Resources: S3 E1 "Jesus Among Secular Gods Chapter 1- Pt. 1"

Hi Friends @Interested_In_Cover_to_Cover ,
We are excited to finally have season 3 launch today. You can help us by sharing this episode with your friends, making comments on social media, and inviting friends into the discussions on RZIM connect. Below are a few of the people and resources mentioned in our first episode.

One of the things we love about Cover to Cover is we get to talk about our amazing team. Some of the team members mentioned in this episode are:
Daniel Gilman - @DanielGilman, Alanzo Paul - @AlanzoJulianPaul, Xandra Carroll - @xandrac, and Stuart McAllister - @Stuart_McAllister.

Some of the books and resources we mention are:

Jesus Among Secular God’s Bible Study:

Questioning Evangelism – Randy Newman
https://www.amazon.com/Questioning-Evangelism-Engaging-Peoples-Hearts/dp/0825444284/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2YPHB4E9A0IK7&dchild=1&keywords=questioning+evangelism+by+randy+newman&qid=1589546273&s=books&sprefix=questioning+%2Cstripbooks%2C154&sr=1-1

A Manual for Creating Atheists - Peter Boghossian
https://www.amazon.com/Manual-Creating-Atheists-Peter-Boghossian/dp/1939578094/ref=sr_1_1?crid=11PU6SJR36XKP&dchild=1&keywords=a+manual+for+creating+atheists&qid=1589546402&s=books&sprefix=a+manual+for+creat%2Cstripbooks%2C154&sr=1-1

In this episode we read through the subheading "Your Worldview Matters". Next episode we will pick up with the subheading “As Old as the Hills” and finish Chapter 1.

We hope this is helpful to you!

Grace and Peace,
Shawn

9 Likes

Access the podcast here!

5 Likes

So excited to listen to this and for the discussions to get started on Connect. Looking forward to journeying through Season 3 with you all, @Shawn_Hart, @Ivy_Tyson, and @Interested_In_Cover_to_Cover community!

7 Likes

Just curious- is this an update of Jesus among other Gods?

3 Likes

Hi Kathleen @plantaseed !
Thank you for your great question!
Jesus Among Secular Gods is really a new addition because it deals more with modern culture and secularism and is co-written with Vince Vitale. Jesus Among Other Gods (which is a great book too!) was aimed primarily at Eastern mysticism and New Age spirituality.
I think you will find this book to be a different animal.
I hope you join us here for podcasts and discussion!

5 Likes

@BloomHere
Hi April, I was wondering if there is a transcript for each episode’s podcast.

Thanks for your help (again),
~Lyla

2 Likes

Hi Lyla @LRFolkins !
This is a great question! No, there is not a transcript for each podcast, but it is something I’m hoping to make available in weeks to come at least for the podcasts we post on Connect. (I had some hearing loss as a child, and I love having access to extra resources.)

If you want to get a transcript you can do so by using “Live Transcribe” app available for Android and iPhone. You launch the app and make sure the “save file” option is on. Once the podcast is finished you have an opportunity to copy the transcript and move it to a Google Doc. This does not produce a faultless transcript (you may enjoy a decent laugh once in a while) and it’s all one paragraph. But once it’s in the Google doc you can format or just find the quote you may be looking for.
I hope this helps!

4 Likes

So excited for season 3, I’m coming in late as I ordered the wrong book and wanted to wait until I was reading before I commented. Amazon just delivered!
Chapter 1 Pt 1. My take a way(s)
-In light of current world events these words of Ravi’s speak loud and clear, “As the world is skidding out of control-politically, socially, economically, and racially- Jesus’ answers are unique and true and provide the only coherent worldview…”
-My experience with non believers has been similar to Ravi’s with atheists, there’s so much anger. Why? This is a question I need to ask, with sincere concern.
-Ivy’s challenge to ask myself who will I be talking to grips me. What questions am I asking? What could I be saying, doing, or thinking differently? Right now so many people’s hurts and fears are at the surface and even boiling over. Who am I loving on? who am I offering hope to? MY WORLDVIEW MATTERS
And… about the airport ask…(From 7 Myths) I asked my 18 year old granddaughter to take me, (i dreaded inconveniencing her) and it was a 45 minute drive recalling childhood memories and family mishaps and mayhem resulting in much laughter. I appreciated her and believe she felt it. So glad I didn’t call Uber.

3 Likes

@Ter, I’m so excited to see your post! I enjoyed reading your thoughts last season, and I’ve been missing you.

I didn’t catch the relevance of Ravi’s comment about the world skidding out of control because I read it months ago, long before the riots began. But I read the end of chapter 2 recently, and I was amazed at how much of it seemed to speak to our current social unrest. I’ll probably start a topic about that soon so we can discuss it. :slight_smile:

It’s so nice to see you here also Jennifer. I see you’re an academy alumni, what courses have you taken? I just finished the core module in March and must rewatch and refresh all I’ve learned. I’ll be watching for you to begin that new conversation thread.

1 Like

@Ter, I’ve only taken the Core Module and the Short Course that was offered at the beginning of the COVID-19 shutdown. I would love to take other courses, but right now my schedule doesn’t permit that. Every minute of my day is usually booked, and God has been telling me to slow down. I’m not good at that.

I pursue growth through RZIM podcasts and videos even when I can’t take courses, so today I went on YouTube and searched “RZIM Take 5” because I only had five minutes. The first video that came up was “The Joy of Working from a Place of Rest.” Another hint from God? I’ll share the link here since I was delighted to see how Raphael Anzenberger has Jesus Among Secular Gods displayed prominently on his bookshelf.

That was really good, thank you for sharing. I love this concept but it will take some intentional effort.

@Ter, I finally posted my question at Answers to Social Unrest in Jesus Among Secular Gods. I wish I could say I delayed in posting it because I was resting. Truthfully, my family is moving this summer, and I’m overwhelmed with work. I can listen to podcasts while packing and cleaning, though, so this might be a good thing.

God news!!!