Reliable Church History Resources

Hi everyone!

Do you have any recommendations where I could find reliable church history resources on the internet? There’s loads of info online but I’m not really sure what’s true and reliable.

Thanks in advance!

2 Likes

Hello Anna,

This is not an internet resource, but I have been reading the book series “2000 Years of Christ’s Power” by Nick Needham, and it is a very comprehensive, yet easy to read, resource on church history. It is used by some seminaries as a textbook in their church history classes, and I was first introduced to it by a church history class from The Master’s Seminary. I would highly recommend it if you are interested in book resources as well. It’s available on Amazon in both hard copy and Kindle form.

I hope that helps Anna. May God grant you wisdom in finding the resources that you need. God bless.

Matthew

2 Likes

Hi, @imanname! Do you have any specific period of church history that you’re interested in or is it mainly a general overview?

2 Likes

Hello Kathleen,

I am interested in the early years of the church, probably after what happened in Acts, the post-apostolic period (if there’s such a thing as that :sweat_smile:). I want to dig on that a bit, and I want to know how Roman Catholicism influenced the church somehow?

3 Likes

Here is a good website. It should help you to focus on your study.
https://www.ccel.org/fathers.html

3 Likes

Fabulous. :slight_smile: I see @Jimmy_Sellers has linked you to some primary sources. Always :100:. Here’s who is coming to the top of my head:

• NT Wright – former of Bishop of Durham and New Testament scholar/Pauline theologian. He has a very in depth understanding of Jesus’ social context and the world of the New Testament
  • Diarmaid MacCulloch – Professor of the History of the Church at Oxford. He is a fairly prolific writer in this area, so some of his smaller books or BBC documentaries may be of help?
  • Alister McGrath – Professor of Science and Religion at Oxford…he’s also an intellectual historian, so he traces the history of ideas. He has written a lot of classic introductory ‘textbooks’ for theology students.

I’ll try to be thinking of other resources!

3 Likes

I know this is a little late but I would like to add this guys blog.

He has a lot of stuff that you will not find elsewhere. Enjoy.
2 Likes

Thank you @KMac! Sorry for the late reply. I will look into them. :blush:

1 Like

Thanks @Jimmy_Sellers! Will check this out. Thanks for your inputs!

1 Like

Continuing the discussion from Reliable Church History Resources:

Way of life literature is a great resource for articles and books on church history. There are articles, ebooks, and much more!

Resource by historian as to what happened in Europe after Acts
“The Barbarian Conversion: From Paganism to Christianity:”
By Richard Fletcher
Bests
John M

You are welcome. Hope that helps with your studies.