Recovery Bible for addiction

I work in an area where there is a lot of foot traffic. I walk around the blocks quite often. I have met a few individuals who struggle with addiction. I have given one of them a recovery Bible. I wrote a note inside assuring them that I wasn’t giving them the Bible because I think they are bad. I was giving it to them because they are valuable and I hoped it would speak life into their soul. After that, I pray and ask the Lord to do His work in them.
I spoke with someone yesterday that I have “chatted” with for three years. It’s mostly them telling me how bad things are and that they need money. I have no problem giving money, even though I realize money is not the answer and I assume that most of it will go to their addiction. I am trying to establish trust and I am willingly being used. All that is fine and good but yesterday was different. They are still in the same boat with no change and even a little worse. I asked them if they had a personal relationship with Jesus. They said that they did pray for help but got nowhere. I shared that I understood addiction only from observation of some loved ones. I shared that I have also observed healing from addiction after some of them developed a personal relationship with Jesus. I asked if they would be open to this and could I give them a Recovery Bible? They said yes. I ordered 3 more bibles yesterday so I will have a couple more on hand.
So, I am hopeful. Hopeful for a small “change” in this community. One brick at a time, so to speak.

Anyone here who works with addicts? Your input would be so valuable. Anyone here who struggles with addiction and has been delivered? Your input would be equally or even more valuable! How would you minister to these people? What would you say as you hand this Bible to them?

I read in John 5:6 "When Jesus saw him lying there and learned that he had been in this condition for a long time, he asked him, "Do you want to get well?"
I am hoping that these individuals want to get well. Imagine if just one of them is delivered, the impact they would have in this community.
Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer :pray:

6 Likes

Although I have never worked with addicts, I am very moved by your question and am looking for an answer myself. One of my best friends growing up became an addict. She was one of the sweetest people I have ever known, and I miss her dearly. I believe for her the root of her addiction was that she lived a homosexual lifestyle. I believe this because I know that she had genuinely accepted Jesus Christ as her Lord and Savior, and she struggled deeply with knowing homosexuality was wrong, but being tricked by the world that it was not. For her this created a tremendous struggle in her spirit and she slipped into bouts of depression and drugs to try and forget this struggle. Her struggle ended earlier this year due to an accidental overdose and Christ brought her home. One of the things I struggled with when it came to my friend was that she was not without good family, friend, and church support. She knew that we all valued her and loved her deeply, but the she was so often tortured by the demon assigned to her, that she would lose herself in her addiction and lose touch with us all. To me I see her struggle as evidence of how deceptive our world has become, that even a genuine Christian can fall victim to that deception to the point that it brought about her accidental overdose.
I know this is more of a different perspective on this topic than it is an answer to it, but I pray that someone sees this threat and can share their wisdom about it.

2 Likes

I really appreciate your taking the time to respond. I am so sorry about your best friend. It must break your heart. I am grateful to hear she had accepted Christ and is safe in His arms where the is no condemnation.
You did help me by reiterating how valuable each individual is. We do not know what a person has been through, going through or struggling with.
God bless :pray:

Hi there, Sig. I come from a very multi-addicted background, and Jesus came to me in the form of AA/NA, then patiently opened my spiritual eyes to see Him more clearly (and eternally).

Are 12 Step fellowships available in your area? They are all based on Biblical principles, though they are open to any backgrounds, including atheism.

The attitude of empathy and understanding / acceptance is very therapeutic, and helps the suffering addict relate to those in recovery. As addicts recover in the Fellowships, they begin to grow spiritually and many want closer Christian relationships.

If you can incorporate the meetings, and a 12 Step Bible study with the person, you may find a more effective way to reach them. Also, there is a topic here entitled, “Jesus in the 12 Step Fellowships?”, that you might want to look at.

God bless your heart and your efforts, for Him.

2 Likes

Thank you @DeanW for your input! I did look around a little but I haven’t seen anything in the immediate area. I will have to do more research before I meet up with them again. This person is homeless. It’s quite possible they already know of somewhere but maybe not willing to go yet???
This person is not lazy. They offer to wash my car, do odd jobs, etc. They are willing to work but cannot hold down a job due to their addiction.
Was there a defining moment when you decided or was prompted to go to AA/NA? If I were to have met you on the streets, what would have been most meaningful to you? Other than receiving money, clothing, food, a bible, etc. I hope you don’t mind me asking you these questions. I have lost 2 loved ones to addiction. It is sad. They were in and out of rehab multiple times but ultimately lost the battle.

Hi again, Sig. Was there a “defining moment” for me as i was hitting my “bottom”? Probably many, since i was so stubborn and rebellious (still can be sometimes, right Lord?)

One thing i believe is true of many additive types in recovery: someone was praying for them. I remember that it moved me when a person showed they cared about me, wanted to help me without trying to “boss” me around, and offered to pray for me, right then and there.

I think it was their ability to call on God (the One i didn’t believe in because He didn’t seem to care about me at all), in childlike faith that He loved them/me and always wants to help us. The idea that “He has a Plan for your life” began to take root, along with the massive doubt.

Then there were the little “coincidences” that began to happen, along with the growing misery of active addiction (not being able to hold a job, fighting with my wife and then the separation, health degenerating quickly, deep paranoia, lack of true friends, self-loathing because of what i was becoming, etc.) All of these began to make me desperate; i had to find a solution or kill myself, and i couldn’t seem to kill myself – too big a coward at the last moment.

Anyway, somehow He brought various unconditionally loving people to me, including folks in recovery. And so, after running out of alternatives, i ended up going to a 12 Step meeting, got scared, didn’t go back for a while, but where else did i have to go? I had tried lots and lots of religious approaches, churches, temples, etc, but was unable to maintain the “self-effort” (I thought then) to “be good” – i had no actual understanding of grace.

So, if you are so led, be a friend, don’t enable (no mere handouts, but fair pay for fair work is good), pray for and with him, and get some recovery literature and meeting lists.

You might also attend a meeting as a visitor (you don’t have to say anything, just listen and observe the changes in people, and see the Biblical nature of the principles being learned). I’ll add my own prayers and would be glad to communicate with him by email, it that is desired.

I imagine that you can imagine what he is going to be like as Jesus begins to set him free…Let it be soon, Lord!

1 Like

You have be so helpful! Thank you so much for taking the time to share :pray::heart:

I understand your heart. I have several family members addicted to heroin. They are wonderful people but the substance dictates how they live their lives. It has been devastating to watch. I try to share food and warm clothes but I cannot give money because I know where it will inevitably go. Also just pray with them. It is important to share Gods love for them and the eternal hope that He offers, especially in the midst of dire circumstances.

2 Likes