Responding to 'Jesus was a yogi'

Hi guys

A good friend has sent me this clip and she wants to talk about it… listening to the first 10-15 minutes will be enough to give you the general idea.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi5XKGhRdkFjlaJi82C2gXg

There’s so many claims in this clip that’s are false I don’t really know where to start.

I’m not so much looking for ways to refuit all of the the claims (although if someone’s really keen go for it, would love some help or any resources that talk about these sorts of claims).

My question is how do I approach this… what questions can I ask… I was thinking of asking why the video appealed to her as a starter and then focusing on the claims that resonated with her.

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

5 Likes

@becky.giuliani I watched the start of the clip as you suggested. The good thing is that there is a lot of scripture and truth in the video, though absolutely jumbled up into lies.
I would say you are in a very good place to discuss Jesus and the truth of his life and teaching through this video.
Personally I would come at it from the worship side and talk about true worship. I would also recommend videos or books by believers who came out of the new age. Of course the historical facts of Jesus’ life will need to be presented. Instead of being a yogi where did Jesus’ power come from?
I love conversing with the kind of people who made this video as, ‘‘the Spirit that is in me is greater than the spirit in the world’’.
Another thing I have noticed in the lives of new agers is that they are usually a slave to a cretain kind of sin. Focusing on how Jesus can deliver us from sin, is something that helped me get away from this kind of belief.
So many open doors here to discuss, enjoy. I prayed for you and your friend this morning.
One other thing I will add is that the person who made this video is what I consider a real yoga practitioner, not the normal exercise kind I usually minister too. This whole thing of opening chakras is serious stuff and comes with a cost :weary:

5 Likes

I think you have a real opportunity to introduce your friend to Jesus.

I think you are spot on in your approach. Something attracts her to Jesus discuss that and point her to the cross.

Here is a video that addresses the subject from the point of view of an expert.:grinning:

The Gospel in Light of New Age Spirituality by Ravi Zacharias

2 Likes

@becky.giuliani, I have seen people misuse scripture out of context before but never to this extent! I actually went through the whole video. Verse after verse taken to suit own bias denuded of context! It’s hard to imagine that someone can compare the human nasal passage as being the narrow path to eternal life in Jesus! Praying God’s guidance in your conversations and openness in your friend’s heart to listen to what you have to say.

The video that Jimmy Sellers shared has ideas from Ravi Zacharias’s book, “Why Jesus- Rediscovering His Truth in an Age of Mass Marketed Spirituality”. I think this book will be very useful if you haven’t already read it for conversations with your friend.

A few questions that Ravi Zacharias says he might ask if he were in conversation with Oprah in this book may be helpful to open the conversation-

• Why is the spiritual side so important and what do you personally think true spiritual experience is?
  • When you use the term God, to what or whom do you refer? Is it not important to be right in our thinking about God?
  • What are your thoughts on the nature of sin?
  • Who do you think Jesus is?

Perhaps, you could even just go a little further in the chapter on the bible verses shared in the video to explain the context.

A couple important thoughts from this book -

• In New Spirituality, the “I” is lost in the desired union with the impersonal absolute, there is no more I and You. So the faith negates the person! There can no basis for love, gratitude, a personal relationship. Our purpose becomes vague without individuality.
  • The New Spirituality encourages a unified theory of God, a non-defined entity which makes the individual the ultimate test rather than the objectivity of a truth claim. They are unable to define evil.

The assertion that “Jesus was a yogi” includes the claim that Jesus traveled to India based on faulty evidence such as -

• the Hermis manuscripts in Tibet ( dealt by Max Mueller in his book, Jesus did not live in India)
  • the hindu scriptures called Bhavishya Purana (the authenticity of which has been questioned previously by scholars).
  • tomb in Kashmir
  • Other conspiracy theories based on no evidence or fabrications

Here’s a helpful article on how to answer this question whether Jesus traveled to India

Just a few thoughts…I hope this helps some in your conversations. May God open your friend’s heart to the enlightenment of the Holy Spirit through faith in Jesus.

7 Likes

Thank you @brianlalor - really appreciate your comments and suggestions on how to open up discussion. I hadn’t thought about talking about the real source of Jesus power… I think that could be a good point of discussion… Jesus spoke clearly about where his power came from and it’s a great way to talk about the Father and the work of the Holy Spirit as persons in relationship rather than an impersonal force. Thanks again :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you so much @Lakshmismehta.
Really appreciate you taking the time to watch it all and for your prayers - yes it made my head spin a little, there were many, many unsubstantiated claims!

The questions from Ravi’s book are really helpful thank you, and I had no idea where the claim that Jesus was a Yogi came from so the article and dot points are a great place for me to start.

Thank you again :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you @Jimmy_Sellers - sounds perfect!

1 Like

This is similar to where Bethel Church in Redding is going. New Age and metaphysics. Straying from the true gospel but disguising it as Christianity. Their new book, The Physics of Heaven starts to go into this kind of thing. Frightening that so many Christians will believe this!