep me updated. I read through the Bible chronologically in a year last year. Would be good to go through it again, but at a bit of a slower pace to give time for other reading and reflection.