Resources: S1E3: "Saving Truth Chapter 2"

Every week, we share the resources that we referenced in the most recent episode of the podcast. These could be books, articles, movies, and anything else we mentioned that you might want a link to. If the resource is available for free access online, the link will take you right to it. If not, the link will take you to information on how to get the resource for yourself (for instance, the Amazon link for a book).

If you want to dig deeper, these are some places you can start:

S1E3: Saving Truth Chapter 2

1. Culture Making: Recovering Creative Calling, Andy Crouch

2. The Bible and the Newspaper, Charles Spurgeon

3. RZIM Academy Core Module

4. Matthew 7

5. Looking at the Life of Jesus: 7 Seeker Bible Discussions on the Gospel of John, Rebecca Manley Pippert

6. Good Faith: Being a Christian When Society Thinks you’re Irrelevant and Extreme, David Kinnaman and Gabe Lyons

7. Christians Are Hate-Filled Hypocrites…and Other Lies You’ve Been Told: A Sociologist Shatters Myths From the Secular and Christian Media, Bradley R. E. Wright

8. “As an Atheist, I Truly Believe that Africa Needs God”, Matthew Parris. The London Times (27 December, 2008).

4 Likes

I found this chapter very tough in that I need to take a closer look into my part of adding to the confusion of truth!! Thank you for your insights Ivy and Shawn.

3 Likes

Hi Ivy,

Abdu mentions in chapter 2 under the heading “Seduction in Two-Part Harmony”, Christians have compromised the clarity of Scripture for the sake of acceptance and to avoid conflict. If I remember correctly I can recollect in the podcast that you mention some of your experiences during conversations with people that you had comprised the clarity of the scriptures too. However I do believe that there are occasions that you had conversations where you spoke the truth in love. Personally as a Christian I do face this at all times. I have found a way to practice the truth in love with everyone and I am trying and training myself in my conversations to bring more meaning in the relationships that I build.

So my question is,

Do you find the Christians compromise the clarity of scripture due to the lack of knowledge of the scriptures or the lack of knowledge of applying those scriptures to balance the truth in love in their conversations?

4 Likes

@amudha Hello, that’s a good question. I think it is both. And then there’s the issue of going along to avoid conflict which is partly what you’re talking about in “balancing the truth in love.” It might be easier to go along just to get along rather than to undertake the difficult task of balancing the truth in love and risk coming across as judgemental or bringing conflict into the conversation.

I need to do more reading and studying to provide a better response. But as a truck driver, I have noticed there are different dimensions of the post-modern mindset in relation to the different social classes, or groups, one might find oneself in. My family would be considered upper-caste in India probably, but I would be considered lower-caste. Of course you know , here, you’re not guaranteed to remain in the same caste, or social class, you were born into. Yet that’s another topic.

That’s only just to say, there are different levels of conversation and understanding depending on who you’re talking with. My conversations with people I work with and family are like two different dimensions. Just appearing to sound educated can be a source of conflict with some in my work sphere.

But I am over-complicating the topic. I’m listening to the podcast now. I just paused to respond when I came to this part.

2 Likes