Remote Viewing

For those of you who don’t know, Remote Viewing is the practice of seeking impressions about a distant or unseen target, purportedly using extrasensory perception (ESP) or “sensing” with the mind.
It became popularized after the declassification of the Stargate Project by the CIA in 1995. The Stargate Project was the code name for a secret U.S. Army unit established in 1978 at Fort Meade, Maryland, by the Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA) and SRI International to investigate the potential for psychic phenomena in military and domestic intelligence applications.

Though controversial in it’s nature, the program survived for 20 years and received 20$ million dollars in funding. Since the scientific community is materialistic in it’s philosophical approach, the subject of their research was well frowned upon. Is this, however, a step forward in recognizing an immaterial aspect of ourselves in the sciences - that we aren’t merely our brains - or does this research border occultism?

Love to hear your thoughts.

Hi @aschwartzman7,

So we can better enter into the dialogue with you, could you share how you think remote viewing fits in with the Scriptures?

1 Like

Hi @CarsonWeitnauer, as a matter of fact, this is one of the things I thought to ask the community here at Connect; since the bible doesn’t speak of Remote Viewing. Maybe there is some application found in scripture, however, like in John 1:48, when Jesus sees Nathanael and knows exactly where he was. ““How do you know me?” Nathanael asked. Jesus answered, “I saw you while you were still under the fig tree before Philip called you.”

1 Like

Hi @aschwartzman7,

Robert Mounce comments on John 1:48,

There is considerable speculation regarding what may be intended by “I saw you under the fig tree.” At times rabbis studied and taught under a fig tree. In Micah 4:4 and Zechariah 3:10, sitting under a fig tree appears to symbolize messianic peace.

To me, it seems that we are reading into the text to see remote viewing in this passage. I am not aware of remote viewing being part of the theological framework of the Scriptures or a common Jewish idea in this period.

Rather, this exchange seems to be a clear hint that Jesus is the Messiah who has supernatural knowledge from God.

1 Like

It seems science is already capable of recognizing various non-physical aspects of ourselves. The technology of information is one such entry point into this. And yes, this research seems to blatantly step into occultism.

Seems to me remote viewing is somewhat correlative to occult astral projection. Would you agree?

I’ve read that agencies like the FBI, law enforcement and military have hired psychics from time to time. to get tips. They do it because sometimes it works for them. [King Saul gave in to this temptation with the witch of Endor] It seems reasonable that government would want to try and get science to produce a framework of tangible and practical techniques for performing such things through, predictable and manipulate-able methods. but from my perspective they’re corrupting their agency as scientists to do so. It would be similar to a medical doctor going to African jungles to learn to cast spells like a witch doctor, believing that spell-casting might be utilized as a scientific technology that might be manipulated without a hairball of moral/ spiritual side effects . As I see it, there are things (like this) which God never intended for man to manipulate. Occultism falls into that category. “The secret things belong to the Lord our God” (Deut. 29:29).

1 Like

Hi Carson and Arthur,

My wife sent me a link to connect earlier today so I could share my thoughts on “answering the questioner”, which I did. Browsing the comments now, I just happened across this thread. Arthur, I agree with Carson that Jesus’ remote view of Nathaniel under the tree is definitely another disclosure of his God-likeness. I like what you have read into the world governments (atheistic USSR was heavily invested into this research also) investigations into these phenomenon per your question: “Is this, however, a step forward in recognizing an immaterial aspect of ourselves in the sciences - that we aren’t merely our brains - or does this research border occultism?”. After some thought, I don’t believe the options for interpretation you put forth are mutually exclusive, though “forward” progress is definitely not the result of all supernatural acceptance. When satan encountered Jesus in the wilderness, his temptations affirmed his earthly power/dominion. Satan himself is supernatural in that he is angelic/spirit and operates in the supernatural realm to effect our mortal bodies and our spiritual selves. That satan would give insight to the princes of this world as they war for power should be no surprise. He aims to distract from the humble work of loving God and neighbor, and if he can garner the praise of men by exercising what supernatural influence is allowed him in his time, he often will. But we, the children of God, need no sign of our Fathers wonders that is not given in the word or in nature or in the person of Jesus. We need no sight that is not given us by our Father. We worry not what we will eat or drink, or what our competitors are eating or drinking, because we have no mortal competitor. We wrestle against spirit. I have prayed “Father, deliver me from the desire for a sign, that I may be spared of the need for the sign of Jonah”. A prayer prayed from experience. Some time ago, I spent two years in the belly of a whale and came out with the knowledge of Christs presence, having shared with Christ in a communion suffering, and never wanting to return to that place again. I often need reminding of that time though, and so, he gave me a rock of remembrance. Arthur- may the Word be all the rock you need until he returns. -tanner