Reference to Esau in the Book of Hebrews

(Meredith Grey) #1

A couple of months ago, I fell into sexual sin, knowing it was wrong and knowing that Christ did not approve of my actions. I was deeply disturbed by my choice and examined my motives. As such, I recognized that I had chosen a fleeting moment of pleasure over the will of God - and had done so willingly.

This further disturbed me. I began to read in the book of Hebrews the reference to Esau and how he sold his birthright for a single meal and when seeking repentance, found that God had turned away. I resonate with this story and for months now, have been incredibly unsettled. I have read several articles and commentaries responding to similar concerns and have found several incredibly distressing. One such article on John Piper’s website reads:

"Oh, how patient he is. Oh, how many hundreds of times he has been willing to return to you and me. None of us deserved any one of those returns — not one. But we do not know when we may have sent him away for the last time. And let it be clear: If he never returns, it is we who sent him away. It is we who chose the single meal of lust. It is we who sent him away. ‘You go. I am done with you. I don’t want you. I want this. Right now I want this, not you.’ We have sent him away. And any talk of blaming God here is just another old victim card being played to justify our desires.”

In my understanding, God absolutely has the right to walk away when I choose sin over Him. Yet, in His patience and mercy, He continually remains faithful, even when His children are faithless. However, I also understand the gravity and severity of my sin and do not take it lightly. I have had a recurring image in my mind that has driven a wedge, blocking my intimacy with God, and has been slowly eating away at my faith; whenever I attempt to apply the verse you referenced at the end of the article, I am haunted by the question: does this still apply to me? Moreover, if I am unable to know whether or not God has turned and departed from me, then how can I fight for repentance and claim the promises of God?

This same article ends with Hebrews 12:2 in saying: "So let me end there. '[Look] to Jesus, the founder and perfector of [your] faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated’ — not as an Esau — 'at the right hand of the throne of God’ (Hebrews 12:2). He did it for you, and he will do it in you. Look to him. See reality for what it is. Be strengthened by grace. Know that you are not helpless, and put to death the lie when it comes.”

Yet in light of the beginning of this article in conjunction with my own guilt, even though I have repented from my sin and am no longer engaged in such sexual behavior, I envision myself running towards Jesus only to have him turn away because I have become like Esau. I am not mad at God, neither do I see myself as a victim in any way - my rejection is justified.

Is such rejection true on biblical grounds? All of scripture seems to point to the mercy and grace that is to be received as a gift to God’s children in conjunction with a healthy fear of God as well. Should I be seriously worried that I have fallen away and become like Esau, or, is this a lie from the Enemy that is aimed at my faith in the nature of God?

I would be very appreciative of your responses.

9 Likes
(Roy Sujanto) #2

Hi @megrey,

Thank you for opening up and being so vulnerable to us. People like you are reasons a community like us can continue to grow closer together in trust, acceptance and accountability.

In regards to your concern, we are not under the law anymore but under grace. I would suggest reading Romans 7 thoroughly, meticulously meditating word by word to understand each lines before you move on to the next. and Paul gives us a wonderful promise in Romans 8:1-2 NLT “So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. 2 And because you belong to him, the power of the life-giving Spirit has freed you from the power of sin that leads to death.”

As long as you are still breathing, it can never be too late to repent.

Here the devil, your accuser, stands exactly among the accusing crowd, who told Jesus in John 8:5 “The law of Moses says to stone her. What do you say?”

When Jesus stooped to write in the sand(dust), He was invoking the scripture of Jeremiah 17:13, those who abandon and rejected Jesus as the fountain of living water(which just happened in the previous chapter), will be put to shame. And Jesus said the famous line in verse 7, for those who never sinned to throw the first stone. And one by one, the accusers left the scene in shame, until only Jesus and the woman is left alone. This is probably the state where you are now, and it is such a wonderful, serene place to be, where you are all alone just with Jesus, no more accusers among you. And Jesus said lovingly to this beloved woman, “Neither do I condemn you. Go and sin no more.

And not long after that in the next verse, Jesus said to the people once more, “I am the Light of the world. If you follow me, you won’t have to walk in darkness, because you will have the light that leads to life.”

I know there are so many theological studies on grace, but I felt led not to bombard you with those, but to relate to you from this beautiful episode in the bible.

Hope the light and love of Jesus leads you to life, no more walking in darkness. No more condemnation. Just pure light and sacred love encompassing you.

Blessings in Christ,
Roy Sujanto

6 Likes
(Brian Lalor) #3

Meredith,

You are so close to God. It is incredible. I hope and pray that you see the truth. The fact that you are even asking this question, shows you are very much born again and nothing can take that away from you.
From Genesis to Revelation the bible tells the story of how Jesus died to bring the likes of you and me into a relationship with him. Bathe yourself in the word of God, Romans 7 as @RoySujanto suggested and into 8. I would also like to give you this scripture and suggest you print it out and stick it to your mirror to read each day.
Hebrews 13:5b from the Amplified Bible:
“He himself has said, I will not in anyway fail you or give you up nor leave you without support. I will not, I will not, I will not in any degree leave you helpless nor forsake nor let you down, relax my hold on you, assuredly not!”
He has given you the power to overcome any temptation known to man, run to him and keep bringing sin to the light as you are doing here. Darkness finds it very difficult to live in the light.
Sincerely,
Brian

5 Likes
(Sieglinde) #4

Oh @megrey God bless your soul for being completely vulnerable and authentic❤️ I could not have said it better than @RoySujanto and I am so stirred in my spirit that God placed him here in your hour of need. You are not alone! We are all broken. We are all capable. I am praying for you this very moment.
In my understanding of the scripture that is referenced concerning Essau, it is not the same type of repentance. Essau was not repenting of his sin, he wanted his blessing back.
There are very gifted people in this community who have more knowledge on this so I refer you to @SeanO.
**—Proverbs 28:13 “ Whoever conceals their sins does not prosper but the one who confesses and renounces them finds mercy”
That is what you’ve done and forgiveness is immediate!

6 Likes
(SeanO) #5

@megrey Dear sister, praise the Lord for your desire to honor Him with your mind, body and soul! I am so sorry to hear that you have been struggling with this heartache. The Scripture is clear that God forgives all who come to Him in repentance. The danger is never that God will not forgive, but that our own hearts may become hardened by habitual sin to the point that we no longer truly seek forgiveness. But along with the author of Hebrews, I believe better things in your case :slight_smile: Be encouraged and take heart.

Hebrews 6:9 - Even though we speak like this, dear friends, we are convinced of better things in your case–the things that have to do with salvation.

I’ve provided some additional resources below I hope you find instructive and encouraging. May the God of all peace give you comfort and fill you with His Spirit as you seek to honor and love Him. May He replace this image of Jesus turning away with an image of Jesus clothing you white garments and inviting you into His house :slight_smile: The Lord’s mercy is new every morning!

As long as you are still capable of repentance, God has not abandoned you

1 John 1:8-9 - If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

• the danger Hebrews is warning us against is having a hardened heart - not sinning once. A hardened heart refuses to repent, just like the Israelites who hardened their hearts against God in the wilderness. Your heart is not hardened if you are willing to repent.
  • Hebrews pictures God as a Father who disciplines his children when they sin, but no father kicks their kid out of he family every time they mess up. Yes, we must repent. Yes, we must take sin seriously. But so long as we are sincere in our repentance, the image we should have is of a loving Father.
  • Esau, as far as I can tell, was not guilty of only sinning once. He appears to have been both carnally minded and without room for God in his mind, if my analysis is correct. You are neither - you want God to be in your life.

Hebrews 3:13-14 - See to it, brothers and sisters, that none of you has a sinful, unbelieving heart that turns away from the living God. But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called “Today,” so that none of you may be hardened by sin’s deceitfulness.

Hebrews 12:7-11 - Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as his children. For what children are not disciplined by their father? If you are not disciplined—and everyone undergoes discipline—then you are not legitimate, not true sons and daughters at all. Moreover, we have all had human fathers who disciplined us and we respected them for it. How much more should we submit to the Father of spirits and live! They disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, in order that we may share in his holiness. No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

Esau appears to have suffered from two chief sins:

1. Being worldly minded (carnal)
  2. Having no room for God in his mind (which explains why he never properly understood the significance of his inheritance or his marriages)

Some people become very anxious because they believe they have committed the unforgivable sin. But there is no need for this anxiety if a person is afraid they have committed the sin, because a person who has committed blasphemy of the Spirit would not care that they had done so . This sin is not a one time act - it is a life long attitude of suppressing the testimony of God’s Spirit.

King David’s Prayer in Psalms 51

A very instructive prayer in the face of known sin in our lives is David’s pray in Psalms 51. David committed both murder and adultery. He says he feels as if he has sinned from his birth - that is how overwhelming his guilt felt. But he does two important things.

1 - recognizes God’s grace
2 - recognizes that words and sacrifices are not enough - he must come to God with a broken spirit and a contrite heart

Psalms 51:1-2 - Be gracious to me, God,
according to Your faithful love;
according to Your abundant compassion,
blot out my rebellion.
2 Wash away my guilt
and cleanse me from my sin.

Psalms 51:16-17 - You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it; you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings. My sacrifice, O God, is a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart you, God, will not despise.

6 Likes
(Rabin Rai) #6

Hi @megrey,

I really appreciate for your honesty of your inner conflicts. I am bit moved by it.I just wanna share some of my testimony apart from the verses mention above.

I was in past fleeing away from will of God (i surely do know that it was wrong) for my own pleasures and enjoyment(not in sex but other world comforts). I felt guilt and in very low line of gratitute as i even sometimes, i am awful person and how can i come before God(thought even Bible says who don’t follow/obeys will perish). It was so that i can present myself in Church fellowship and even reading Bible. But just one day i pushed myself into the church and listening to this Pastor’s sermon, I felt that it was telling me particularly and after few weeks another sermon of another Pastor also felt like it was pointing me(in that same morning i was praying that i have this & that. I have nothing. Please help me…). This both sermons was so effective to my heart that i knew that was what God give me answer(All sermons i listen before i remember these particularly).

I got two points from these two sermons that helped me at that time(works now too):

1. By guilt and knowing our sins, we(mostly christian background) run away from God as we think that we are not worthy OR according to Bible i am too disgrace. That is when enemy(Satan) want us to more bend in lost part. But that what really is, we should come to God even in our guilt and disgrace and hug Him in our life. And once we accept that He is one that can help us, our heart transforms that the things that make us to have guilt and remorse will be not there/ will be forgetten in our life.
  2. Our life is like bottle(in sense of different thoughts, emotions, etc we put there). We sometime (may be lots of time), we put lots of things like need of money, need of success, health & securities, etc. And then after this, we try to put God in there, but now there is no place for it as it is fully filled already. So, we ask questions and sometime runs away. But we must first empty ourself / our life from those things. We should put God in first there. He knows what best for us. He will only keep good things and all good comes then to us. As Bible says, “But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.” - Matthew 6: 33.

Hope this will help you some way in journey to Christ.
May GOD bless you and lead you to right path.

4 Likes
(Sieglinde) #7

Thank you @SeanO

3 Likes