@becky.giuliani, I have seen people misuse scripture out of context before but never to this extent! I actually went through the whole video. Verse after verse taken to suit own bias denuded of context! It’s hard to imagine that someone can compare the human nasal passage as being the narrow path to eternal life in Jesus! Praying God’s guidance in your conversations and openness in your friend’s heart to listen to what you have to say.
The video that Jimmy Sellers shared has ideas from Ravi Zacharias’s book, “Why Jesus- Rediscovering His Truth in an Age of Mass Marketed Spirituality”. I think this book will be very useful if you haven’t already read it for conversations with your friend.
A few questions that Ravi Zacharias says he might ask if he were in conversation with Oprah in this book may be helpful to open the conversation-
- Why is the spiritual side so important and what do you personally think true spiritual experience is?
- When you use the term God, to what or whom do you refer? Is it not important to be right in our thinking about God?
- What are your thoughts on the nature of sin?
- Who do you think Jesus is?
Perhaps, you could even just go a little further in the chapter on the bible verses shared in the video to explain the context.
A couple important thoughts from this book -
- In New Spirituality, the “I” is lost in the desired union with the impersonal absolute, there is no more I and You. So the faith negates the person! There can no basis for love, gratitude, a personal relationship. Our purpose becomes vague without individuality.
- The New Spirituality encourages a unified theory of God, a non-defined entity which makes the individual the ultimate test rather than the objectivity of a truth claim. They are unable to define evil.
The assertion that “Jesus was a yogi” includes the claim that Jesus traveled to India based on faulty evidence such as -
- the Hermis manuscripts in Tibet ( dealt by Max Mueller in his book, Jesus did not live in India)
- the hindu scriptures called Bhavishya Purana (the authenticity of which has been questioned previously by scholars).
- tomb in Kashmir
- Other conspiracy theories based on no evidence or fabrications
Here’s a helpful article on how to answer this question whether Jesus traveled to India
Just a few thoughts…I hope this helps some in your conversations. May God open your friend’s heart to the enlightenment of the Holy Spirit through faith in Jesus.