Romans:10-9

(Tsilise) #1

“That if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and “believe in from your heart” that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved”.
In reference to this particularly verse, i personally think, “confess with mouth” is just a mere utterance however “believe in from your heart” seem to me as having much more deeper existential entailments and underpining as a result of having to believe in from heart. I would love to know some more insights, please.

(Billie Corbett) #2

I agree, totally.
But, don’t under estimate the confession of the mouth, especially in this post truth culture.
Stating you believe in Christ…in the gospel…is foolishness to the world. ( 1 Corinth. 1: 18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. … But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God. … But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise…)
Confessing with our mouths provides the opportunity, if it is wanted, to have a meaningful conversation about reality and faith. (Most people in our modern culture are not interested in having that conversation. But, stating your position of faith is an important confession.
“For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes: first to the Jew, then to the Gentile.” Romans 1: 16.)

Believing in your heart, is what gives rise to the confession of your mouth. If you believe in your heart, it is impossible for you not to say what you believe. (Of course, God needs to be in control of how we engage and interact in the world. But, word and deed… are joined together in our life of faith.)

(Lindsay Brandt) #3

Hello, I understand what you are saying completely. But I would echo what Jesus said in Mathew 12:34: “You brood of vipers! How can you speak good things, when you are evil? For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks” or Luke 6:43-45: “For there is no good tree which produces bad fruit, nor, on the other hand, a bad tree which produces good fruit. For each tree is known by its own fruit. For men do not gather figs from thorns, nor do they pick grapes from a brier bush. The good person out of the good treasure of the heart produces good, and the evil person out of evil treasure produces evil; for it is out of the abundance of the heart that the mouth speaks.” Again, in Mathew 7:15-20, Jesus, in speaking of false teachers, says you will know them by their fruits. Of course, this refers to more than words. However, it includes words.
Just some thoughts to chew on :).

(Jimmy Sellers) #4

This will be a slightly different spin but one that I am sure a 1st audience would relate to. It was an expression of gratitude to the giver for a gift that was priceless. This was in response to topic a while back but I think that it will help with how you understand and how it would have been understood by the man on the street in the 1st century.