Support RZIM Connect

Relativism: Am I living my life by the truth of God? (Chapter 6)

In this week’s episode, Shawn and Ivy both mentioned aspects of Jesus Among Secular Gods that were challenging for them. However, the topics that don’t come easily to us might be the most important ones for our friends. Shawn shared Matthew 22:37-40 and asked whether any of us who are listening need to dig into a difficult topic out of love of our neighbor.

And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets.”

I appreciated Shawn’s question, so I collected it and a few others sprinkled throughout the podcast, and I listed them below for discussion. Unlike relativism, Christianity offers us a foundation for morality and an absolute standard for life—the standard of God’s love. How is God leading you to live out that love this week?

1. Is there a topic that does doesn’t come naturally to me that I need to dig into more deeply in order to serve my neighbor well?

2. Do my actions, words, and internet posts look different because I know God loves all people and has given them intrinsic worth?

3. How am I giving myself to the Lord sacrificially today and not just reflecting on that one sacrifice I made for Him in the past?

4. If I really believed that the consummation of my life is an eternal relationship with the God who loves me and is preserving me the whole way along, what would change in my life? What would I be willing to risk for Him?

5. What one thing is God asking me to do or think or say differently in the coming week because of something in this chapter?