Responses to display

(Arthur Tepichin) #1

Stayed at a hotel in North Carolina and this was on display. What should the response be?

http://aeqai.com/main/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Vilasini-Last-Supper-Gaza.jpg

(Melvin Greene) #2

Well, there’s something you don’t see everyday. I’m not sure how I would react to this picture. Where exactly was this picture displayed. I mean, was it in the lobby, or in your room? Was there a plaque, or something with information about the picture? I’m just very curious about it’s origins.

(Arthur Tepichin) #3

It’s a piece titled Last Supper-Gaza’ by Vivek Vilasini

It’s in the lobby/first floor. It’s in a hotel that has a pieces on display on the first floor/check in area.

They just have the name of the piece and artist by the work. The lobby has lots of different pieces. Below are additional photos for scale and further context.

imageimage

(SeanO) #4

@Tepichin Thank you for sharing. I must say that when I first saw this painting it jumped off the screen and shocked me.

Below is the best bio I was able to find quickly for Vivek Vilasini. Based on this very brief snippet it and on his other paintings, it seems his work is intended cause dissonance in the viewer that will highlight the fluid nature of the world and the way globalization changes culture.

Based on my initial emotional response I would say he succeeded. He has another Last Supper type painting I posted below.

Now that I understand his background better - I would say that if you are viewing the painting with others it definitely provides opportunities to discuss multicultural cooperation and how religions / cultures should interface in the modern world.

Do you guys see any good angles for turning the conversation in an evangelistic direction?

"Born in 1964, in Trishur, Kerala, Vivek Vilasini trained as a Marine Radio Officer at the All India Marine College in Kochi, and then obtained a Bachelor’s degree in Political Science from Kerala University in 1987 before turning to art and studying sculpture from traditional Indian craftspeople.

In his work Vilasini examines our existing social structures, adapting various expressions of cultural identity prevalent in society today to raise questions about the continually changing global scenario that every individual struggles to keep pace with. Vilasini’s large-format photographs evoke delicate ironies that impact existing ideologies, and influence the cultural and social consciousness of the viewer. "