Resources for Philosophers, Apologists, Scientists and more to deconstruct the Postmodernist argument

(rebecca thompson) #1

Hello Group,
I would appreciate any references for articles and names of those you deem as successful in arguing against the postmodernist viewpoint. Clear outlines of the argument would be outstanding.
Thank you

(SeanO) #2

@rebecca Here are some resources that I hope will prove useful. I think it is important to understand that postmodernism is not a unified movement but rather a response to modernism that has taken many different forms. N. T. Wright even traces modernism back to an earlier Christendom in his article (provided below). The final video provided from Tim Keller discusses how to reach people for Christ - he gives 6 key points - in a postmodern context. The Lord Jesus grant you wisdom as you study.

“The postmodern ethos resists unified, all-encompassing, and universally valid explanations. It replaces these with a respect for difference and a celebration of the local and particular at the expense of the universal. Postmodernism likewise entails a rejection of the emphasis on rational discovery through the scientific method, which provided the intellectual foundation for the modern attempt to construct a better world” ( Primer , 12)

Sam Storms Article on Postmodernism

“As for postmodernity itself, postmodernity is essentially a negative force, parasitic on modernity; and modernity was itself, is itself, because it’s still going on, parasitic on an older Christian tradition, and indeed an older Christendom , a Christian and imperial combination.”

N. T. Wright on Postmodernism

Equip Article on Postmodenism

This is a sermon by Tim Keller on how to reach people for Christ in a postmodern context.

(rebecca thompson) #3

Thank you! This is very helpful!

I am getting a phd in art and visual culture education. As you may be aware, the arts are the real battlefield for cultural consensus!

Rebecca

(SeanO) #4

@rebecca I am glad it was helpful! Feel free to ask further questions or delve deeper into postmodern thought within your context.

I have often heard Ravi quote the saying: “Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws”. This quote has its roots in a statement from the 1700s by Andrew Fletcher.

The arts are certainly one of the places where the imagination is shaped and a great avenue for reaching people with the love of Christ. Blessings on your PhD studies!

(rebecca thompson) #5

Hi Sean

I am wondering if you have some good advice for phd research topics that will hit the mark so to speak for future generations and to reveal what’s actually being taught even is Christian circles is often idolatrous and harmful to youth. The primary reason culture accepts an idea is through repeated images they see.

I am an artist rebeccathompsonsculpture.com, but God has opened my eyes to see that we are not to counter the scripture with anything we create.

Since your group is on top of the educational research what would you say, is of utmost importance to being to light interns of visual culture and education?

People want to be taught witchcraft and magic. To expose this practice in schools actually is applauded and welcomed in secular circles.

Exposure is one aspect but policy may be the only avenue for making the connection between “magic,” art and education as it relates to religious freedom and restrictions.

Anyway, art is the world that’s taking the youth to very dark places. I say this as an artist, educator and believer in Christ and the scripture.

(SeanO) #6

@rebecca Honestly, I am not at all familiar with this area of research. I am a Computer Scientist. When looking for a research topic, my first step is usually to do a related work / lit review. Google Scholar is a good place to start.

I found zero articles, but two books that tied together religion / Christianity and visual culture and provide links below. You could probably perform a better search because you will know what terms to use, being familiar with the subject. My recommendation is to look at how these people frame visual culture and religion and then choose a topic more related to modern Christianity and its intersection with the broader culture.

For example: Faith and Visual Culture: How Cultural Symbols of 20th Century America Have Influenced the Church

Regarding your concerns about magic and such, I would say simply live out your Christian walk and love those around you. Pray for them that they might know the living God and pray that Jesus would free them from any evil influence. I do not personally think public policy would be a helpful direction to go.

Feel free to continue the discussion. The Lord bless your studies.

The Sacred Gaze: Religious Visual Culture in Theory and Practice

The Art of Conversion: Christian Visual Culture in the Kingdom of the Congo

(rebecca thompson) #7

Thank you! Please pray for our new Ratio Christi apologetics campus group.

God bless

(SeanO) #8

@rebecca Sure thing! May the Lord Jesus open doors for your Ratio Christi group to share His love and truth with many whose hearts are open and to open the hearts of those who are closed to the Gospel. May His Spirit grant you wisdom and strength in all that you do.

Blessings

(Jimmy Sellers) #9

You might try the Gifford lecture 2018 NT Wright. All the lectures are on point but this lecture 5 is Wright at his best contrasting 1st century thought with post-moderns. (the first 6min or so).

(rebecca thompson) #10

Thank you