Remote Viewing

For those of you who don’t know, Remote Viewing is the practice of seeking impressions about a distant or unseen target, purportedly using extrasensory perception (ESP) or “sensing” with the mind.
It became popularized after the declassification of the Stargate Project by the CIA in 1995. The Stargate Project was the code name for a secret U.S. Army unit established in 1978 at Fort Meade, Maryland, by the Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA) and SRI International to investigate the potential for psychic phenomena in military and domestic intelligence applications.

Though controversial in it’s nature, the program survived for 20 years and received 20$ million dollars in funding. Since the scientific community is materialistic in it’s philosophical approach, the subject of their research was well frowned upon. Is this, however, a step forward in recognizing an immaterial aspect of ourselves in the sciences - that we aren’t merely our brains - or does this research border occultism?

Love to hear your thoughts.

Hi @aschwartzman7,

So we can better enter into the dialogue with you, could you share how you think remote viewing fits in with the Scriptures?

1 Like

Hi @CarsonWeitnauer, as a matter of fact, this is one of the things I thought to ask the community here at Connect; since the bible doesn’t speak of Remote Viewing. Maybe there is some application found in scripture, however, like in John 1:48, when Jesus sees Nathanael and knows exactly where he was. ““How do you know me?” Nathanael asked. Jesus answered, “I saw you while you were still under the fig tree before Philip called you.”

1 Like

Hi @aschwartzman7,

Robert Mounce comments on John 1:48,

There is considerable speculation regarding what may be intended by “I saw you under the fig tree.” At times rabbis studied and taught under a fig tree. In Micah 4:4 and Zechariah 3:10, sitting under a fig tree appears to symbolize messianic peace.

To me, it seems that we are reading into the text to see remote viewing in this passage. I am not aware of remote viewing being part of the theological framework of the Scriptures or a common Jewish idea in this period.

Rather, this exchange seems to be a clear hint that Jesus is the Messiah who has supernatural knowledge from God.

1 Like