Response to “what is before God(The Trinity) “

(Eason (Yee Sheng) Neoh) #1

I often bring out the question of reincarnation to Buddhist/Hinduism/Taoism about the question “what is the first of reincarnation” to indicate and bring up the creation concept & the problem of reincarnation.
The question back to me was “What is before God?/How did your God become God?/How did your God start?”; some of them’re genuinely trying to understand how our God, the triune God has come to be the supreme being. My response to them was He is the ultimate Beginning, no one knows how he is there since the beginning, it doesn’t seem to be satisfying, though I am curious how He is, has always been, too.
Please advise! :thinking:

(SeanO) #2

@neoeason92 Every worldview has questions that it is unable to answer. We human beings are finite creatures and our access to knowledge is limited. The best we can do is to choose that worldview which makes the best sense out of our questions with the answers it does provide - meaning, morality, origin and destiny and we have strong evidence that Christianity is the most rational on all four fronts.

If God is truly God, we should not expect to be able to explain Him - that is part of what it means for Him to be God. A question we can answer is, ‘Do we have sufficient evidence that we can trust that Jesus is who He claimed to be?’ and the answer is yes.

And better yet, we can know God in relationship. And the best way to ultimately answer the validity of Jesus’ claims is to know Him - to love Him and walk with Him and experience His goodness and majesty.

Isaiah 40:28-31 - Do you not know?
Have you not heard?
The Lord is the everlasting God,
the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary,
and his understanding no one can fathom.
29 He gives strength to the weary
and increases the power of the weak.
30 Even youths grow tired and weary,
and young men stumble and fall;
31 but those who hope in the Lord
will renew their strength.

Romans 1:20 - For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

(Eason (Yee Sheng) Neoh) #3

Thanks!

(Anthony Costello ) #4

@neoeason92

Fascinating question, Eason. So, I am not terribly familiar with Buddhist, Hindu, or Taoist metaphysics, but do they not have a concept of eternality? If they do, then what exactly is the problem with the concept of a being that exists both necessarily (i.e. God could not have not existed in any possible world), and also eternally (that God exists timelessly prior to creation)? If God is the supreme being, then necessarily He was always so, He did not become so. For to move from not being God to being God would not be a property of a supreme Being, but of a contingent being. By definition a supreme Being just IS.

The Bible itself points to the reality that God just is the ground of all being:

13 Moses said to God, “Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you,’ and they ask me, ‘What is his name?’ Then what shall I tell them?”

14 God said to Moses, “I am who I am." (Exodus 3:13-14)

So, God exists by the necessity of His own nature. In the language of Thomas Aquinas, He is pure act. In God there is no potentiality that must be actualized, God is fully actualized, thus God does not become God, again GOD IS.

I don’t think those are incoherent concepts, especially since time is something that would come into existence upon God’s act of creation. Moreover, we know from philosophical argumentation and scientific investigation that the universe is contingent (i.e. the universe is not necessary). So, time, as we experience it, is also a contingent reality.

Not sure if that helps. Hopefully I’m not confusing the issue. I would recommend some of the work by William Lane Craig an issues of God’s necessary existence.

in Christ,
Anthony