Romans 1

(chandra kishore sardar) #1
  1. What is the differnce between saying the ‘rightoeus shall live by faith’ and he who is righteous by faith shall live?
  2. Why are we already called saints or holy ones ? Or is it something that we anticipate to be called in the future ?
  3. How do we bring about the distinction between rightoeusness and holiness ?
  4. If we have been justified by faith and are righteous because of Him, then what would it be mean to say that santification is a process?

(SeanO) #2

@chandrakishore May I ask what was the cause / occasion for asking these questions?

1. Are these alternate translations of Romans 1:17?

2. The word ‘saint’ is from ‘hagios’, which means ‘holy’. To be ‘holy’ is to be set apart unto God. Israel was called ‘holy unto the Lord’ because, even though they weren’t perfect, God had ‘set them aside’ for His special purposes as His special nations. We are called 'saint’s or ‘set apart ones’ because we have been made holy in Christ - we are ‘in Christ’ - and therefore ‘holy’ or ‘set apart’ for God.

3. Do you mean righteousness and holiness in general or in some specific passage / context?

4. Justification is being declared righteous because you have been covered by Christ’s sacrifice. Sanctification is the process of becoming like Christ. We are justified as soon as we repent of our sins and accept Jesus. But sanctification is the process of becoming who God has already declared us to be in Christ.

Justification is God’s declaring the sinner righteous; sanctification is God’s renewing and transforming our whole persons—our minds, wills, affections, and behaviors.

(chandra kishore sardar) #3

Few months back when i was leading the cell, I had few doubts and questions as we were studying from the book of Romans 1 through 8. Sorry that i mentioned only Romans 1. The questions that i have asked are from the course we were following and one of them was my personal . We had good discussion and i was curious and wanting to learn from how others here at the forum would answer these questions.

1. I suppose they are alternate translations. Here’s what the guide from the study course had to say about it.
  2. I mean in general but those those quite often come up in Romans 1 through 8.

(SeanO) #4

@chandrakishore Ah, I see. Thank you for that clarification. I would say that:

1 - Translation

I see no substantive difference between the two translations - ‘He who is righteous by faith shall live’ and ‘the righteous shall live by faith’. The point that your study course was making is that Romans 1-4 is about how we are made righteous by faith and Romans 5-8 is about living in the fullness of that faith. So they believe that in this verse Paul is laying out his plan for the first half of the book - how we are made righteous by faith and how we live out that faith by living a holy life by the power of God’s Spirit.

So I do not think that there is any difference between those two phrases. Rather, your study course was using this verse to make a point about how Romans is structured and felt that providing these translations strengthened their case for that structure.

Righteousness and Holiness

Regarding righteousness and holiness, entire books have been written on each and I am quite out of my depths to offer a full explanation that is brief. But I will have a go at it.

Righteousness can be most simply thought of as ‘right living in relation to God and others’ when it is applied to a human. When applied to God, righteousness most often means that God is faithful to keep His covenant promises to those who have called upon His name and to describe His character as one who defends the poor, the orphan, the widow and the person who does what is right.

When we accept Jesus, we are ‘declared righteous’ even though we still sin - that is called justfication - it’s ‘just as if we never sinned’ because Jesus has shed His blood for us. Sanctification is the process of becoming righteous in our heart, mind and actions - it is a journey of allowing the Holy Spirit to transform us into who we have been declared to be in Christ.

Holiness is ‘set apartness’. When we say that God is ‘Holy, Holy’ we mean that there is no one like Him - He alone is God - His thoughts are not our thoughts and His ways are not our ways. He alone is truly righteous and faithful and good - the source of all good things.

I Samuel 2:2 - There is no one holy like the LORD, Indeed, there is no one besides You, Nor is there any rock like our God.

I Chronicles 17:20 -O LORD, there is none like You, nor is there any God besides You, according to all that we have heard with our ears.

I Kings 8:23 - He said, "O LORD, the God of Israel, there is no God like You in heaven above or on earth beneath, keeping covenant and showing lovingkindness to Your servants who walk before You with all their heart…

To say that we are ‘holy’ is to say that we are ‘set apart’ unto God. God has accepted us as His own through Christ and we are ‘saints’ or ‘set apart ones’. In Christ we are conformed to the image of Christ and set apart for God.

So holiness is more about being ‘set apart’ for God or about God being utterly Himself. Righteousness is more about ‘right living’ in relation to God and others as well as God’s righteousness in dealing with mankind. But there is a connection between the two. One who is ‘holy unto the Lord’ must live a righteous life in accordance with God’s commands.